PDA

View Full Version : rock chuck

henry1
05-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Any one hear if rock chuck is still in business

bergerud
05-21-2015, 08:32 AM
Someone on the forum said his house burned down. Rock chucks are no good anyway. They hang down too low. You cannot use the deep bits. Problems with the rotary jig and so on. I think their day is gone.

chebytrk
05-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Respectfully I disagree that the Rock Chuck doesn't work. I had mine since 2009 and all bits worked fine with no problems whatsoever. My opinion is that the Rock Chuck is the reason that the Carve Tight finally came about. I recently changed out my Rock Chuck for the Carve Tight because I broke the bit screw after I stripped it. Instead of messing with getting it out, I ordered the Carve Tight (I already have one in my 2nd CW) and easy enough to change out. What I do still like is that the Rock Chuck had a 1/4 insert that in my opinion works better for me than the one that comes with the Carve Tight. I still use that insert and prefer it to the other one. Again, not putting down the Carve Tight as it works great, but the Rock Chuck (IMO) served it's purpose and did it well. IMO it definitely contributed to the what we have now for the CW. Either way, it's all good and progress has been made (as it should be). JerryB

bergerud
05-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Sorry, I meant the deep bits. The Rock cannot hold the deep bits.

chebytrk
05-21-2015, 09:31 AM
No worries..... Correct... deep bits don't work at all with the Rock Chuck.

I kinda see it's like what you (Carrier Board), the Rotary Jig maker, Floyd's dust collector and others have done in coming up with EXCELLENT ideas in improving the use of the CW. I'm glad to be on this forum and see all these changes (I've seen quite a few since 2008 ). I've not been been around here much lately, but now that I'm retired I plan on at least getting back in to it a little more. I also plan on getting that new carrier board. Congrats on its development and Thank You amigo for making it.

Smoken D
05-21-2015, 10:00 AM
If it was not for the Rock Chuck, I would have first shot my machine with the 12ga, then burned it at the stake and beat it with the sledge:!:

bergerud
05-21-2015, 10:22 AM
The Rock certainly has its place in history. No denying that. Too bad Ron seems out of the game. If he tweaked the design to be up higher, it would still be a great upgrade to the QC many must still have. As it is, however, I think it is history.

At one time he told me he would make the ER type if there was a demand. Too bad that did not happen.

DocWheeler
05-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Will the ER type hold the long bits?

Digitalwoodshop
05-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Buying Rock Chuck parts.... as users go to the CT.

The Rock has it's place as does the CT.

:) AL

bergerud
05-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Will the ER type hold the long bits?

My ER20M spindle has the same geometry as the CT and so works find with the deep bits. There just are no more of them.

Rick P
05-30-2015, 12:52 AM
Me too ... definitely ! The Rock chuck saved my machine. I have been using it since 2008.

If it was not for the Rock Chuck, I would have first shot my machine with the 12ga, then burned it at the stake and beat it with the sledge:!:

Rick P
05-30-2015, 01:00 AM
I certainly Ron is OK. He helped me quite a bit in 2008/09 to get my CW off the original chuck. I purchased from him in 2014.

The Rock certainly has its place in history. No denying that. Too bad Ron seems out of the game. If he tweaked the design to be up higher, it would still be a great upgrade to the QC many must still have. As it is, however, I think it is history.

At one time he told me he would make the ER type if there was a demand. Too bad that did not happen.