PDA

View Full Version : How do cut outs work

rjp736
03-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Im going to do my first cut out. Does it carve the project first then cut the outline. How does it cut it out. I am cutting an oval, does it cut from side to side like it does when carving or does it travel int the oval cutting a little at a time?

HandTurnedMaple
03-08-2007, 11:21 PM
It does the cut out last. It follows the complete outline in a continuous motion as in down one side, across an end, up the other side, and across the other end. It takes about 5 passes to cut through a 3/4" board, the last pass leaves 2-4 small tabs that hold it in place. You can then remove the piece from the board with a razor knife or similar object.

rjp736
03-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Thank You, was getting nervous beacuse this will be my first one..THANKS

Ron Smith
03-09-2007, 05:53 AM
I cut out an oval yesterday and it went all the way around and didn't leave any tabs. Luckily the piece was large enough it stayed under the rollers on the opposite end, but it shifted while doing the finishing cut. Was there something I did incorrectly that caused it not to leave tabs? It was a simple oval pattern. I am going to try some more today, but was curious if it was something I did or what might be the cause.

Charles M
03-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Ron,

Did it actually leave no tabs or were they just so thin that they didn't hold? I have had the latter happen causing parts to come loose in the machine.

HandTurnedMaple
03-09-2007, 09:15 AM
I cut out an oval yesterday and it went all the way around and didn't leave any tabs. Luckily the piece was large enough it stayed under the rollers on the opposite end, but it shifted while doing the finishing cut. Was there something I did incorrectly that caused it not to leave tabs? It was a simple oval pattern. I am going to try some more today, but was curious if it was something I did or what might be the cause.
Its always left 2 tabs on my ovals. You are using "Cut Path" correct?

Ron Smith
03-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Since I haven't used it since the first attempt some weeks ago, this is the second time I've tried to use it. I made the oval in designer, selected cut path and "accept". Is there more I need to do? Maybe the tabs were too small and broke off as mentioned. I'm not sure, but I will give it another go this weekend. Thanks folks.

HandTurnedMaple
03-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Just Cut Path and accept (I usually have to do Flip Cut too because I want what's inside the path to be the size indicated).

Mike
03-09-2007, 09:08 PM
I am humbled..............I learn more every day