PDA

View Full Version : Pendulum wall clock project (Intermediate level)

oscarl48
05-17-2015, 08:10 PM
With not having a shop and subject to the whims of the weather I have been making patterns all weekend because of rain instead of making saw dust. I also went back and re-looked at the wall clock plan I was going to make. It was going to be a quick and fairly plain classic wall clock. I have re-thought the project and I think I will do carved sides and front on this project to make use of the CW.

One of the little nags in the back of my mind is that there haven't been a lot of complex projects on here so I will drag anyone along if they want as I do the build. I will share all the patterns I develop as I go along the way. I will be following the plans on this one so it should be something everyone can do with a few additional tools (table saw, drill, lathe, router).

The rough plan is enclosed. I plan to do it in hard maple through out but any lumber will work.

This I think is in the intermediate level project only because of the size and number of pieces. There will be no advanced joinery involved but only butt joints reinforced with hidden screws and pocket screws as mechanical fasteners plus of course wood glue. It is a fairly big piece (38"x16"x7").

Tools needed:
Table saw or other saw to cut lumber to final dimensions.

Drill for the pre-drilling holes for the screws.

A router for edge profiles.

Lathe to turn the columns and create the finials.

And of course the CW with 1/8" and 1/16" bits.

The project will start in earnest next weekend as long as I don't get rained out again. I bought a quartz clock mechanism with chimes for about $75. They range from $50 to $200 depending on quality and features. You can also go with a mechanical movement but they will run in the several hundred dollar range to the sky is the limit. Sometime this week I will figure out the material and cut list.

zan29
05-18-2015, 04:20 AM
Very nice project Oscar! You should offer it at the CW store.

henry1
05-18-2015, 06:49 AM
nice one love making clocks can't wait to see it

oscarl48
05-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Suzanne,

Thank you. High praise indeed. This project is actually more of a blank slate for the CW community. You can build it without CW fairly easily and quickly. I was planning on having this built in a weekend but now it will take much longer with carvings. It will also be 10 times better looking with the carvings. But as blank slate you all can pick your carvings or wait until I have finished mine and see if you like the choices I made.

I am also not quite comfortable yet as a pattern builder. I have improved a lot but I still am not where I want to be.

Regards,
Oscar

oscarl48
05-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Henry,

Me too. :)

Oscar

ktjwilliams
05-19-2015, 05:24 AM
Very Nice Oscar ,,, Glad to see your so willing to share ... I'm sure you'll have several takers on this one... I would be one of em if I wasn't so busy ... This would be something I might do over the winter ...

Kevin
Middletown, NJ

oscarl48
05-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Rough estimate is it will take about 9 bft of lumber to complete the project. I always buy about 20%-25% more due to waste in getting final dimensions and for those eventual, "Dang! I should have measured twice before I cut that."

Optional is molding to create an additional shadow line at the top and bottom shelf plus hide the seam where the back panel butts against the case. Because it is the largest piece I plan to use only screws with no glue on the back panel so that it floats a little so that future shrinkage doesn't crack the wood and the molding will also serve to hide the change in size. Molding will be your choice of profile.

As you can see from the cut list the majority of the pieces are basic squares. CW will be used to cut the arch for the top and the shelf brackets. After that you can pretty much carve on any open flat surface you like to get the overall look you want. I plan to carve the top arch, door top, door stiles, side case panels, and bottom back bracket. Not sure yet if I want to carve the side shelf brackets. I will be using a lathe to turn the finials and columns from the glued up blanks.

There will be a sheet of glass that will be used on the door. Router and table saw will be used to cut out the rabbet. I plan to use stained glass because I can. :)

edit: forgot you will need hinges for the door and optional lock. I plan on using piano hinges.

oscarl48
05-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Is there a way to make this into a pattern instead of an mpc?

If not, I am including the two rosettes I previously posted but re-enclosing here so you don't have to search for them. These are mine so I am finally get to carve them. I knew I built them for a reason. I used the basic Filagree 05 and Filagree 01 with mirror function. The arch is built by connecting two straight lines and an arch using toggle to control points on a 7"x10" board. I will cut it out this weekend if you want to wait and see how it comes out for me.

Hopefully I'll have the patterns for the sides and base panel by then. I'll be starting those tonight. Wife chose a nature theme so thinking creeping vines with birds for the sides.

Oscar

oscarl48
05-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Going with a nature theme, I developed a creeping buttercup flower pattern for the side of the case. It is my wife's favorite flower so got some much needed brownie points.

The mpc shown was created by simply doubling the pattern and then mirroring across the center. I then used a square carved region to even out the blank areas so there wouldn't be any high points in the pattern.

zan29
05-20-2015, 11:45 PM
You can send me the files Oscar and I'll make the patterns for you.
info@suzannewoodworking.ca

zan29
05-21-2015, 01:16 AM
What was I thinking, I cannot make your patterns Oscar. The software won't allow me!

henry1
05-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Going with a nature theme, I developed a creeping buttercup flower pattern for the side of the case. It is my wife's favorite flower so got some much needed brownie points.

The mpc shown was created by simply doubling the pattern and then mirroring across the center. I then used a square carved region to even out the blank areas so there wouldn't be any high points in the pattern.
You have a private message

oscarl48
05-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Suzanne,

Thank you for the very gracious offer. My concern was for some of the CW users using version 1 of Designer who may have problems creating their own designs with the patterns I am sharing. But this is a blank slate so they can use their own patterns if they want.

Again thank you for the thought and kind offer.

Regards,
Oscar

oscarl48
05-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Took the day off so I've started building the clock today. Its supposed to be dry today but the rest of the weekend its forcasted to rain.

Already I am discovering things I didn't do correctly in the plan. Like in the arch, I did not account for the 1/8 cut from the bit for the doors. So the stile are slightly too large. Also the back panel will be 10" minus the width of the case wood and not 10". So another error.

I will make a clean up this afternoon of the cut material and plans to make all the changes needed that I am discovering now through trial and error. So far fairly minor.

henry1
05-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Took the day off so I've started building the clock today. Its supposed to be dry today but the rest of the weekend its forcasted to rain.

Already I am discovering things I didn't do correctly in the plan. Like in the arch, I did not account for the 1/8 cut from the bit for the doors. So the stile are slightly too large. Also the back panel will be 10" minus the width of the case wood and not 10". So another error.

I will make a clean up this afternoon of the cut material and plans to make all the changes needed that I am discovering now through trial and error. So far fairly minor.

Oscar48 you did not answer my private message any reason why

oscarl48
05-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Henry,

Sorry meant to get back to it and got distracted...squirrel. Sent you my email address.

Taking a 10 min break to let some glue set. I am trying to get all the pieces cut to final dimension today and if the weather holds I can assemble it tomorrow. Mad dash to beat the weather.

Regards,
Oscar

oscarl48
05-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Time beat me. Just did 10hrs of straight woodworking and I am beat and starting to make mistakes so quitting for the day and opening a bottle of good vodka. I have all the major pieces cut to dimension with a few exceptions. I started the finials on the lathe but after rushing it, the second one looks nothing like the first so that was the aha moment I had to stop.

A few initial thoughts; the rosettes I picked are too intricate for the size. I lost a lot of wow factor because they are so small in comparison to the piece. The creeping buttercup design came out great. If they were bigger they would have been the star of the piece.

Since I only use hardwoods I attempt to minimize the waste as much as I can and today I wish I had bergerud's new fangled carrier. Because I didn't use the 7" rule the bit wandered towards the end of the cut on the arch due to the wood being under only one roller. Some time at the bandsaw and sanding station saved the piece but another lesson learned. At the end of the day I only have a nice pile of cut pieces now and a door to show for my efforts.

I still need to route the edges on the shelves, cut the bottom back panel and need to turn 6 more finials. I will have to figure out how I will be hiding the screws. It should be fairly simple with all the layers of wood in the piece so in the end there should only be one set of screws visible in the worst case.

oscarl48
05-24-2015, 08:27 AM
Still playing on the pattern to use for the bottom back panel (5"x4"). I want a small bird but so far my poor modeling skills has been a source of frustration. So far I have a head developed that I think I may use. It is a strong contender at this point.

oscarl48
05-24-2015, 02:25 PM
I am going to try an experiment next weekend when I have a chance to resume this project. I find turning very soothing and enjoyable but I get impatient and my repeatability is pretty bad because I don't take the time to measure things out correctly. So I am going to see how the finials come out as an STL two part carvings using the CW. I may have to throw them back on the lathe for sanding but I believe it should work.

The pattern is of one slice only which you then have to carve two of them and glue together. Given the amount of waste you get from turning this is actually a lot more thrifty.

bergerud
05-24-2015, 04:04 PM
So you I guess you do not want to do double sided? Another idea is to do two halves and drill guide holes. Then you can glue them together before you break them out. Use 1/8" pins to line up the halves. If you used book matched boards...

oscarl48
05-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Nice. I forgot to even consider a double sided carve. It would be a lot easier to glue up the pieces beforehand and then doing the carve. Another idea to ponder. Thank you for setting up the mpc. It was very instructive on how you arranged and aligned everything.

My one attempt at a double sided carve was a failure but when I have your jig built I think I'll have more confidence in attempting again in the future.

oscarl48
05-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Enclosed is the top finial pattern in two parts (front, back). They are slightly different but you can use either or both as your front or back whether you like the button or not.

The other finials are all 3 inches tall, this one is 4.25 tall for emphasis.

oscarl48
05-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Experiment completed and I think I will go with the lathe. The CW does a decent job but the finials are so small that there just isn't a lot to work with. This still needs a little bit more sanding but this is what I got from the top finial pattern. I believe if it was a little bigger it would be better. I am going to use this one for the top but the detail leads me to believe the other pattern will not be as clean as working on the lathe because of the size. This pattern would probably look great with the 1/32 carving bit but I am perfectly happy with designer 2.

RogerB
05-25-2015, 07:39 PM
This would work if you added a center piece. It would make it a little bigger.:rolleyes: Thanks for sharing your idea's and patterns.

oscarl48
05-26-2015, 08:35 AM
RogerB thanks. I agree it needs a little bit more beefing up. It came down that it took about the same time to use the CW or lathe and I enjoy turning. Not good at it but I enjoy the zen aspect of turning.

oscarl48
05-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Some progress. I got all the finials turned as well as the two columns that go in the front. I had a thought, if you didn't want to turn the columns or didn't have a lathe a fancy stair baluster could be cut down to size as long as the design was close to the dimensions and the end wood blocks could be resized to make up for any difference in height. Quick search in Lowes website shows some carved balusters starting at 5 dollars.

oscarl48
05-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Two more carvings to go. I will be going with the bird head for the bottom portion and the inside back panel will be white lilly bunch. The white lilly 3d model is not mine but licensed under creative commons with full credit to nmn9 at http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/74582. I did remove the vase the flowers were in to make it fit the clock theme of wilderness. A beautiful vase just didn't scream primitive wilderness.

All hardware purchased today so I will be putting the clock together this weekend. Things left to do:

1. Route a profile on the shelf panels.
2. Finish the two carvings.
3. Make some molding to cover the back panel joints and create some additional shadow lines.
4. Drill the square blocks to accept the finials and dowels.
5. Drill pocket holes and countersinks for the screws.
6. And finally put it all together.

I'll take plenty of pictures of the process and if it looks good I'll work on making a good cut list and document steps to assemble.

oscarl48
05-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Lost some time with adjusting the design and trying to document the assembly process. I am attempting to build some instructions to build this monster. In the end its going to be over 3 feet long, 16 in wide and 7 in deep. The design is highly adaptable if someone wants to change something in particular.

I still have to drill the holes for the finials and attach them. I need to make some molding to cover some of the seams that didn't quite line up. I was also a little off on the column height so will be covering the gap as well. I didn't want to shave the door down so gave the case a 1/4 in increased but failed to compensate on the column. Easy fix with the cover up. It'll look like I meant to add the additional shadow line. That will be for tomorrow. Ran out of steam.

Again no advanced joinery so a very simple build. I'll try to post the instructions in the next few days.

oscarl48
05-31-2015, 12:02 AM
The final steps are more aesthetics and cleaning up some of my mess ups with the build and don't affect the instructions so going ahead and posting what I have so far.

So disclaimer up front. These are not very good instructions. My hat goes off to Suzanne and Dan and all the wonderful project creators on here. It was a learning tool like most of my patterns for myself. Its been over 15 years since I attempted to create any type of instructional materials. And I am really really rusty. The instructions make several assumptions, the biggest of which is the reader has several years of wood working under their belts. The instructions tell you what step to do and not necessarily how to do it. Please let me know if I missed the mark on that.

Having said that, this is not a hard build. Basic wood working skills and a few tools are all you need. The idea is to create layers of wood that cover the previous mechanical fasteners (screws) so that in the end you don't see any. People may think that real craftsman level wood working was done instead of basic wood joinery. When I was younger I did beautiful pieces without a single nail or screw. Now I just want to enjoy the piece and don't really care if its not passed down three generations from now. This is for me.

All critics are welcome. If there are any errors please let me know.

I'll post a picture of the clock when completely complete. Still need to attach the finials and make a stained glass window for the door.

oscarl48
05-31-2015, 07:43 PM
Completed the clock finally. Turned a new top finial and installed all the finials plus added some clear stained glass. Four coats of laquor, then installed the clock mechanism and added a store bought face. Realized as I was installing it that was another carving opportunity. You can carve the clock face as well if you want. This is good enough for me. Now have to figure out where I can hang it. It is about 20lbs so not super light.

If anyone attempts this best of luck in a good way. It was a fun little project and if planned correctly can be done in just a few days. Simple butt joint and screws.

The picture were taken under different light to show some of the detail of the clock. It looks very different

Regards,
Oscar

mtylerfl
05-31-2015, 08:59 PM
Outstanding job, Oscar! I especially like this project because I have a similar clock project "waiting in the wings" from a couple years or so ago. I am so glad you did yours - it is beautiful and inspiring to say the least!

I should add - your instructions are beautiful, too! Great work.

henry1
06-01-2015, 05:24 AM
Amassing great project you done good

oscarl48
06-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Michael, Henry,

Thank you. It was a fun little project.

Michael looking forward to see your clock project.

Oscar

CNC Carver
06-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Very nice work. Thanks for sharing instructions. Put on my big todo list!
Jeff

dbemus
06-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Beautiful clock!!! Thanks for all your effort and generous sharing. This is on my to do list, probably next winter. Looking forward to it.

oscarl48
07-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Okay. I now have the pendulum clock, my steam punk mantel clock, cuckoo clock and the grandfather clock all going off at the same time. Super cool. :D

Bigtyme
07-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Nicely done, Oscar. Great work and super design. Well done....

RogerB
07-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Very nice Oscer .Only 1 thing missing. My living room:rolleyes: Great work.