PDA

View Full Version : Two Toned Pierced Hearts

SteveNelson46
05-27-2015, 10:29 PM
Well, I finally finished the hearts project for my daughter. Originally I had intended to make it out of Mesquite but, after playing around with the layers effects in the Designer I decided to make it two-toned. I used Walnut as the base and hard Maple for the lettering. The project was carved on Bergerud's amazing Universal Carrier Base and that allowed me to keep the board size as small as possible. The board is shown in pic 1.

Canemaker
05-27-2015, 10:40 PM
What a fantastic project, is that pattern available somewhere or did you make it up?

zan29
05-27-2015, 10:41 PM
That's gorgeous Steve. Nice work!

SteveNelson46
05-27-2015, 11:03 PM
What a fantastic project, is that pattern available somewhere or did you make it up?

I made the pattern that includes the names in Aspire V8. The two-toned effect was done by calculating the depths of the letters (top layer) and base (bottom layer) and laminating the two together before carving. All projects will have different heights and depths depending on the effects so each one has to calculated separately. I did it by cutting a prototype out of MDF and just physically measuring. Even still, a little bit of the Maple showed through on some of the high spots and had to be hand sanded off.

I am working on a version where the names can be changed in the Designer.

bergerud
05-28-2015, 12:03 AM
That is really very nice. A Designer version would be a seller. It seems to me, however, that changing the names would not be easy.

SteveNelson46
05-28-2015, 12:26 AM
That is really very nice. A Designer version would be a seller. It seems to me, however, that changing the names would not be easy.

I puffed the text to match the puffed surface of the hearts. If one just had the hearts pattern they could add their own text and use what ever add on tools they have to embellish it. However, they would have to play with the heights and depths to achieve the layered effect and I'm not sure if that would sell.

EDIT: Also the text has to be sized and placed strategically so long branches or arms would not be prone to break off. Font selection is a key factor also.

SharonB
05-28-2015, 12:30 AM
What a unique design Steve. Even carving both the hearts and names out of the same wood would make a wonderful gift.

SteveNelson46
05-28-2015, 12:54 AM
What a unique design Steve. Even carving both the hearts and names out of the same wood would make a wonderful gift.

Thanks Sharon. I'm just not sure it would sell.

CNC Carver
05-28-2015, 06:20 AM
That looks great. Nice work Steve, thanks for sharing.

mtylerfl
05-28-2015, 08:04 AM
Beautiful project, Steve! Excellent work.

eelamb
05-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Steve, really nice work, love the design.

bergerud
05-28-2015, 08:16 AM
I puffed the text to match the puffed surface of the hearts. If one just had the hearts pattern they could add their own text and use what ever add on tools they have to embellish it. However, they would have to play with the heights and depths to achieve the layered effect and I'm not sure if that would sell.

If you could provide step by step instructions as to how to alter the names, it might sell. A new type of product. A pattern and a technique. The buyer would not only get to carve a neat pattern but would also learn some Designer techniques. An educational project.

xchief807
05-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Wow really nice.

SteveNelson46
05-28-2015, 09:32 AM
If you could provide step by step instructions as to how to alter the names, it might sell. A new type of product. A pattern and a technique. The buyer would not only get to carve a neat pattern but would also learn some Designer techniques. An educational project.

Thanks to all. I think I like Dan's suggestion so I'll publish the final project with instructions in the Pattern Depot as soon as I finish the customized version for the Designer.

rcdages
05-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Out standing carving and a wonderful finish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome

Wood Art 1
05-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Really neat project, took lots of planning and excellent execution. Thanks for sharing. Great idea to put on the depot.

dbemus
05-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Outstanding piece of work! You have a buyer here for sure!! Great wedding or anniversary gift.

mikemi
05-28-2015, 06:55 PM
That is really awesome Steve. I think it would sell.

Mike

ktjwilliams
05-28-2015, 10:09 PM
That's really nice !!!