PDA

View Full Version : centerline text too shallow

t-townwilson
05-15-2015, 11:46 AM
I realize that I can't change the depth of carving with the 60 degree and 90 degree v-bits, however, I often find that they sometimes carve so shallowly that the text is illegible, or they carve so deeply that it is unattractive. I carve my logo (consisting of text only) on the back of my various sized cutting boards, and sometimes I have to stop the motor after the bit has "found the surface" and lower it slightly in the collet to make the carve deeper. The boards vary in thickness. The text is also relatively small, perhaps 1/4" tall. Is that the problem? It seems that even when I have the correct board thickness in Designer, I have inconsistent results. I can live with the too deep carvings (but would prefer not to), but I usually have to recarve those that are too shallow with the former work around. It seems to me that if the CW is truly sensing the surface, it would carve at an appropriate depth. Thank you to those of you with greater knowledge and experience! :)

Ron

fwharris
05-15-2015, 12:11 PM
You might have a similar problem that others have had with centerline/vector carving depths. They had to contact CarveWright to get them to send them a patch file to reset the machine calibration.

bergerud
05-15-2015, 12:36 PM
I have not had these depth inconsistencies. Is the V bit the bit which does the touch? Do you jog to where the text will be for the touch? Does your z truck move smoothly through is whole length of travel? Does this happen with all types of fonts? Does the machine get the depths right with other operations?

If you say yes to all of these then I think you need to take Floyd's advice and call LHR.

t-townwilson
05-15-2015, 02:58 PM
The V-bit is the bit which touches. I do not jog to location. Z truck moves smoothly as far as I know. Not sure about which fonts are affected. Additional but perhaps unrelated problem on depth issue. Occasionally when cutting through board on an outline, the first cut is inside the remaining cuts, leaving a ledge on the outside edges.

bergerud
05-15-2015, 03:21 PM
You should make up a test that others can also try. Some simple text with a basic font. Jog to touch where you cut it and lets see what happens. Post the mpc and post a picture.

(The stair stepping is something else. Tracking.)

fwharris
05-15-2015, 04:45 PM
The last person I helped out with this (shallow V carving) was also having an issue with cut raster carving depths. It was carving off to top of his patterns (leaving them flush with the board surface). After getting the patch the carving depths were as designed.

I think there were a batch of machines sold in early 2013 (or end of 2012) that had this issue...

lynnfrwd
05-15-2015, 05:26 PM
It was early 2013 (or end of 2012). C model machines, only. Have only found that a couple of machines had this issue.

Z calibration needed to be reset via a file specifically created for that machine serial number. It was made obvious when carving centerline, but happened EVERY time, not intermittently.

Carve a 1" x 1" square carve region set at .25" then measure the depth of the carve.

DianMayfield
05-15-2015, 05:56 PM
Hi Connie,

My depths are always off of what was set in designer. How much off do they need to be for the patch?

lynnfrwd
05-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Hi Connie,

My depths are always off of what was set in designer. How much off do they need to be for the patch?

Send me an email with what it is and I will talk to the software engineer. Your machine was purchased after this time period.

lynnfrwd
05-15-2015, 06:07 PM
These were way off air carving above the board.

DianMayfield
05-15-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks Connie, I will run the test this weekend. One of my first posts was regarding air carving, if I remember correctly, it was a while ago now :)

Proctorw
05-17-2015, 05:58 AM
I had the problem with mine when I first purchased it. Connie and Team were great in helping me figure it out. One of the engineers actually got on the phone with me to completely understand the problem. Patch fixed it.