PDA

View Full Version : LED Light Strips (How to use).

NLAlston
05-17-2015, 12:56 PM
I very recently had a less than satisfactory situation with attempting to use some plastic, light diffusing material to (hopefully) spread the illumination of my Puck Light (litho backlighting). I will get that worked out, but am highly interested in learning about the usage of LED Strip Lights.

I have searched the Internet, and was able to find quite a bit of info on them - but nothing, really, regarding HOW to install for lithophanes. I could be wrong, but seem to think that they are not given for being used with stand-alone, flat litho panels. So, if their advantage would be within using them inside of an enclosure, what would be the best way to do that? Would they be stripped along the back, side, bottom - or directly on the reverse side of the litho, itself? How many of the lights should be used to give nice illumination to, say, a box housing an 8"x10" litho?

Answers to those questions (and any other info that you would like to share) would be most deeply appreciated.

Advanced thanks.

Blessings,
Nathan

fwharris
05-17-2015, 02:08 PM
This is how I have been doing the boxes. I run the light strips about 1/2" back from where the litho panel will sit. This set up is using a battery pack for the power source but can easily be done with a 12 volt power adapter. I also line the inside with reflective tape.

NLAlston
05-17-2015, 04:54 PM
This is how I have been doing the boxes. I run the light strips about 1/2" back from where the litho panel will sit. This set up is using a battery pack for the power source but can easily be done with a 12 volt power adapter. I also line the inside with reflective tape.

FW (are you Floyd?), I am deeply endeared to you, for this.

I won't stop making the 'Litho On Stand' type of projects, because i really like them, too. But the even illuminative effect, provided by the 'encased' strip lighting is just what I was looking for, also. Love your project and, now, I can't WAIT to get ahold of the necessary items I will need.

THANKS.

NLAlston
05-17-2015, 05:08 PM
FW, - not trying to take up all of your time :D, but I have two more questions for you.

1). How deep do you, typically, make your boxes for 8"x10" lithos? I know you said that you use a distance of 1/2" behind the litho, to install your strip lights, and I reasonably sure that this distance does not change. But I just wondered about the depth of your boxes.

2). Are there wattage differences for The LED Strip Lights, and (if so) which wattage should I seek to buy?

Canemaker
05-17-2015, 05:15 PM
I too have a question for FW... how would the lights work if placed in a rabbit cut on a horizontal cut facing the back of the litho? HOpe that makes cents. lol

Mugsowner
05-17-2015, 06:01 PM
As far as 2). Leds have very low draw. Strips of 3528 single color have a draw of .08 watts per led. Tri color such as the 5050 draw .24 watts per led. The numbers 3828, 5050 are sizes which are measured in milimeters. When cutting strip lights keep in mind you must cut at the cut points, which you will see after every three leds. Leds are diodes with means power can only flow thru in one direction only. If you put power to them backwards they will not light and can be damaged from this. They are well marked with a + or - to indicate direction. Tri color are the same but have three + and one - and are normally run off a controller. I use both for many projects and use an old computor power supplies with a slight wiring change to feed me 12 volt power, works great, but thats another tale.

Mugsowner
05-17-2015, 06:11 PM
Canemaker that should work fine if you use diffussing of some sort as the leds will give you bright spots.
They are a bit intense. They come with two sided tape on them to install. If the tape does not want to behave and do as should(stick). I grab a hot melt glue gun.

fwharris
05-17-2015, 06:55 PM
FW (are you Floyd?), I am deeply endeared to you, for this.

I won't stop making the 'Litho On Stand' type of projects, because i really like them, too. But the even illuminative effect, provided by the 'encased' strip lighting is just what I was looking for, also. Love your project and, now, I can't WAIT to get ahold of the necessary items I will need.

THANKS.

Yes I am Floyd! Plus a few others but I will not get into that! :)

fwharris
05-17-2015, 07:08 PM
FW, - not trying to take up all of your time :D, but I have two more questions for you.

1). How deep do you, typically, make your boxes for 8"x10" lithos? I know you said that you use a distance of 1/2" behind the litho, to install your strip lights, and I reasonably sure that this distance does not change. But I just wondered about the depth of your boxes.

2). Are there wattage differences for The LED Strip Lights, and (if so) which wattage should I seek to buy?

Mugsowner took care of #2! way better than I could explain it.

For the box shown it was between 3 - 4" because of inclosing the battery pack. With using a 120 V to 12 V power source you could probably go with between 1 - 2" depending on the type of switch you use.

Putting the light strip in a rabbit cut would work very well. I would still do it on the box side though to keep from the direct light to the litho surface. Adding the foil tape give a strong reflective surface for the light.

You do have to be careful to avoid sharp bends with the light strip as it might break the thin wire connecting the circuit.

Mugsowner
05-17-2015, 08:01 PM
I see Floyd noticed they do not like sharp bends. There are waterproof and non waterproof out there to get your hands on. The non water proof are a bit cheaper, but are also less forgiving to mishanding. Waterproof on the other hand are sealed in silicone to protect them from the world a touch, which also helps in the bending do to the thicker rubber like coat.

t-townwilson
05-17-2015, 09:14 PM
I have tried attaching the led light strip to the perimeter of the box with little success, though many do that. My experience has been that I see "hot spots" through the litho, and insufficient illumination. I prefer to run the strips in parallel lines on the board behind the litho. This process use more lights, but they are not costly. I also use a 12V A/C adapter with all my lithos. I buy 8X10 shadow boxes at Hobby Lobby for about $12 when they are on half-prce sale every other week. Can't build it that cheaply. I line the backer board with silver foil. I estimate that I have approximately $45 invested in each litho, and sell them for $150. Below are pictures of a sample of my lithos. (sorry about the pictures that should be rotated. I don't know how��

fwharris
05-17-2015, 09:37 PM
This is the light strips I've been using http://www.ebay.com/itm/350349873777?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 They are a nice bright light and so far the adhesive seems to hold very well on the foil tape.

PSQRD
05-26-2015, 04:54 PM
Mugsowner and T-townwilson, in regards to power supplies I have a question. I have some LED strips rated at 12V 2A 24W and a power supply at 12V 1A, I noticed one of you mentioned using old computer power supplies? I have a few laying around that are otherwise junk but noticed the rated output is 19V at 3A - correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that fry the LED lights? and is there a simple way to step down the output a little so I can put these useless plugs to good use? Thanks in advance!

Mugsowner
05-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Mugsowner and T-townwilson, in regards to power supplies I have a question. I have some LED strips rated at 12V 2A 24W and a power supply at 12V 1A, I noticed one of you mentioned using old computer power supplies? I have a few laying around that are otherwise junk but noticed the rated output is 19V at 3A - correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that fry the LED lights? and is there a simple way to step down the output a little so I can put these useless plugs to good use? Thanks in advance!

Not sure what type of supply you have there. They may be stating total DC voltage supplied to output. Could you post a picture of the supply. Do you have a DC volt meter? There should be one green wire in the harness. This is a signal wire used to tell the power supply that it is hook up to a pc allowing it to turn on. Connect the green wire to one of the black wires next to it in the harness. If it does not turn on try a different black wire. Black wires are your grounds. The yellow wires shouid have 12+volt on them.

PSQRD
05-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Laptop power supply to be specific, I'll post a picture if I can get it to work with my phone. I havent' peeled back the wire yet to see what color is under the black insulation.

CNC Carver
05-27-2015, 06:00 AM
Lights will only draw amps they need as long as you are above what is required you will not have an issue. Make sure DC or AC is what lights need and that is what your CPU is supplying.

Mugsowner
05-27-2015, 06:06 AM
Laptop power supply to be specific, I'll post a picture if I can get it to work with my phone. I havent' peeled back the wire yet to see what color is under the black insulation.

I have never used a laptop supply, but I am sure they will work, but you will have to figure out the wire youself. The voltage needs for the laptop should be same as a pc.

Mugsowner
05-27-2015, 06:56 AM
Lights will only draw amps they need as long as you are above what is required you will not have an issue. Make sure DC or AC is what lights need and that is what your CPU is supplying.

This is true, they will only draw the power they need, but that only goes for amps/watts. Voltage is not the same, you must not over feed voltage. Some items may handle a couple volts higher than their rating. Example is autos which are 12 volt, but when running they have a voltage around 13.5, which does no damage to the 12 volt componets used in their build. If you would put higher voltages to items it seems to let the smoke out of the item rendering it useless.

CNC Carver
05-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Yes Mugsowner you are right I was only talking about amps and making sure voltage and dv or ac is matched.

Mugsowner
05-27-2015, 09:45 PM
That is what I saw, which I thought was great. Just thought I would just get a touch more in to it help everyone understand what we are doing to light these up. I should state to add always check the voltage req. on the strip you are using. Leds (light emiting diodes) are DC powered and 3 volts as a single led. The strips you can find normaly are wired for 12 volt DC. Most strips may be cut to the length you need, but are in groups of three and must be cut this way example 3 leds long, 6 leds long, 9 leds long, and so on. There are cut line on them to help with this. At the cut lines there are solder tabs on each side of the cut.