PDA

View Full Version : cut out bit selection

rjp736
03-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I am trying to do a cut out of a pattern after it's carved. When I load the board why does it ask for the 1/8" cutting bit first. Shouldn't it carve it out first. In designer it shows in the cutting list that the carve is first but the machine seems like it wants to do the cut out first.

HandTurnedMaple
03-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Whenever doing a project with more than one bit, it asks for all of the bits before starting the project. I don't know why it does it, its annoying. But don't panic, its doing it right.

MAX COX
03-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Machine will go through bit selection process starting the carveing.

rjp736
03-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your help. Your right, for some reason you have to load all the bits before it's starts to carve. Got my project done and it turned out great. I started having my first problems with this machine, worked through them and I wouldn't trade my machine for nothing. It sure is nice having people like you help out in the rough times. Happy Carving to all!

edzbaker
03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I have done carvings that required more than one bit, and also required the 1/8 cut out bit. I have left the 1/16 carving bit in place when it asks for them ALL in the beginning of the project, then changed them out as it ask for them later.
It always goes through the measurement process with each bit.
I have found that it causes no problem by leaveing the 1/16 carving bit in, at the beginning.

CallNeg151
03-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I have done carvings that required more than one bit, and also required the 1/8 cut out bit. I have left the 1/16 carving bit in place when it asks for them ALL in the beginning of the project, then changed them out as it ask for them later.
It always goes through the measurement process with each bit.
I have found that it causes no problem by leaveing the 1/16 carving bit in, at the beginning.

Hmmm... I can't help but think that it measures those bits at the beginning for a reason, other than amusement. Are the bits your using about the same length? I would be curious if it worked OK if one bit were the carving and another were the shorter v cut bits. I'm too chicken to try that one. :-)

edzbaker
03-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Nope, They aren't the same length. I'm thinking it's a programing thing. I did it once by mistake, it worked ok, so Now I do it every time it asks for more than one bit. I found it's easier to push enter than change bits back and fourth. But I do understand your caution. If I hadn't done it accidentally the first time, I wouldn't try it either.

CallNeg151
03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Nope, They aren't the same length. I'm thinking it's a programing thing. I did it once by mistake, it worked ok, so Now I do it every time it asks for more than one bit. I found it's easier to push enter than change bits back and fourth. But I do understand your caution. If I hadn't done it accidentally the first time, I wouldn't try it either.

That's funny. I wonder if it is to prevent you from starting a project that you can't finish? Are they checking that you have all of the bits (and that they are long or short enough to be used) at the beginning of the job to prevent you from getting halfway through a job only to discover that it requires a bit that you don't have?

HandTurnedMaple
03-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I thought that too, but it would be easier and take alot less time if it just listed them on the LCD and had you select yes/no for each bit.

cajunpen
03-09-2007, 10:12 PM
I bet The Bard did it. He probably told Chris M. that he would devise a method of making all of us idiots change the bits several times before every project. He probably would have preferred that he make us walk around the machine 3 times before each project, but wasn't sure that we would all do that. Sounds like a Bardism to me anyway, can't see any other reason for it:rolleyes: