PDA

View Full Version : Scanning something large

dehrlich
05-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Ok, I don't have a probe and know nothing about scanning, so this would be something I may want someone experienced to do for me. I am building an antique truck. I really want to incorporate wood into it of course, and one thing I want to do if possible is make a dash from wood. I'm not even sure I can get the old one out easily in one piece so that's the first challenge. It's large and rounded, and would look great as a big piece of walnut or mahogany. Anyone ever done this? Possible?

want2b
05-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Never tried something that large but think it might work. Reality is there are width and depth limitations you'll have to deal with. You will also have to find a way to mount it on a carrier to keep it flat and level. Even if you find the depth is an issue the scan and carve could get you close enough that you could hand finish the carving with a dremel/rotozip or hand carving tools. Would be awesome and something nobody else would have. Good Luck, let us know how things work out.
Rick H

blhutchens
05-22-2015, 08:19 PM
I haven't done a dash, but I have done a guitar body and it took 4hrs to scan 1 side.
My thoughts are to measure and map it and put it into designer that way.
By the time you jig up and scan both sides you could have it carved.
It seems like Dick B. (or someone else on the forum) did a boat dash maybe they will pipe in.

bergerud
05-22-2015, 09:21 PM
I think that was Dick's first post but I do not think he scanned the boat dash.

blhutchens
05-23-2015, 05:27 AM
Here is the link. I don't know if it will help or not.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?11050-Dash-panel-for-boat/page3&highlight=Boat+dash%26quot%3B%26quot%3B

bergerud
05-23-2015, 08:14 AM
What does the dash look like? What model truck is it?

ronboley
05-23-2015, 12:20 PM
A carved dash would be neat...could carve cool recesses for gauges, switches and such...and carve name, date, dedication (?) and other personalized stuff...car emblems or a whole scene...
I have cut apart pieces to scan for my table project. It does take time and the scans have to be cleaned up with pattern editor, 3D and/or sculptor, but I did it with the pattern editor alone before I had the other software, so it's do-able with the probe and the software it comes with.

Good luck... my "old" cars all have metal dashes (two '67 mustangs and a '69 chevelle)...so I won't be trying the carved dash...at least not in the for seeable future...my neighbor does have an unrestored '29 Willys Knight, but I don't think he'll let me modify his wood dash...

dehrlich
05-23-2015, 12:23 PM
It's a 37 International pickup... haven't picked it up yet, gotta go to Missouri to get it. Had one like it when I was a kid. Will post a pic of the dash just to give an idea. May be able to make one just using a hand plane.

James RS
05-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Maybe also take some pictures of the dash
with a scale in it.

It's a 37 International pickup... haven't picked it up yet, gotta go to Missouri to get it. Had one like it when I was a kid. Will post a pic of the dash just to give an idea. May be able to make one just using a hand plane.

bjbethke
05-25-2015, 09:06 AM

If that's an image of the dash, it should clean up OK, the truck would be worth more as an original dash, My Sons are rebuilding my old Model T. I think these Dash images are the 1937 model