PDA

View Full Version : just checking in

lawrence
05-31-2015, 02:09 AM
Hope everyone here is well and just thought I'd post a quick update as to what has been going on with my family and I over the last few months.

Though I no longer have an active Carvewright machine, I think of you guys often (and find "projects" where I wish I had my CW almost every day)

We ended up not moving to England after our around the USA trip, but instead settled on Whidbey island in the Puget sound off the coast of WA near Seattle. We bought a 5 acre microfarm and are working hard to get it up and running (chickens, ducks, gardens etc) while I work on a start up business in woodworking.

I plan to use my recently-received VA benefits to help start a woodworking business making military flag cases/shadow boxes etc similar to those that some of you've seen me make in the past and appreciate any moral support you can give as I venture out on this precarious limb.

I don't think I'll be using a Carvewright during my upcoming venture (too much water under the bridge) but cannot stress enough how much I learned from the use of my Carvewright and how much enjoyment I gained from my time with this amazing machine and here on this amazing forum.

Hope everyone is well and hope you are carving away happily... I sure sometimes miss the signature "whine" from the garage that told me my CW was working well.

Happy Carving,
Lawrence

aokweld101
05-31-2015, 06:43 AM
Hi Lawrence, good to seeing your family is well. Good luck on your wood working business. Tom, lives up that way maybe you two could get together.

henry1
05-31-2015, 07:24 AM
Nice to see your doing well,, would like to see you in the group again all the best , and you have been around awhile

Smoken D
05-31-2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks for checking in, and great to hear from you and all is well. I still make those military flag cases and give them away when I can. Can't tell you how much folks appriciate me doing this. Good luck on the business and maybe someday you will be able to return to that devil machine;)

Bigtyme
05-31-2015, 09:30 AM
Great to hear you are doing well, Lawrence. Sounds like you found a great place to settle and I wish you all the best with the new farm and woodworking venture. You have built some beautiful pieces and I know you will do well. I hope you keep us all up to date on how things go....

fwharris
05-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Lawrence,

Thanks for checking in to let us know what you are up to. It sounds like your changed path in life will be a great adventure. Which occupation will go first? Farmer/rancher or Woodworker? :) Good to see that you are still "thinking :) " about that "whine" sound!

Digitalwoodshop
05-31-2015, 12:35 PM
Fantastic News...

AL

dbemus
05-31-2015, 02:16 PM
Wishing you the very best on your new ventures! Thanks for the update and keep us informed. Pictures of the new farm would be nice.

RogerB
05-31-2015, 02:26 PM
Nice to hear from you. Wishing you and your family all the best. Enjoy my friend.

ladjr
05-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Nice to hear from you. It seems like a lot of the old members are gone. Wish you best of luck in life for you and your family.

TerryT
05-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Welcome to Washington!

mikemi
05-31-2015, 07:25 PM
Lawrence,

Thanks for the update about yourself and family. You picked a nice part of the country to settle in (The great Northwest) and I hope you like rain.

Mike

CNC Carver
06-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Wish you the best in your new adventure. You shared your experience to many of us. I wish you the best in your new woodworking plan! You will make many from the VA happy.

Jeff

lawrence
06-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Thanks all- I lurk/view here often and really enjoy the work you folks are continuing to do with your machines.

The property is huge (for us) and hard to capture in one pic dbemus--we have a house on the 5 acres as well as 2 creeks and old farmland (you can't dig without running into old machinery) The property also includes several beautiful outbuildings-- but as requested here is at least one pic of one of the outbuildings- our barn which was raised in 1900 or so

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/barn_zpst70kcc2m.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/media/barn_zpst70kcc2m.jpg.html)

Lawrence

mtylerfl
06-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Hi Lawrence! I just read your update and am glad to hear that you settled on such a nice property. Cool that you'll be micro-farming. My wife just bought me a small (6'x8') greenhouse for my birthday, so once that's assembled I guess I'll be doing some sub-micro-farming. :0

I'm excited for you regarding your new woodworking business. That will be fun, exciting and hopefully profitable! Seeing the quality work you do, I have no doubt your business will be very successful, once the word gets around. Please holler if you need anything. Always glad to help!

blhutchens
06-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Good to see you are still checking in and have settled in. That is an awesome barn, it should give you plenty of room for farming and woodworking. What a beautiful view.
I really miss your posts, I learned a lot from you.

zan29
06-03-2015, 06:40 AM
Wishing you all the best Lawrence!

happy
06-03-2015, 06:47 AM
Good luck to you and your family, Thank you for serving our country also. I dream of the day i can retire and just do woodworking projects, you have done some great projects over the years.