PDA

View Full Version : First Corian Bake.

NLAlston
05-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Well, after screwing up my second attempt at carving a Lithophane, I wasn't certain as to what cutting element would be best for reducing the ruined piece of Corian. So I thought that I could (at least) try my hand at seeing what a 'bake' would give me (within the concern for very near future carvings, of a curved design). I had come across the same temperature settings (350 degrees), but various bake times. The longest time was 30 minutes, and the shortest that I had come across was fifteen minutes. Now, I don't know if the longer time given might have been for thicker (1/2") Corian, with the shorter time referencing the 1/4" material. At any rate, I chose the latter, and it was perfect. In fact, I MIGHT have been able to shave off a couple of minutes from that. But, I think that I will stick with the fifteen minutes - at 350 degrees.

Truly LOVING this :).

Smoken D
05-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Did you bend it around a coffee can for the wrap effect? Got photos?

NLAlston
05-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Did you bend it around a coffee can for the wrap effect? Got photos?

No. I didn't do anything special with the piece, at all. I just used my hands, protected with pot holders, to test the bending. My only aim was to see just how bendable the Corian WOULD be. Afterwards, I tossed it - as it wouldn't have been carve-worthy.

I am, now, about to head out to pick up some wood stock for frame-sided stands I am going to make. Then, it is back to my CW :). My intention is to make the stands before baking the Corian. After they have been constructed, and finished, the baked Litho can be inserted in the dados, and would be held in securely while cooling into that shape. When done, with the first one, I WILL post back with pictures.