PDA

View Full Version : what am I doing wrong?

wwill84751
06-01-2015, 06:31 PM
I am trying to do my own ribbon bow pattern. I carved it today and barely shows up while all the others are raised. I needed it to be raised up also with the text. I dont know if I will ever get the hang of this! So what am I doing wrong when I import it, I open it and then? Thanks for all you guys have done for this newbie!

oscarl48
06-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Can you post a picture or the pattern? It would help to figure out what is going on.

wwill84751
06-01-2015, 07:21 PM
7636876369 either on of those just did an outline with raised text i did a cowboy boot and came out great!

oscarl48
06-01-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm sorry I am not quite understanding the issue yet. When you composite multiple patterns you can establish which ones are in front by setting different depth and height values. You can play with the values in reference to each other until you get the relationship you want.

Also the patterns make a huge difference. They are built different. Some have more depth than others. If you port an image into designer you can edit the depth using the pattern editor.

For example I did a quick search and downloaded this ribbon image and then cleaned it up with the pattern editor and set the depth at .25 with height of 100.

For the first picture I set the lettering at depth .125 and height of 100. The second image shows the lettering at depth .25 and height of 25. You can see the difference.

I am enclosing the ribbon bow pattern as well since it actually came out pretty good.

wwill84751
06-01-2015, 10:36 PM
I get what you are saying now on pattern editor with the depth. I guess thats where Im going wrong. I will play around some more! Is there a way to, lets say the bow you included with the happy birthday, is there a way to break it up into two patterns because you cant use one or the other? Like I seen a cowboy boot on here with a clock and would like to use it but not with the clock. Thanks for the tips and pattern

oscarl48
06-01-2015, 10:52 PM
I'll have to let some of the smart folks speak up but I don't know of how to break up a pattern you did not build yourself. For example my ribbon is on its own so you can composite with another pattern or use your own text for it but if I had made a pattern with text already with it you could not modify it.

For example the ribbon on the right (enclosed earlier) is on its own so you can composite it with other patterns as an example on the right pattern (they are two separate patterns) but if I had made the pattern on the right with the bow and the boot together as the pattern you could not separate them unless you had the original designs.

Hope that helps.

For the smart folks, If there is a way to break up other folks patterns please correct me. I am also relatively new.

wwill84751
06-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Looks like your pretty smart, you helped me out. I finally was able to figure it out after reading your post! I have a board in the machine now, doing a test sample! Maybe now I might just be able to get it figured all out! Im having fun anyways! Ive only made about 4 plaques and now have several orders so no to shabby I guess! Thanks again for your help!

fwharris
06-01-2015, 11:43 PM
If someone makes a pattern that has two or more elements combined together to make one pattern the pattern can not be separated. Not even by the pattern maker. On could request from the pattern maker if they could make a new pattern but leave out certain elements.