PDA

View Full Version : Computer readouts

edsingletary
06-03-2015, 04:24 PM
I am only a 1 year CarveWright guy, so I have much to learn. So with that statement I am going to ask, what may be obvious to you pros, to me I'm not sure.

Below I listed what stats I could get out of my machine. By looking at these numbers can anyone tell me what I may need to do to the Machine that may preclude a breakdown, it's running nicely at the moment but who knows.

Readout

Cut motor on time 158
Total power on 225
Servoing time 167
Scanning time 26 minutes

I already replaced the power supply at about 200 hours.

Servoing, what at exactly is servoing anyway.

I do the cable thingy about50 hours with the CarveWright lube. (Expensive kind)

I'm not afraid of maintenance, spent too many years in the military so I rather stop it before it breaks.

Thanks to all you guys/gals for your help during my first year here.

fwharris
06-03-2015, 06:30 PM
I am only a 1 year CarveWright guy, so I have much to learn. So with that statement I am going to ask, what may be obvious to you pros, to me I'm not sure.

Below I listed what stats I could get out of my machine. By looking at these numbers can anyone tell me what I may need to do to the Machine that may preclude a breakdown, it's running nicely at the moment but who knows.

Readout

Cut motor on time 158
Total power on 225
Servoing time 167
Scanning time 26 minutes

I already replaced the power supply at about 200 hours.

Servoing, what at exactly is servoing anyway.

I do the cable thingy about50 hours with the CarveWright lube. (Expensive kind)

I'm not afraid of maintenance, spent too many years in the military so I rather stop it before it breaks.

Thanks to all you guys/gals for your help during my first year here.

Cut motor time = how many hours you have been carving and the machine has been running. This is the number to go by for machine maintenance. The magic number for most thing to be taken care of is around 250 hours. Things to look at replacing is the cut motor brushes and the Y gear box bearings. If you are doing a regular job of cleaning and lubing the Y and Z rails and the bearings faces, the 4 corner posts and lead screws as needed and paying attention to how freely they move while doing so you are doing a good job of maintaining your machine.

Total power on time = That is just how long the machine has been sitting there with the power on. This includes carving and scanning time and just sitting there.

Servoing time = Not to sure :) so maybe someone else can chip in on this..

Scanning time = The number of hours you have been scanning

Lubing the flex shaft, It should only be done when you feel that the flex shaft is starting to run hotter than normal. Lubing on a set schedule could lead to over lubing which can lead to the lube running down into the top bearing on the cutting head and into the cut motor.

SteveNelson46
06-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Cut motor time = how many hours you have been carving and the machine has been running. This is the number to go by for machine maintenance. The magic number for most thing to be taken care of is around 250 hours. Things to look at replacing is the cut motor brushes and the Y gear box bearings. If you are doing a regular job of cleaning and lubing the Y and Z rails and the bearings faces, the 4 corner posts and lead screws as needed and paying attention to how freely they move while doing so you are doing a good job of maintaining your machine.

Total power on time = That is just how long the machine has been sitting there with the power on. This includes carving and scanning time and just sitting there.

Servoing time = Not to sure :) so maybe someone else can chip in on this..

Scanning time = The number of hours you have been scanning

Lubing the flex shaft, It should only be done when you feel that the flex shaft is starting to run hotter than normal. Lubing on a set schedule could lead to over lubing which can lead to the lube running down into the top bearing on the cutting head and into the cut motor.

The servos are the X, Y, and Z axis motors. Here is a link that explains the differences between servo and stepper motors.

http://www.amci.com/tutorials/tutorials-stepper-vs-servo.asp

fwharris
06-03-2015, 07:07 PM
The servos are the X, Y, and Z axis motors. Here is a link that explains the differences between servo and stepper motors.

Steve,

Thanks for the link. I thought it had something to do with the servo motor on/run time but did not want to state anything I was not fully sure about..

CNC Carver
06-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Steve nice details on motors. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
06-04-2015, 07:32 PM
My guess or a WAG.... Wild AL Guess... is that servo time is things like board measurement as in times the servo's are moving and the cut motor is off... going to the bit plate... If you use Center on Board then your measure the board twice every time... Use place on end and it measures once...

AL

edsingletary
06-04-2015, 08:10 PM
So, do I need brushes for servo motors, should I be concerned about maintenance on servos, not even sure what one looks like, the cut motor is obvious, I can see it but a servo, now we are getting technical. Lol. Woodworker has to be part techy.

RMarkey
06-05-2015, 11:39 AM
no brushes for servo motors. The motor is not user serviceable. You can replace the servo bearings provided you have the equipment to do so. We generally recommend replacing the entire motor pack.

http://support.carvewright.com/replacing-the-y-motor-pack/

cestout
06-05-2015, 04:56 PM
In 8 years of carving, over half that with 2 machines, I have only replaced a servo motor once (bad encoder). You won't have to replace or fix them. Now he bearings in the Y gear box are another mater.
Clint

ktjwilliams
06-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Don't over lube that flex shaft ... Servo's rarely break down ... You should alwayz have extra brushes around for the cut motor ... The bearings on the Y axis usually need a change periodically ... I get bearings for the Y at the local Radio Control Car shop .. Those are a common size in the RC world .. I do add a washer because there is a very slight difference in thickness ..