PDA

View Full Version : For dragon lovers - Dragon s

oscarl48
06-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Good Russian vodka and techno/industrial metal music are a strange combination. (but I like it)

Enclosed is a dragon holding a welcome sign. The pattern is only of the dragon sign and the text is up to you all to add. I will use this thread to add dragon stuff.

The picture shows designer set at depth at .7 height 100; text is at .125 height and 10 depth with outline pattern and cut path assigned.

This will be the first entry.

dbemus
06-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Oscar

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Icutone2
06-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Very detailed Thanks
Lee

oscarl48
06-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Here is my next pattern. All patterns will be based around a dragon theme. This is supposed to be a picture frame that you can glue a picture into.

This pattern came out perfect for resizing. Can be fairly small but can be made fairly large by increasing depth.

oscarl48
06-03-2015, 07:21 PM
This one is more of an experiment. If the weather holds I am going attempt a two sided carving this weekend. My one attempt at a two sided carve failed miserably. This pattern is fairly basic since I didn't want to put a lot of effort in case it fails. But I am enclosing it as a idea jumping point if someone wants to continue on this path.

In case its not evident its a dragon claw pipe. I don't smoke a pipe but I thought it would look really cool as a display piece but at the same time I want it to be functional in case it becomes a gift. So trying a few new things for myself to keep learning this machine. If it works I will make more intricate ones.

Sorry, the mpc is done with designer 2 but patterns enclosed though it will take some finagling to line them all up.

bergerud
06-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Too bad we do not smoke any more. I have a huge chunk of briarwood. I do not know what it is good for if not making pipes.

Before you try a two sided carve, do a test. Simply drill a shallow hole in the center of a board. Measure to see how centered it is in the y. Any y offset will double the offset error of a two sided carve. You may have to adjust the y offset of your machine.

oscarl48
06-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Dan, thank you for the tip. Will definitely come in handy. This weekend I am hoping to finally get a chance to build your carrier (I already have several ideas in my head for future projects). This project will be the first one that I make use of your carrier.

Oh and a little jealous for that huge chunk of briarwood. :)

bergerud
06-04-2015, 09:03 AM
I should point out to you that the UCB does not increase your chance for double sided carving success. The main problem plaguing the double sided carve is the fact that the board gets measured twice. Even if your y offset is good, you can get inconsistent results. The optic board sensor seems plus or minus 1/32" in determining where the board edges are. The only good methods I have found are ones where the board is measured only once. Accurate double sided carving is going to be a feature of the Advanced Carrier Base I am working on.

I suggest you try some simpler double sided carves before attempting something like the pipe. Something like:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?23199-Rattleback&p=203390#post203390

oscarl48
06-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Dan,

May not add any accuracy but it will add tons of coolness points. :)

Oscar

oscarl48
06-06-2015, 05:19 PM
I assembled Dan's carrier today and needed a quick two sided project to test it out. So did a quick claw pattern that can be used for a necklace. Needless to say I completely messed up the carving because of operator error so put away the jig for now and did the carving as a one sided carving. I used oak and I am really pleased. Made it look like either old bone or petrification. Either way I think it looks cool.

Use the pattern and mirror it to get both sides and then glue to together. Play with the depth as well. The one in the picture came out about 1 inch thick after gluing and a little thicker and a little larger probably would have looked better.