PDA

View Full Version : Centerline too deep

Wood Art 1
05-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Just got this piece out of the CW. The "t" was the first character of the text to carve. Centerline Text, C machine, 60 deg V bit. What did I do that caused this to be so deep?

fwharris
05-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Jerry,

Guessing your talking about the T, last letter in managemenT?? Hard to say why it was the only one carving that deep. Possible bit slip in chuck and it got pushed up for the rest of the letters. This is a WAG for sure...

bergerud
05-08-2015, 09:15 PM
That seems very strange. Must just be a corrupt software thing. Easy to test since it was the first letter. Reformat, reload and try it on a piece of scrap.

Wood Art 1
05-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Floyd, I have only one comment - "STUPID OPERATOR". Didn't suspect a loose bit, because the whole rest of the text was dead on. Just went down to check bit - could pull it out with my fingers. I will load a new piece of oak and start over - with a tight bit.
Thanks for your counsel and patience.
Jerry

bergerud
05-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Good call Floyd!

fwharris
05-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Floyd, I have only one comment - "STUPID OPERATOR". Didn't suspect a loose bit, because the whole rest of the text was dead on. Just went down to check bit - could pull it out with my fingers. I will load a new piece of oak and start over - with a tight bit.
Thanks for your counsel and patience.
Jerry

Well I truly did not think my WAG was the cause. Lets just hope it was..

Wood Art 1
05-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Thanks to the Professionals. Just between us, I will reformat, and reload also, just to be on the safe side. Don't need to waste any more wood and machine time. This is one of those cases where I got a bruise on the palm of my hand from smacking myself on the forehead.
Jerry

fwharris
05-08-2015, 10:08 PM
We carve and learn every day. You are still using the QC and the slipping bit was some what of a common thing. Put some blues loctite on the set screws to insure they do not vibrate loose.