PDA

View Full Version : Ok...getting ready to fly (litho carving).

NLAlston
05-08-2015, 09:33 AM
This morning, I completed my sled for litho carving, and fared a great deal better with its construction than previously. This time, I turned aside from the 1/4" plywood layering - atop the 1/2" MDF bed, and made the header, footer and rails out of the same 1/2" MDF. For the recessed area I DID use an 8"x10" section of plywood which would allow my Corian piece to sit flush with the top of the sled. Now, I am about to get into my FIRST lithophane :D.

I am assuming that the litho is carved on the glossy side of the material. It may sound like a stupid concern but, hey - if you don't know, you just don't know. As already mentioned, I have NEVER done one before, and can't afford to be screwing things up. I am so anxious to get a handle on this matter, because I wish to do a very nice project for my earthen angel (wifey) for Mother's day. I will probably get started before anyone comes back to me, but I am almost with an absolute certainty that the glossy side of the Corian IS the side to be carved.

With back-lighting being a prominent factor in the presentational aspect of the carved elements, I am without knowledge as to how the differing sides might play into the equation.

fwharris
05-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Correct, go ahead and carve on the gloss side.

NLAlston
05-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Correct, go ahead and carve on the gloss side.

As always, a very hefty thanks to you, my friend.

fwharris
05-08-2015, 11:47 AM
As always, a very hefty thanks to you, my friend.

Your very welcome and HAPPY CARVING!