PDA

View Full Version : Cribbage board hole pattern

Rick P
05-27-2015, 01:57 AM
I have a cribbage board hole pattern that is round to fit on a 15" diameter board. The pattern is in a bmp76309 file. Is there a way to have the CW machine drill all these 1/8" diameter holes?

CNC Carver
05-27-2015, 05:48 AM
Yes you can make 1/8 holes with 1/8 drill bit. You would need to add them in the pattern.

bergerud
05-27-2015, 08:08 AM
15" is just a little large. You might be able to do it. 14.5 is supposed to be max width. As for the holes, just manually placing on the bitmap may not be very accurate.

bergerud
05-27-2015, 11:51 AM
I cannot resist a layout challenge. This took awhile. (I can edit if something needs a change.)

CNC Carver
05-27-2015, 12:07 PM
bergerud you definitely do thing great! You are a great helper here for many people.

mikemi
05-27-2015, 07:20 PM
bergerud you definitely do thing great! You are a great helper here for many people.

Amen to that, and that go for a lot of other folks on this forum.

Mike

Rick P
05-28-2015, 01:15 PM
WOW...WOW...amazing !!! The only thing to change would be adding another 4 holes at the start. Cribbage patterns start with 2 rows of 4 holes. Each player has two pegs. I hope that makes sense. The needed row of 4 holes is at the bottom of the pattern, just to the left of the centerline. Currently you have one row of 4 holes in this spot.

How on earth did you do this so nicely ?? I tried to visually place a CW drilled hole over the faint image of a jpg hole, but it was very difficult to get them lined up straight by eye...in fact I think it was impossible.

Thank you...thank you ! !

I cannot resist a layout challenge. This took awhile. (I can edit if something needs a change.)

Rick P
05-28-2015, 01:21 PM
I should add...a St. Paul policeman asked me to make this cribbage board for his wife's birthday. I am going to carve the CW pattern of the NAVY seal logo in the center. This policeman's son is in the NAVY. I was almost going to tell him I just could not get the hole pattern to look good. Now I can get this cribbage made for the June 16 birthday. AGAIN...THANK YOU !!!

bergerud
05-28-2015, 01:27 PM
I did not even notice the missing holes. (I am not a cribbage player) I will fix that when I get home as well as post the file which shows my method.

Rick P
05-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Thank you !!!!!!!

bergerud
05-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Here it is fixed. I had to move everything to the left side. Those extra four holes fouled up the mirror. I also included the basic construction that I used to make all the rings of holes. The 4" arc of holes was copied-pasted and then expanded to make the four rings. All the lines and the original deleted and then all holes were mirrored. Then I deleted the four extra holes in the mirror.

That was fun. Thanks. I hope it all drills out ok for you.

Rick P
05-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Thank you very much. I will run a practice board...first I have to replace the sandpaper belts on my CW. I have the new belts from customsandingbelts.com
The way you did this is amazing...I would have never figured that out. You did all that in Designer only??

Here it is fixed. I had to move everything to the left side. Those extra four holes fouled up the mirror. I also included the basic construction that I used to make all the rings of holes. The 4" arc of holes was copied-pasted and then expanded to make the four rings. All the lines and the original deleted and then all holes were mirrored. Then I deleted the four extra holes in the mirror.

That was fun. Thanks. I hope it all drills out ok for you.

bergerud
05-28-2015, 11:40 PM
Yes, all in Designer. That is the challenge. The holes are very accurately placed. Still, it is a good idea to run a test.

Edit: I do not know how deep the holes should be. I made them 1/4" but I see other boards with 1/2" deep holes. You can change the depth of all the holes at once if you select them all and then change the depth in the tool bar edit window.

Rick P
05-29-2015, 05:32 PM
I have a question ... I was going to run a practice board for drilling the hole pattern. I have a board 13.75" wide. But, when I changed the board settings to 13.75 for width the hole pattern shifted just enough so some of the holes are off the board at the bottom. And there is plenty of room at the top of the board. I cannot find a way to move the entire hole pattern up a little. The normal way I have done this in the past is not working. Can you help?

Yes, all in Designer. That is the challenge. The holes are very accurately placed. Still, it is a good idea to run a test.

Edit: I do not know how deep the holes should be. I made them 1/4" but I see other boards with 1/2" deep holes. You can change the depth of all the holes at once if you select them all and then change the depth in the tool bar edit window.

bergerud
05-29-2015, 05:45 PM
After changing the board size, Select All - Center Group Vertically

(Notice also the 0.250 in the Depth box. You can change all their depths at once with that.)

Rick P
05-29-2015, 10:46 PM
9pm Thank you...I'm drilling the first practice board now. I appreciate all your help very much !!

12am The hole pattern was drilled very nicely. I will change the depth to .375".

rickroy
07-09-2015, 05:27 PM
I just feel like showing off Here is my newest cribbage board creation based on a Taylor Cut-away guitar. They are a California based company but I was commissioned to make one for a guy who plays one. They also wanted the names of everyone in the family carved in the base. There is a pocket in the back for peg storage but the pegs can also be put at the end of the neck like tuning pegs. Whaddyathink?768997690076901

fwharris
07-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I think you did an awesome job!

rickroy
07-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks Floyd ... and I really love your dust collector too. I made the one from wood with the pattern found here. It worked okay but your design really gets the suction down on the work piece. Mutual admiration society me thinks!

fwharris
07-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Thanks Floyd ... and I really love your dust collector too. I made the one from wood with the pattern found here. It worked okay but your design really gets the suction down on the work piece. Mutual admiration society me thinks!

Thanks again!

mikemi
07-09-2015, 07:41 PM
That is a very nice job. Just curious, what are the dimensions?

Mike

rickroy
07-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Mike, if you are asking about the guitar cribbage board, it is 24" x 9". I use 5/4 cherry or oak ... the one shown is red oak but I like the cherry better.

SharonB
07-10-2015, 12:38 AM
What a unique design. One of the best cribbage boards I've seen posted here.

zan29
07-10-2015, 05:32 AM
That is very nice work Rick.........what a great idea!

I just feel like showing off Here is my newest cribbage board creation based on a Taylor Cut-away guitar. They are a California based company but I was commissioned to make one for a guy who plays one. They also wanted the names of everyone in the family carved in the base. There is a pocket in the back for peg storage but the pegs can also be put at the end of the neck like tuning pegs. Whaddyathink?768997690076901

Bigtyme
07-10-2015, 07:17 AM
Great job on the design, Rick. Very unique and a hit, for sure!!!

Rick P
07-10-2015, 12:43 PM
This is my Navy cribbage board in maple, unfinished. The Navy logo is from Carvewright store, but I was NOT super happy with the pattern.
My friend liked it though !

Rick P
07-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Very nice Rick Roy !! Would you sell the pattern ?? I have a young friend who is a great guitar player...he has competed on The Voice. Not sure if he plays cribbage though.

zan29
07-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Very nice Rick!

This is my Navy cribbage board in maple, unfinished. The Navy logo is from Carvewright store, but I was NOT super happy with the pattern.
My friend liked it though !

mikemi
07-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Mike, if you are asking about the guitar cribbage board, it is 24" x 9". I use 5/4 cherry or oak ... the one shown is red oak but I like the cherry better.

Yes Rick, I was asking about the guitar cribbage board. I have made a couple that I thought came out fairly nice, (not guitars), but not near as nice as yours. Thanks for the reply and thanks for showing it off.

Mike

squeely54
03-21-2016, 05:14 PM
Would it be possible to get the hole pattern MPC for your round Navy Crib board. I want to make one for my son.