PDA

View Full Version : Still having problems making lines join. Help?

Underdog
05-18-2015, 09:12 AM
So I want to make a simple address sign, and I can't get lines to join for love nor money...

Here's the file, can someone explain why I can get lines to join? The end points seem to line up. You can see where I created "construction lines" so I can make sure everything is lined up. Perhaps that's the problem?76192

bergerud
05-18-2015, 09:20 AM
If your problem is that it shifts around as you join the corners, make sure the parts are not centered. Un-center before joining.

Underdog
05-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Ok. I took that file and then added two more horizontal lines (not centered) above the first sign (to make the second sign), then created the polylines for the ends using the snap grid. No matter what I do, I can't make the new lines join.
How?

bergerud
05-18-2015, 09:42 AM
With both pieces selected (click on one crtl click on the second one) Click, hold, and tweak the corner and you get a red cross. They are now connected.

You can also connect as you draw. With the snap grid on draw a line from one corner to the other.

Underdog
05-18-2015, 09:43 AM
And thanks for the help. I've been thinking I should post and get help, but didn't want to look like a doofus. Finally broke down and posted, figuring, I'd rather learn how and look like a doofus, than not know and never get anywhere....

Underdog
05-18-2015, 09:46 AM
76194Ok. I sorta got that. Now I have another problem....

One of the polyline handles is stuck in the horizontal plane and I can't get it to pull back to vertical...

SteveNelson46
05-18-2015, 09:51 AM
I think your problem is that you are trying to join a line to an already closed path. Once the path is closed you cannot join another vector to it. A good way to check to see if the path is closed is to look at the "Carve Region" tool. If you can make it a carve region then it is a closed path.

Underdog
05-18-2015, 09:52 AM
No, there's not a closed path. I'm trying to MAKE a closed path....

bergerud
05-18-2015, 09:52 AM
I am not sure what you mean. If there is a T beside the point, it will try and be tangent. Try double clicking on the point first to make it a free point. (You can toggle points between tangent and free by double clicking)

SteveNelson46
05-18-2015, 09:59 AM
76194Ok. I sorta got that. Now I have another problem....

One of the polyline handles is stuck in the horizontal plane and I can't get it to pull back to vertical...

Select the line then right click on it and select "Center Horizontal" to remove the horizontal constraint.

bergerud
05-18-2015, 10:03 AM
I think the problem was first, how to get the red cross of connection to happen. Now the problem is that the end points go tangent crazy when they connect. The end points need to be made free first.

Underdog
05-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Ah! That was it. Thanks guys... The red cross of connection won't happen if you have things centered, eh? And the tangent constraint can be removed by double clicking. Got it.

I seem to find every way to keep from getting what I need.
Now, I can make the wife happy by making this thing...