PDA

View Full Version : Photos of my first Lithophane (finished).

NLAlston
05-15-2015, 07:07 PM
I just got finished building a stand for my first Litho, and wanted to share what I did with you all. I had seen a stand made by one of the members, here, and liked it so much that I thought I'd use that design concept.

I have to say, though, that I am not thrilled with the 'Spotlight' effect of my back lighting, and now understand that I committed myself to the construction with the Puck Light being a bit too close. I should have lent myself toward spacing distances, to see what the best position of the light would be, BEFORE moving further. I don't know how much further, back, the Puck Light would have needed to be, before a more complete illumination might have been effected, but I will certainly find that out - next time :D.

DianMayfield
05-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Nathan,

I bought a flash diffuser for my Nikon. It attaches to the pop up flash, is a rectangle about 3x5". I wonder if that would help you. Found it at Best Buy, and I think it was pretty inexpensive. If you search the internet for "home made flash diffuser" there are more than a few as well. You could test the effect in advance by putting one or two paper towels between the light and the litho.

Great job on it, a real tribute to a loved one :)

NLAlston
05-16-2015, 01:33 AM
Just for fun, I would try and take several scraps of wood and enclose the puck light creating a box effect. I would even take some simple aluminum foil and line the box and see if that improves the spotlight effect. Just to get to see if this works without any cost or unnecessary expense, take a cardboard box and cut out the front and place your litho stand in the box to see if there is any difference. Good Luck, I love your stand it looks very professional.

Thanks.

I will give that a shot. You never know...it just MAY work for me :)

NLAlston
05-16-2015, 01:57 AM
Nathan,

I bought a flash diffuser for my Nikon. It attaches to the pop up flash, is a rectangle about 3x5". I wonder if that would help you. Found it at Best Buy, and I think it was pretty inexpensive. If you search the internet for "home made flash diffuser" there are more than a few as well. You could test the effect in advance by putting one or two paper towels between the light and the litho.

Great job on it, a real tribute to a loved one :)

Yes, he (Khufu) was indeed loved, and we miss him dearly.

I never even thought of utilizing a diffusing type element, even though I am also a photographer - and (coincidentally ) also shoot with a Nikon (D300). I will look into the cost of what you have referred to, as well as researching a similar DIY counterpart.

Thanks, much, for sharing.

zan29
05-16-2015, 06:46 AM
This a nice project but a light diffuser would do the trick which you can buy at homedepot. They come in sheets that you can cut to size by scoring it with a utility knife.

mtylerfl
05-16-2015, 07:21 AM
I am liking the idea of a diffused light puck behind the lithophane as an alternative for a complete enclosure like we normally do. If the light can be diffused "nicely", then it will make a rather nice accent light fixture for the room, as well as lighting up the litho panel.

NLAlston
05-16-2015, 09:56 AM
This a nice project but a light diffuser would do the trick which you can buy at homedepot. They come in sheets that you can cut to size by scoring it with a utility knife.

Guess what? Heading there, today :smile:.

zan29
05-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Show us the results!

Guess what? Heading there, today :smile:.

NLAlston
05-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Show us the results!

I really wish that I HAD some results to show you, but my attempt produced no dramatic output. Maybe I had bought the wrong thing. I had went in to Home Depot, and inquired as to the light diffusing panels. I (for about $10) picked one those 2'x4' diffusing panels that you see in those fluorescent light grids. I cut out an 8"x10" section, as well as a 2-1/2" circular piece to sit directly on the face of the Puck Light. Neither one seemed to make any real mentionable difference, save for a slight feathering around the edges of the spot-lighted effect of my lighting. Maybe I can find some other use for the balance of that diffusing panel.

So, for now, it appears that I am just going to have to play around with the positioning of the lights (on future projects) before locking in on a permanent location for it, as I did for our Pet's litho.

zan29
05-17-2015, 12:46 PM
It has to be glued on the lithopane itself. Is that what you did??

NLAlston
05-17-2015, 01:02 PM
It has to be glued on the lithopane itself. Is that what you did??

No, I did not. But what I DID do was to hold the diffusing piece right up against the backside of the litho. When that didn't give me what I sought for I moved varying distances between the litho and the light. No real difference. After that, I took the smaller, circular piece that I had cut and placed that directly on the Puck Light. There, again, was no real differing effect.

zan29
05-17-2015, 06:47 PM
I'm surprised, mine worked like a charm the moment I glued the light diffuser. I'm so sorry it didn't work out.

mtylerfl
05-17-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm surprised, mine worked like a charm the moment I glued the light diffuser. I'm so sorry it didn't work out.

Hi Suzanne,

I wonder if you could post a photo of the type of diffuser you used (and a photo of the actual litho with the diffuser in place). There are different kinds of diffuser patterns/prisms - perhaps Nathan used one that didn't diffuse the light as well as yours. A couple photos would be helpful for us all.

zan29
05-17-2015, 07:37 PM
I can only post a picture of the diffuser but the litho is long gone. Will do that tomorrow.

Hi Suzanne,

I wonder if you could post a photo of the type of diffuser you used (and a photo of the actual litho with the diffuser in place). There are different kinds of diffuser patterns/prisms - perhaps Nathan used one that didn't diffuse the light as well as yours. A couple photos would be helpful for us all.

NLAlston
05-17-2015, 08:41 PM

Not YOUR fault that it didn't, my friend. But it was worth a shot :D.

NLAlston
05-17-2015, 08:44 PM
I can only post a picture of the diffuser but the litho is long gone. Will do that tomorrow.

I, too, am looking forward to the photo of your diffuser.

zan29
05-18-2015, 04:14 AM
Here are the pictures of the diffuser I use.

mtylerfl
05-18-2015, 07:05 AM
Thank you for the photos, Suzanne.

NLAlston
05-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Here are the pictures of the diffuser I use.

Suzanne, I also thank you for the pics. It had (just previously) been my erroneous assumption that all diffusing elements shared the same, exact characteristics. I learned that they certainly do not.