PDA

View Full Version : Melted plastic on flex shaft

sw123man
06-07-2015, 10:15 PM
I started a carve and left waiting for the carve portion to finish, the machine stopped like normal wanting the next bit to continue.But theflex shaft covering was in pieces and seems to have melted in spots.Anysuggestions on what caused this?

bergerud
06-07-2015, 10:41 PM
I think the most common cause of a flex over heating is compression. The flex core, for some reason, has stopped free floating in the sheath. Check the ends of the core for frays or twists. Carefully take out the silencing spring and inspect it.

Re-lube the core, make sure it is freely floating when you put it back together. The core may already have been damaged by the heat. You probably need to buy a whole new flex assembly.

dltccf
06-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Have you recently relubed the shaft and if so what kind of lube did you use?

sw123man
06-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Have you recently relubed the shaft and if so what kind of lube did you use?

NO I HAVE NOT , i HAVENT USED THE MACHINE THAT MUCH

Old Salt
06-08-2015, 01:32 PM
no i have not , i havent used the machine that much
and a bad day to!

cestout
06-08-2015, 06:12 PM
I have done 2 Woodworking shows for CarveWright - 2 years apart. In both cases the brand new C machine they sent, the shafts ran hotter than I was comfortable with. I lubricated the shafts of the new machines to mitigate the problem. Always - new or old machine - watch the shaft temp.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Many years ago I kinked the damper spring and the inner core rubbing created heat and melted my flex..

sw123man
06-10-2015, 02:41 AM
many years ago i kinked the damper spring and the inner core rubbing created heat and melted my flex..
i'm busy this week but will check it out this weekend, i'm halfway in a project that i need to get done

Mugsowner
06-10-2015, 05:22 AM
I call it no use abuse. Lubes of this type have solvents in them to allow them to flow into very tight places. Over time theywill dry out to the point that they are no longer good to use as a lube.

scootertrash
06-28-2015, 12:45 PM
I started a carve and left waiting for the carve portion to finish, the machine stopped like normal wanting the next bit to continue.But theflex shaft covering was in pieces and seems to have melted in spots.Anysuggestions on what caused this?

Wow that must have gotten hot. I had one get to 173 or so and it didn't melt the outer cover. It was shrieking like a banshee though. I almost always had trouble with that flex shaft. Almost always ran hot.

My advice is to lube the flex shaft per the video, using the lube from LHR, and hanging it and letting it dry at least overnight. That's the only thing that made my original cable run at normal temps. Although if it got hot enough to melt the outer cover things may be nasty inside.

smurfjeep
06-28-2015, 09:11 PM
I would like to see a temp gauge sticker (like the ones seen on delicate temperature sensitive equipment) that changes color after the component reaches a set temp. This would be my first early warning that there was a problem. I am bad, and only periodically check on my machine when it is running. I know this could burn (no pun intended) me someday, but with my machine and my DC system, the small garage I have is too loud to hang around. Any body seen these stickers (decals). Thanks