PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do?

wwill84751
05-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Ok so I am new and just started making a couple of signs to play around with the machine. My question is, how do I do letters that stand out rather than sink in like the raster. I did outline and took the feather out but that didnt do anything for me. So Ive been looking for info on how to do this type but havent had luck figuring it out. This board has been great so I figured, someone would be able to tell me how to do it. I just have basic software and not going to upgrade until I figure if I really need it.... TIA

fwharris
05-28-2015, 11:06 PM
To get the text to stand proud of the board you will need to put a carve region around your text. see attached mpc.

fwharris
05-28-2015, 11:33 PM
You might also want to read through the tips and tricks section. Lot of information to help you set up carvings..

http://support.carvewright.com/tips-tricks-archive/

wwill84751
05-29-2015, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the attached thumbnail and the link for the hints and tips... I shall sit down and read but you know how it is with any new toy, you want to use it not figure it all out but, Im going to have to break down and do it because Ive looked the that forum and see so many things that just keeps my brain turning! Thanks again... I appreciate that help Ive been getting!

fwharris
05-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the attached thumbnail and the link for the hints and tips... I shall sit down and read but you know how it is with any new toy, you want to use it not figure it all out but, Im going to have to break down and do it because Ive looked the that forum and see so many things that just keeps my brain turning! Thanks again... I appreciate that help Ive been getting!

We all have been there! :) It is great that you are learning here on the forum and now that you have the tips n tricks and tutorials you can get a much better understanding of the software and machine. They will go a long way to make you a happy carver..

wwill84751
05-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Im trying and having fun! Just nervous about breaking a bit or anything really!

blhutchens
05-30-2015, 06:38 AM
Im trying and having fun! Just nervous about breaking a bit or anything really!

Bits are the cheapest of your worries. It is time well spent reading the tips and tricks and watching tutorials. I would crash my machine on a regular basis until I did so.
The main thing is not to crowd the bits or take too big of a bite. Make deep cuts in several passes just as you would with a normal router and add a good feather to deep carves.

Rick P
05-30-2015, 10:44 AM
If you plan to make a lot of signs/plaques with text, I would suggest getting the Centerline add-on software. I am not an expert at CW, but having Centerline was one of the best add-ons I have done. I make quite a few signs and plaques with text.

cestout
05-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Rick is correct about Centerline, but you really should get Conforming Vectors to go with it. Centerline only carves on the surface, but with Conforming Vectors it will follow a carved surface.
Clint

wwill84751
05-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all your help guys! I know I still have a lot of reading and learning to do yet!

fwharris
05-31-2015, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all your help guys! I know I still have a lot of reading and learning to do yet!

We all have been where you are at now but with lots of help from other members here we are now able to help you the new members and sometimes we still are learning. Just keep on asking!

Rick P
05-31-2015, 01:39 AM
Clint, if I may ask, can you explain a little more about "Conforming Vectors". I do not have that package, but it sounds interesting. I don't quite understand all the benefits it offers. Any type of help would be appreciated.

Rick is correct about Centerline, but you really should get Conforming Vectors to go with it. Centerline only carves on the surface, but with Conforming Vectors it will follow a carved surface.
Clint