PDA

View Full Version : Info on lighted Cast Acrylic work, please.

NLAlston
05-01-2015, 10:35 PM
I am going to do my level best to make this the last of my questions, presented to the forum - at least for a while, anyway :).

Earlier in the day I visited Rockler Woodworking, to pick up some stuff. While there, I wound up in conversation with one of the salesman, regarding CNC projects. He went on to speak about someone he knew who was doing real well for himself, making and selling lighted Cast Acrylic signs, and such. I fell into very deep interest after seeing some of the work his friend had done. It was absolutely amazing. Attached, is an example of something along the lines of what I am leading to. I have, since, been trying to find some tutorial information on the steps involved in doing this type of work. If anyone, here, knows of where I can locate such information, please share it with me.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan

fwharris
05-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Here is one write up on it. They used a laser for cutting the image but is does discuss the lighting set up.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Edge-Lit-Acrylic-Sign/#step1

NLAlston
05-02-2015, 12:42 AM
Here is one write up on it. They used a laser for cutting the image but is does discuss the lighting set up.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Edge-Lit-Acrylic-Sign/#step1

Thanks a heap.

I kinda had that "Oh No" feeling, initially, when you mentioned the laser engraver - and also as I began to read the instructable. There, too, was the mention of lasers, as well as sandblasters. But I began to perk up, again, when I arrived at the mention of a CNC. I am definitely going to try my hand at doing this, and will do so just as soon as I have gotten my feet wet with some lithophanes.

Thanks again.

fwharris
05-02-2015, 10:42 AM
It was the first one I came to and sure there are other "how to" out there. Laser vs CNC, same principle different machine.

NLAlston
05-02-2015, 11:39 AM
It was the first one I came to and sure there are other "how to" out there. Laser vs CNC, same principle different machine.

Np. What you provided yielded quite a bit of information to me, and I am highly appreciative.

gwhiz
05-04-2015, 02:20 PM
I've done a little work with edge lit acrylic signs. Some examples are below. You need to remember that you're carving from the back and flip your design accordingly so that it's got the correct orientation when you view it from the front. The biggest issue is the potential for braking bits. Even with cast acrylic, if you take too deep a cut when cutting out a shape you'll melt the acrylic to the bit and it will break off. The user manual recommends a .10" max cut, if I recall. I haven't had an issue with carving, but I've broken a couple of bit cutting out shapes (I'm a slow learner!).

If you want a clear sign, it's a good idea to shim the acrylic with a couple of playing cards when the machine is finding the thickness. Otherwise you'll run the risk of dragging the bit across the acrylic and you'll have a cloudy area (like the moon in the Justin sign.

As for lighting, these are all lit with a strip of LED's in the base.

Most of all--have fun!

Canemaker
09-05-2015, 05:05 PM
What do yu mean when you said to shim the acrylic , whre are you putting the cards?

DianMayfield
09-06-2015, 04:49 PM
I believe he means when the bit is finding the surface of the acrylic, place playing cards under where the bit will touch. This will have the bits starting just above the surface. You can jog to touch during the finding surface prompts.

bergerud
09-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Even with cast acrylic, if you take too deep a cut when cutting out a shape you'll melt the acrylic to the bit and it will break off.

I have never had cast acrylic melt. I have carved it over an inch deep.

farmer
09-08-2015, 04:56 PM
George what thickness is that?