PDA

View Full Version : board to thick to cut

xchief807
05-15-2015, 09:59 AM
I am doing a carve and cutout on a 3/4 inch board. I have it on a sled also 3/4 I keep getting an error message board is to thick to cut. In the past it would measure the board then ask me the actual thickness and I would put it in manually. this time its not asking, its asking if I want to abort or keep going. Im just afraid its going to try and cut both boards.

Kevin

myshop1044
05-15-2015, 10:09 AM
I feel your pain, I had the same problem awhile back, one of my machines did not have a problem, the other
had the board to thick. If I said continue, it would ignore the thickness of the project and the cut path would go deep into
the sled. My buddy Bergerd tried it and kept getting the same error.
I even run just run the sled thru with the same project and would get the same error.
no one can seem to come up with an answer for this

xchief807
05-15-2015, 10:12 AM
This is the first time I ran one just like this the other day and no problem

myshop1044
05-15-2015, 10:29 AM
I have not been able to tied down the cause either, I let the cutpath make 2 passes and that is near the thickness of the board, then I stop the process, I know that is not the answer, but when you need to finish the project, you do what you have to do.

bergerud
05-15-2015, 10:29 AM
I am still waiting for Metallus to get back to me on what causes this "failure". If you press continue, it will cut to the max depth of 1". So do not continue. On one of my machines, I put a small shim on the bit plate and then I got the error. This means that somehow this error state is triggered by the distance from the bit plate to the board being too large. Is your bit plate bent up? Head cranked all the way down?

Another way around this would be to use a touch block like on my Universal Board Carrier. If the bit touches something at the brass roller, it will not go into this state.

What is really going on here is still a mystery to me.

aokweld101
05-15-2015, 10:32 AM
what thickness on your virtual board did you use .. and sled one like bergerud is using?

xchief807
05-15-2015, 10:35 AM
i used the board 3/4 it has never done this before it usally will ask what is the actual thickness and I put in .75 I have done 3-4 cutouts no problem not sure what is up. I just reloaded it from another computer I am going to try and see what happens.

xchief807
05-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Ok Update I used my computer down stairs and loaded the carve on to the flash card went outside loaded it on the machine it's now carving went off without a hitch. not sure why.

bergerud
05-15-2015, 10:44 AM
what thickness on your virtual board did you use .. and sled one like bergerud is using?

When the bit fails to touch at the brass roller, the firmware can get into this "error" state where it thinks the board is too thick. It is a problem which happens with thick boards and sleds.

This is the main reason for the touch block on the keypad side of the UCB.

I think this is a firmware problem which needs to be fixed. After all, how is it possible for the machine to measure the difference between a thick board or a board on a sled?

xchief807
05-15-2015, 10:55 AM
not sure but I had the board loaded and kept it loaded the whole time. I tried twice to reload the project from my laptop. Then I went down to my home computer and designed the project and loaded it on the flash and it worked no problem. go figure.

bergerud
05-15-2015, 10:57 AM
It almost seems random.

aokweld101
05-15-2015, 11:01 AM
That was my frist thought when you made the board carrier, is how could it measure the thickness of the board when your sled is thicker than the parameters of the machine.