PDA

View Full Version : AC&W Plaque

Iron Mike
06-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Just finished this (5 hour carve time) plaque that is to be a surprise for a good friend that has coordinated our annual reunions and hosted our website for many years.

Done on Ash (14x30.5) with a clear finish. The terms and words are unique or common to those who served in the Aircraft Control & Warning radar career fields . . . . it should bring back a memory or two each time he looks at it.

The logo is reverse printed on a transparency - the wood grain shows through areas which are normally white which is much better than using a printed photo I believe.

dbemus
06-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Iron Mike
Beautiful piece of work! I am sure your friend will treasure this greatly. Nice job on the lettering!

Chip
06-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Mike,

Your plaque is indeed a real work of art! I am intrigued by your "logo is reverse printed on a transparency" Would you please explain this process?

Chip

Iron Mike
06-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Mike,

Your plaque is indeed a real work of art! I am intrigued by your "logo is reverse printed on a transparency" Would you please explain this process?

Chip

Thanks Chip -

A transparency is what is used for graphic presentations using an overhead projector (old school stuff these days). If you check the 'media' options in the paper/quality drop box for printing a photo you should see all the paper options, i.e., plain paper, photo, iron-on transfer, Transparency Film and so on. Selecting Transparency Film will automatically reverse the image and you print it on the 'textured side'; when viewed from the 'smooth' (top) side the image is correctly oriented. You should give it a seal coat to prevent ink from running if you want to glue it to something. Ends up looking like it's printed on a clear plastic document protector.

Mike

The left image is printed on glossy photo paper and the right image is printed on a transparency (viewed from the front side). Zoom in and you can clearly see the window screen through the transparency.

DianMayfield
06-08-2015, 05:33 PM
A fun thing to try is to print it on label backing. Peel all of the address labels off, leaving the strip along the top. Print on the shiny side, an ink jet printer is needed. Invert the image (or choose transparency if your printer has it). It will come out of the printer wet (ink didn't soak in). Carefully place on your wood and rub it in with a credit card or sponge. It will look like the old decals on fruit crates. Not as vibrant as the one below, but definitely a cool effect.

cestout
06-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Interesting technique! My last 2 of 4 years in the Air Force were running the power plant at an AC&W site outside of Ajo Arizona. That was in 59 and 60. The site has long since been cleared. The sent me there from Thule Greenland. A shocking change in climate.
Clint

Iron Mike
06-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Interesting technique! My last 2 of 4 years in the Air Force were running the power plant at an AC&W site outside of Ajo Arizona. That was in 59 and 60. The site has long since been cleared. The sent me there from Thule Greenland. A shocking change in climate.
Clint

Do you know about the Radar Site Vets reunion in Dayton, OH 28 Jun - 3 Jul? Next year it's to be in the Wisconsin Dells - just an hour away from us . . . . finaly one close to home! JOIN US?

i spent 20 years in ADC/TAC radar (maintenance) with 4 years at the Radar Eval Sq Hill AFB, UT where I went TDY to many, many sites but didn't get to Ajo . . . retired out of Luke AFB, AZ however.

DonCP
06-09-2015, 01:03 PM
This was a cool technique. Dumb question? Do you use Inkjet or laser jet? Plan on trying it.

Guess I had it easy at SAC at Offutt AFB working on RC-135's. I was a recon guy.

Iron Mike
06-09-2015, 01:18 PM
This was a cool technique. Dumb question? Do you use Inkjet or laser jet? Plan on trying it.

Guess I had it easy at SAC at Offutt AFB working on RC-135's. I was a recon guy.

I use an inkjet - it will work with laser but you print on the 'SMOOTH' side. The 3M Multipurpose Transparency Film that I am using has instructions/printer compatibility info on the back of the package. Other brands may differ so check out the instructions.

CNC Carver
06-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Great work Iron Mike!
Jeff

ktjwilliams
06-09-2015, 09:15 PM
That's nice ....

Chip
06-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Maybe I missed something somewhere. I have a laser printer. How is the print we print out put on the board? Do you finish the board before applying or ?

Thanks, Chip

Iron Mike
06-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Maybe I missed something somewhere. I have a laser printer. How is the print we print out put on the board? Do you finish the board before applying or ?

Thanks, Chip

Chip -

Guess there could be different methods to attach the film to the board. I used a spray adhesive on the back side then did a couple of finish coats over the board as usual. I would think anything to keep it in place while you do the finish would work. Doubt that you should do any 'sanding' over the film between coats so a spray lacquer might be a good option for final finishing.

Chip
06-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Thanks Mike,

That answered my question. Thanks for the info. Any information on different methods used to get to the end product by forum members is appreciated.

Chip