PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 upcoming release

jab73180
06-06-2015, 10:06 AM
So as many of you probably know, windows is releasing version 10 at the end of July. If you have windows 7 or 8, 10 will be a free upgrade. But only for a year, after that you will have to pay. That's great news as long as 10 is a decent upgrade.
So here comes my questions.
1. Will the carvewright software run on it at the end of July right out of the box?
2. If not, how long will it take?
3. Are we going to be able to take advantage of the free upgrade?

The very brief research I have done, it looks pretty good. There are always bugs though. In a perfect world, everything will work in perfect harmony, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

cestout
06-07-2015, 07:36 PM
I just downloaded a 81 page book/white paper called "inside Windows 10". It is on this computer, but also on my laptop so I can sit in my recliner and read - when I get time.
Clint

eelamb
06-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Yes widows 10 is being released. but read the fine print. You are a beta tester with the free version.

jab73180
06-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Yes widows 10 is being released. but read the fine print. You are a beta tester with the free version.
Even if I'm not apart of the insider program?

RMarkey
06-08-2015, 10:48 AM
When you upgrade to 10, you give up your win 7 or 8 license, with no way to get it back. Be sure of the commitment you're making.

That being said, I tested an early beta version of win 10 and the designer worked fine on it. ymmv.

I'm not a huge fan of 8, 8.1, or 10 as the apps can quickly get anyone confused. Apps are separate and many times duplicated with a standard "windows" version and a "metro" version. Finding settings can be tough -- you either use the control panel for the "windows" version, or you can use the equivalent "metro" app you find using the search function.

jab73180
06-08-2015, 10:58 AM
I want to make sure everything works fine if I upgrade. I have 8.1 now, but like the looks of 10 better. Is it true about what eelamb wrote? I do realize that I can't go backwards. I'm just thinking that if bill gates is offering free access to 10, that he realizes 7 and 8 suck.

RMarkey
06-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure about the beta-tester thing. I doubt that would be the case when the release officially comes out.

I don't believe MS thinks 7 or 8 sucks, either. I think they want to keep people upgraded so they can phase out older OS's, in the way Apple does. MS wants more people developing for win 10, so giving it away free makes sense.

Review the following web page as part of your decision. There are hardware requirements involved. Especially if your PC is more than 4 years old.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Bigtyme
06-08-2015, 11:16 AM
I like 7 and am still researching 10, but my big concern with 7 is that as with XP, they stopped supporting it and while it still using it on one laptop, it isn't what it used to be. I am afraid 7 will soon fall in the same barrel...

mtylerfl
06-08-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm just fine with Win 7 also. Stable and does what it's supposed to do...let's me get my work done without any user interface hassles, etc. I absolutely hate Win 8 interface. I haven't seen Win 10 yet, but I sure do hope its interface is similar to 7!! (I do NOT want GIANT-SIZED icons or menus or links anywhere on my screen.)

RMarkey
06-08-2015, 11:30 AM
I doubt that would be anytime soon. The initial release of 10 will be buggy - personally I would wait for them to work out the issues.

Here's some things to consider from Microsoft about 10:

For certain third party applications, the “Get Windows 10” app will scan for application compatibility. If there is a known issue that will prevent the upgrade, you will be notified of the list of applications with known issues. You can choose to accept and the applications will be removed from the system prior to upgrade. Please be sure to copy the list before you accept the removal of the application.
I interpret this as "some apps won't work".

Windows Media Center will be removed.
Say goodbye to watching DVDs on your pc.

Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10
Gadgets were killed if you upgrade to IE 11, but I like mine, so I avoided that upgrade.

Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
I interpret this as "we force your pc to download and install updates".

Bigtyme
06-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Very good info, Metallus... I appreciate your perspective and agree that at a minimum should wait a bit for the initial bugs to be identified and taken care of...

jab73180
06-08-2015, 11:51 AM
I had windows 7 on a netbook, so that's not a fair comparison. And I liked that better than 8.1 on my big laptop.

cestout
06-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Here is more info:
http://www.howtogeek.com/218880/windows-10-is-almost-here-heres-what-you-need-to-know/
Clint

eelamb
06-09-2015, 02:17 PM
I was trying to be nice in what I stated but beta was the wrong word. Read this article, I am not saying windows 10 is good or bad, but you should know a few facts before doing the free upgrade. http://www.infoworld.com/article/2932295/microsoft-windows/windows-10-reality-check-separating-fact-from-fiction.html
Microsoft's plan is to get everyone on the same operating system, no more asking what op system are you on. Windows 10 has a whole lot of hidden features just read about Cortana, and what it does using bing. At least they are bringing back the run bar and the start menu, and even letting you decide to have the metro screen. Problem as I see it is the business world. Like the one customer I just upgraded, they have 4 servers each with 25 users, an applications server, server 2012, document management server, server 2008, exchange server 2008 and a TS server 2008. The upgrade of their software was $89,000, and hardware ran another $30,000 plus, not counting labor to install, export, import data, and get the company back up and running. Companies like this can not afford to make the changes as quickly as Microsoft comes out with new software. Nor can the developers of these high dollar software package keep up with the changes as quickly as they are made. Getting the company up to windows 7 was a major ordeal, now to even think about moving them to windows 10 for free before it is tested out on their software is unthinkable. My State customers will always be behind as state IT development moves slowly with limited budgets.

CNC Carver
06-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Eddie you are right State IT is slow. IT in Michigan working hard at moving off 2003 servers.

mathman
06-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Say goodbye to watching DVDs on your pc.

Why? You mean they're removing Media Player also?

Gadgets were killed if you upgrade to IE 11, but I like mine, so I avoided that upgrade.

Interesting. I upgraded to IE 11 (don't use it much) on the laptop I have Win7 but my gadgets didn't disappear.

FWMiller
06-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Just because media player isn't bundled with windows don't assume you won't be able to watch dvd's. This is actually a good thing because you will be able to choose your own media player. Just like mobile OS's windows now uses lots of apps that can be downloaded for free or for a fee.

Also, If you register for the free upgrade you will have up to a year to install it after the release according to the faq.

cestout
06-19-2015, 07:26 PM
An icon appeared in my tool tray a couple of days age called Get Windows 10. I do a full backup on the first of the month. I may try it after that so I can undo it if needed. I did this for years on phone company switching computers (soft ware upgrades) and it always makes me nervous.
Clint

dltccf
06-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Were those 5ESS, DMS 100, or EWSD switches? I have a few years with the phone company myself.

want2b
06-20-2015, 09:09 PM
I started with #2 ess, went to 2B switches then moved into DMS 10 for m y first digital switches before finally getting a taste of the 5ESS and touched on the DMS100. Been a while. often wondered about where they have evolved since the worlds focus has moved to the wireless networks.
Rick H

dltccf
06-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Mostly went to voip switches like Nortel succession and such. But there are still a lot of 5Es around providing dial tone.

cestout
06-21-2015, 04:05 PM
I started on the frame then a short time installing outside, then Step by Step and #1 X bar tandem. Then I was in the second #1ESS in Calif. ('69) then 1A ESS. DMS 100 and 5E when they came out. By the time I retired from the temp job I took to get me thru college in 1961, it was 2001 and I was qualified for everything, switching and transport, in all the offices in the San Gabriel and San Fernando valleys. I worked night shift for the last about 25 years of that time.
Clint.

Geomoo1
06-21-2015, 06:17 PM
I was a central office equipment installer for Western Electric/ATT/Lucent for 30 yrs. until I retired in Dec. 1999. Worked on everything from X-bar to #5ESS. I even got to see the last panel office in operation in NYC. Now THAT was a sight to see.

RogerB
06-21-2015, 06:25 PM
How will this work with 1.87 has that been looked at also. Will we have to change to 3 for the CW.

jab73180
06-24-2015, 10:09 AM
here is something i found interesting

http://www.howtogeek.com/219782/is-windows-10-backwards-compatible-with-your-existing-software/

RogerB
06-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks jab73180 .Nice info. on windows 10

jab73180
06-24-2015, 04:46 PM
I think I will reserve my copy.

SteveNelson46
06-25-2015, 01:29 PM
I always install any new software in a VM (virtual machine). Hyper-V comes with windows 8 and is very handy for installing different operating systems on the same machine and testing new software. When Windows 10 is released I will install it in a VM and then install all of my critical programs for testing before I actually commit to installing it on the main HD. If anything goes awry you just just delete the VM and no harm done. You can also do it the other way around by installing Windows 10 on your main disk and then installing Hyper-V with Windows 8. Assuming Windows 10 has Hyper-V or equivalent there of.

RMarkey
07-29-2015, 09:56 AM
One more reason to hold off on Windows 10...

solitare is no longer free. It's 1.49/month or 9.99/year.

unless you like advertisements...

(this info isn't verified - it may only be for a tablet version of "microsoft solitare collection". I'm installing the new OS today and will see.)

eelamb
07-30-2015, 03:24 PM
You are right windows 10 does not have games, they are a bundle you pay for now days. Plus Hyper v is part of windows 10. I am posting this using windows 10 and edge the new IE.

lynnfrwd
07-30-2015, 03:28 PM
I hope the new IE is friendlier than the old IE. It did not like downloading all of the files for Designer from our website and it did not like people using it to shop in our store.

eelamb
07-30-2015, 03:41 PM
IE is gone in windows 10. It has been replaced by a program called edge. You can still use firefox on w10. Have not nor will I try chrome. For those interested in downloading windows 10, go to microsoft.com, follow the large banner to the download. There you will see a media content program that will download a 18M file. Running this will allow you to download windows 10 to a usb drive, an ISO file, and download 32bit, 64bit, home, and pro of windows 10 for later installation on any computer that qualifies for the upgrade. All you need is a windows 10 product key to install it.
Windows 10 is about like windows 7, the start popup is different, but there is no app buttons on the main screen (at least not this one). Tech areas are still there, just different as to how to get to them. But remember vista and 7 they did the same thing, made us look for them. Plan to get LHR to deactivate the laptop install of designer i have so I can install designer on the 10 machine. (oh the 10 is a new machine built for this purpose, threw a windows 7 pro version on it and then windows 10 download. So it is a clean install.)

lynnfrwd
07-30-2015, 03:47 PM
IE is gone in windows 10. It has been replaced by a program called edge. You can still use firefox on w10. Have not nor will I try chrome. For those interested in downloading windows 10, go to microsoft.com, follow the large banner to the download. There you will see a media content program that will download a 18M file. Running this will allow you to download windows 10 to a usb drive, an ISO file, and download 32bit, 64bit, home, and pro of windows 10 for later installation on any computer that qualifies for the upgrade. All you need is a windows 10 product key to install it.
Windows 10 is about like windows 7, the start popup is different, but there is no app buttons on the main screen (at least not this one). Tech areas are still there, just different as to how to get to them. But remember vista and 7 they did the same thing, made us look for them. Plan to get LHR to deactivate the laptop install of designer i have so I can install designer on the 10 machine. (oh the 10 is a new machine built for this purpose, threw a windows 7 pro version on it and then windows 10 download. So it is a clean install.)

WARNING: If you upgrade to Windows 10 (or any other operating system), it may change your computer ID and require you to re-register your Designer Software.
You must have Licenses Available to install like a new computer.
If you don't have licenses available, and you do this during NON-WORKING HOURS, we cannot help you until the following business day. (I cannot access that from home to help you in the evening or during the weekend.)
If you need a computer deactivated, let us know which one to deactivate and we will be happy to do that for you.

I am not necessarily saying DON'T upgrade to Windows 10. I'm just saying it may leave you without access to your Designer licenses when you do until we can deactivate the old computer registration.

eelamb
07-30-2015, 04:34 PM
AGREE with Connie, do this only during working hours. I just had one license deactivated and now have designer 1.187 running on a windows 10 machine and registered with all my software/patterns. Card reader was readable by designer, and I wrote to the flash card. So it is working great.

Remember if you upgrade this is a one way road no turning back. Notice I did it on a new machine. Or like Steve do the hyper v thing.

rickroy
07-31-2015, 06:07 AM
Windows 10, I like it. It is a return to a simpler desktop and for me, increased functionality. No problems with Designer (version 3) Sculptor or any of my licensed programs thus far. As far as using Windows 10 for all of the other programs I own it has been terrific. A new feature called "Task View" show you all open windows making switching from one program to another a breeze .. faster than Alt Tab even. Thumbs up.

cestout
07-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Thank you Rickroy, that is the info I was looking for. Did you have any license problem the Connie suggested might happen?
Clint

DonCP
08-03-2015, 05:07 PM
I have upgraded 2 machines to Windows 10. So far everything has worked except Norton Anti-Virus. Designer Pro, Sculptor, Pattern editor all work fine.

If you don't want to wait you can download it from Microsoft.

cestout
08-06-2015, 05:54 PM
If your Norton it 22.5 it is good for Win 10. Got to help then about to check.
Clint

henry1
08-06-2015, 06:07 PM
If your Norton it 22.5 it is good for Win 10. Got to help then about to check.
Clint

There is an anti virus that come with window 10

lynnfrwd
08-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Designer seems to be working fine with Windows 10, however MANY (not all) are being given a new Computer ID and requiring us to deactivate the old registration.

Also, if you get the error that files have been moved or missing, others on here have discovered that shutting down the computer and bringing it back up fixes the problem.

Bigtyme
08-07-2015, 10:08 AM
I was one of those folks who needed to deactivate and re-activate. Connie was able to help me in a snap and windows 10 and designer are working together just fine....

TerryT
08-07-2015, 02:03 PM
My desktop machine is a fairly new ASUS i7, 12 gig memory and 2TB HD, NVIDIA GTX750 1gig.
It was rendered useless after installing Win10.

Had to remove it and go back to 8.1 but I didn't have much to do with that half a day anyway.

rickroy
08-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Thank you Rick Roy, that is the info I was looking for. Did you have any license problem the Connie suggested might happen?
Clint
I had no problems at all Clint. No problems with Designer or Sculptor or any of the other programs that I own. It all loaded seamlessly and operates beautifully. And as stated, I like it much better than 8.1. I did wonder where Norton went and I am finding answers here! WHo knew.