PDA

View Full Version : My First Litho Carving Has been done.

NLAlston
05-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Yes, I have finally gotten around to being able to carve my FIRST lithophane. Considering some circumstances I was surprised at how it came out (will post a pic, later).

In the Designer program I had selected the ‘Best’ bit optimization choice and, when setting up via the Carvewright’s LCD panel, had desired the highest quality setting there. However, the ONLY choice given me was the ‘Normal’ setting. I even went back through the process a couple more times, but was never able to find myself being presented with other choices.

On top of that, my DC kept giving out on me. Each time I switched it on (the Carvewright being in the ‘ON’ position, but without the motor running) the DC would kick out the power switch on my heavy duty shop extension cord’s outlet strip. Consequently, I wasn’t able to use it - but went ahead with the carving, anyway, and spent a pretty large amount of time (afterwards) getting my machine to look fairly clean again.

I used the 1/16th” carving bit and, as said above, felt pretty good about how it came out. Carving this first one has put me into an even deeper state of desire to do more. I mean, I REALLY enjoyed it. I don’t care to get in the habit of running my machine without the DC, so there’s no telling how long it will be before I am truly squared away, within that concern, to feel comfortable with doing more carvings.

Oh well, at least I got ONE done :).

fwharris
05-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Great job Nathan! Always great to get that first one done..

I do not think you can change the bit optimization at the machine, best is the highest setting. You can change carve quality though. For corian carvings I always up load with the optimal setting for a slower feed rate.

For your dust collector I would plug it directly into the wall outlet. At the start up it is probably drawing to much current for the power strip.

NLAlston
05-08-2015, 11:50 PM
Great job Nathan! Always great to get that first one done..

I do not think you can change the bit optimization at the machine, best is the highest setting. You can change carve quality though. For corian carvings I always up load with the optimal setting for a slower feed rate.

For your dust collector I would plug it directly into the wall outlet. At the start up it is probably drawing to much current for the power strip.

Yes (and I am sorry), it WAS the carve quality that I meant to say. I wasn't able to change that.

Regarding the power strip, I (also) had a bit of a thought that the strip, itself, might have been the culprit. However, I am not presently able to plug my DC into a wall outlet, because there is only ONE - in the whole, entire basement - and that one is at the opposite end of our basement. There are a number of overhead light fixtures, with integrated outlets, but just that ONE wall outlet. That's the way it was when we bought this home, back in 2001. This is the reason why I was running that heavy duty extension cord, with power strip, to handle my little shop. I know that I have to do SOMETHING, and that it needs to be done soon. Tomorrow, I am going to see what the associated costs would be for some wire, two circuit breakers and two plugs.

Hopefully, it won't be cost prohibitive for me :).

dbemus
05-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Congratulations on your first litho! Anxious to see a picture.

aokweld101
05-09-2015, 06:46 PM
I currently am using the carveright on my electrical circuit that runs all the outlets in the shop the only problem is that is all I can run ...I am in the process of running a line just for the carveright with it's own breaker.. I have a extention cord to run the dust collector... I'm getting out of useing the extetion cord... been doing it like that for two years ... I had it on my to do list just now getting to it

Canemaker
05-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Is it possible to move your cw close enough to the outlet to plug it in directly to the wall socket as well as the dust collector? I use only one socket to run both my cw and dust collector. I have a special plug that allows the dust collector to only start when there is actual carving being conducted. One of the senior members will probably know what it is called and it works well. I thinking that I was told, when I first started carving litho's that you only need to carve in normal since the depth was so shallow. ( I can't remember, but I'm thinking that this was told to me by someone at the conference). Can't wait for the picture.

** Thanks to Michael Tyler who explained the stepover percentages and how everything works. **

NLAlston
05-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Is it possible to move your cw close enough to the outlet to plug it in directly to the wall socket as well as the dust collector? I use only one socket to run both my cw and dust collector. I have a special plug that allows the dust collector to only start when there is actual carving being conducted. One of the senior members will probably know what it is called and it works well. I thinking that I was told, when I first started carving litho's that you only need to carve in normal since the depth was so shallow. ( I can't remember, but I'm thinking that this was told to me by someone at the conference). Can't wait for the picture.

The problem with moving my Carvewright to that one, and only socket, is that our freezer is also utilizing that outlet. Also, I really don't want to run my machine, again, without the DC because of the extreme amount of carving dust which was left behind. It took me a GOOD while to get my machine cleaned off (and out) and, though I didn't mind the work involved to get it back that way, I really don't want to chance such dust wreaking havoc on my machine. But I DO appreciate your suggestion.

NLAlston
05-09-2015, 07:35 PM
I currently am using the carveright on my electrical circuit that runs all the outlets in the shop the only problem is that is all I can run ...I am in the process of running a line just for the carveright with it's own breaker.. I have a extention cord to run the dust collector... I'm getting out of useing the extetion cord... been doing it like that for two years ... I had it on my to do list just now getting to it

Just today, I visited LOWE's to check into the cost of the electrical wiring elements that I would need. The cost factor wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (I could get all I need for less than $75). I am going to seek what the amperage draw is on my Carvewright, as well as my DC. Whatever gauge wire is recommended, I may step up to the next (larger) gauge. Having two dedicated electrical lines would make me feel a whole lot better, and would serve to allow BOTH of my devices to work happily, together. I have even thought of incorporating the 'Slow Start' breakers, for further assurance.

aokweld101
05-10-2015, 05:42 AM
I'm using a 20 amp circuit breaker '' I hope I am right, if not I will move up on the amperage, Someone chime in and let us know ....

Mugsowner
05-10-2015, 07:10 AM
20 amp is great for outlets while feeding with 12-2/ground. You may pigtail with 14g to the outlets, some areas reguire this. When installing outlets always tape around the outside of the outlet to prevent side screws from coming in contact with anything. If you install two dedicated electrical lines on a 20 amp each with 12-2/ground, you should never have a power issue, unless there is a power loss to the main. Lighting does not have as much draw, so 14-2/ground on a 15 amp breaker does the job.

aokweld101
05-10-2015, 11:46 AM
I have been working on my electical all morning I have done some wireing in the past to my electrical box and did the quickist way to get the water heater, outlets and air compressor, didn't go drill holes though the 2x4's or put the tye downs that hold the wires in the box... it looked like an accident fixin to happen..

NLAlston
05-10-2015, 12:26 PM
20 amp is great for outlets while feeding with 12-2/ground. You may pigtail with 14g to the outlets, some areas reguire this. When installing outlets always tape around the outside of the outlet to prevent side screws from coming in contact with anything. If you install two dedicated electrical lines on a 20 amp each with 12-2/ground, you should never have a power issue, unless there is a power loss to the main. Lighting does not have as much draw, so 14-2/ground on a 15 amp breaker does the job.

Great, then. It will definitely be the 12/2 ground on 20 amp breakers.

mtylerfl
05-10-2015, 02:19 PM
... I thinking that I was told, when I first started carving litho's that you only need to carve in normal since the depth was so shallow. ( I can't remember, but I'm thinking that this was told to me by someone at the conference). Can't wait for the picture.

I don't think anyone would recommend running a lithophane project on Normal, and the quality setting doesn't have anything to do with the depth of a carving anyway.

The differences between the Draft, Normal, Best and Optimal settings is the quality of the carve result. Each selection has its own factory preset percentage overlap setting for the bit tip passes (this "overlap" setting is called Stepover in standard CNC terminology). Higher quality needs lower percentage stepover. The lower the percentage, the longer a carve takes, but yields higher quality. For lithos, I recommend Best as an absolute minimum setting, but Optimal will yield the highest quality outcome.

In other CNC software, the user can specify their own percentage stepover for raster carving. The CarveWright Designer software has the four preset modes to choose from. Draft, Normal, Best and Optimal. Based on my own tesing and comparisons with my ShopBot machine stepover settings, I have determined these approximate stepover percentages to the CarveWright. These may or may not be exactly right, but I'm sure they are very close:

Draft = 16.6% stepover
Normal = 12.5% stepover
Best = 8.3% stepover
Optimal = 6.2% stepover

(if I set my ShopBot project to a 10% stepover for my finish passes, 10% has the same overall appearance as the Best [8.3%] setting of the CW, but with slightly more visible machining lines)

dbemus
05-10-2015, 02:52 PM

It is called an I-socket or I-vac. Very convenient to have, CarveWright plugs into one side and dust collector into the other side. Dust collector starts and stops with the Carvewright. Purchased mine from Rockler.

NLAlston
05-10-2015, 03:37 PM
The CarveWright Designer software has the four preset modes to choose from. Draft, Normal, Best and Optimal.

Then, it is surely a matter of my having had done something wrong, in the 'Designer' setup. I think I went to 'Bit Optimization' and chose BEST. I remember having had read, somewhere on the forum, where the OP had mentioned about choosing the highest quality setting, also, from the Carvewight's LCD display. All that was presented to me, regarding a quality setting, was NORMAL. I am really going to have to seek out what the issue was, before I get into carving another lithophane. I am looking to generate some degree of income, doing these, and want to be able to give clients the absolute best that I can.

DianMayfield
05-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Then, it is surely a matter of my having had done something wrong, in the 'Designer' setup. I think I went to 'Bit Optimization' and chose BEST. I remember having had read, somewhere on the forum, where the OP had mentioned about choosing the highest quality setting, also, from the Carvewight's LCD display. All that was presented to me, regarding a quality setting, was NORMAL. I am really going to have to seek out what the issue was, before I get into carving another lithophane. I am looking to generate some degree of income, doing these, and want to be able to give clients the absolute best that I can.

You choose the Optimal (or others) during the upload to the card. I don't think you can override that once at the machine.

mtylerfl
05-10-2015, 04:19 PM
You choose the Optimal (or others) during the upload to the card. I don't think you can override that once at the machine.

Yes, there are two types of quality settings...one is the Bit Optimization selected during the design/layout process in Designer. Nathan correctly selected BEST for the Bit Optimization. (I think where Nathan went "wrong" was during the project upload to the Memory Card where he apparently selected the carve quality as "Normal".)

So, Nathan, during upload to your memory Card, click the arrow at the right side of the selection box area for carve quality to choose a higher carve quality from there (i.e., Best or Optimal).

NLAlston
05-10-2015, 04:23 PM

Ok. Methinks, now, that - in my haste filled anxiousness - I may have missed THAT step. In fact, looking back on things in retrospect, I don't remember doing ANYTHING during the upload. I will be keenly aware of the info you've provided, next time.

Thank you.

NLAlston
05-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Yes, there are two types of quality settings...one is the Bit Optimization selected during the design/layout process in Designer. Nathan correctly selected BEST for the Bit Optimization. (I think where Nathan went "wrong" was during the project upload to the Memory Card where he apparently selected the carve quality as "Normal".)

So, Nathan, during upload to your memory Card, click the arrow at the right side of the selection box area for carve quality to choose a higher carve quality from there (i.e., Best or Optimal).

I thank you, too, for your understanding - AND for your thoughtfulness on giving me this information.

NLAlston
05-10-2015, 04:57 PM

Well, here is a picture of my very first litho. I had to place it in front of a window, owing to the fact that I don't have any artificial backlighting, yet. The picture doesn't do justice to the lithophane, as it does look much better than what is pictured. But I wanted to share my first litho with you all.

DianMayfield
05-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Nathan, we call that eagerness :) And it is wonderful that you want to get right at it, and at the same time are not afraid to ask questions! Took me a long time to get where I would try a litho.

mtylerfl
05-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Well, here is a picture of my very first litho. I had to place it in front of a window, owing to the fact that I don't have any artificial backlighting, yet. The picture doesn't do justice to the lithophane, as it does look much better than what is pictured. But I wanted to share my first litho with you all.

I think that turned out very nice - congrats on your first lithophane!

The next one will be even more outstanding when selecting Best (or Optimal if you are in the mood for a very long carve) during Memory Card upload, but this first one does indeed look really good! I'm hoping Robert Dages sees this and can give you some of his recommendations as far as what quality setting he prefers for his lithos (he does a LOT of them!).

NLAlston
05-10-2015, 08:00 PM
I think that turned out very nice - congrats on your first lithophane!

The next one will be even more outstanding when selecting Best (or Optimal if you are in the mood for a very long carve) during Memory Card upload, but this first one does indeed look really good! I'm hoping Robert Dages sees this and can give you some of his recommendations as far as what quality setting he prefers for his lithos (he does a LOT of them!).

I have no issue, at all, with the time it might take to get a quality carving done :). I am just SO thankful for having such an awesome machine which allows for the capability of same. Carvings have always been an interest of mine, and I can remember (at about the age of 12) wrapping some electrical tape around one horizontal side of a double-sided razor blade, to give it some stiffness. I then set into a 2"x2"x3/4" piece of pine, to do a carving. It was a tribal mask that I carved, and someone liked it enough to buy it from me. Since then, I have tried a number of tools (hand, as well as electric) to further myself. My 'Foredom' was the closest to moving me along - that is, until I got my Carvewright. I had always preferred somewhat shallow carves, and the Carvewright would enable the precision & quality that I could never seem to achieve when doing it by hand.

I don't know WHO the mastermind was, at LHR, behind the creation of this truly wonderful machine - but he/she really needs to be applauded (and very heartily so).

mtylerfl
05-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Well said, Nathan!

Bigtyme
05-11-2015, 11:25 AM
+1 to Michael's comment, Nathan. I am amazed everyday what can be done with my CWs and their software. Someday, I may even be able to understand and use most of their abilities :) ....

dltccf
05-12-2015, 09:52 AM
I agree with your sentiment, Nathan. While I might complain when things go wrong, I truly love what can be done with the Carvewright and it makes every project I work on something unique. I also never cease to be amazed at the things I see others doing here on the forum with the machine and at the capabilities of the machine itself. I give a hearty salute to LHR for the product and the inventiveness behind it.

dave

bergerud
05-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Every time I watch the bit hit the wood, I think the same thing. This machine is amazing. I cannot understand why it has not taken over the world!

NLAlston
05-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Every time I watch the bit hit the wood, I think the same thing. This machine is amazing. I cannot understand why it has not taken over the world!

Exactly :).

NLAlston
05-12-2015, 04:54 PM
I agree with your sentiment, Nathan. While I might complain when things go wrong, I truly love what can be done with the Carvewright and it makes every project I work on something unique. I also never cease to be amazed at the things I see others doing here on the forum with the machine and at the capabilities of the machine itself. I give a hearty salute to LHR for the product and the inventiveness behind it.

dave

Yes...you've GOTTA love it - and I, most certainly, love mine :).

rcdages
05-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Nathan,

Very nice job on your first litho.

Not always dose the photo fit how well something carved.
Yet I feel what I am viewing of your litho it looks well done.

If you ever need any help or a question please feel free
to PM or email me.

Good Litho !!!!

NLAlston
05-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Nathan,

Very nice job on your first litho.

Not always dose the photo fit how well something carved.
Yet I feel what I am viewing of your litho it looks well done.

If you ever need any help or a question please feel free
to PM or email me.
o me
Good Litho !!!!

You don't know how much I appreciate the offer you have made to me, and I may surely take you up on it :D.

Thank you.

rcdages
05-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Any any time Nathan.