PDA

View Full Version : Bit finder flapper not moving out far enough

wacoustics
03-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I originally thought that this might be a problem with the 1.120 software since that's when I first noticed an issue, but seems that it is more related to hardware so I've started a new thread to avoid further confusion.

I'm having trouble with the bit flapper sometimes and it seems worse after the 1.120 firmware upgrade. I have attached a few pictures to aid with the visual of what's going on.

When initially setting up, the truck will move over and extend the bit flapper. Problem is that when this first flips out it isn't far enough and the bit will miss it all together. Then it will flip it over just a little more and barely touch the rounded portion of the flapper. You can actually see where the 1/16" carving bit even scraped the flapper when it first missed it (due to the tapered end). For some reason I thought that prior to 1.120 (a 1.115 version) it was contacting the center of the flapper; however even when rolling back it doesn't so I'm not sure at this point if there was a permanent change or I have a bad memory.

After much fiddling and reading on other forum threads, I found that none of the usual pieces in the way were the issue. The reason it appears to be stopping where it does is that the Y-truck hits against a tab at the end of the gear. Interestingly, it seems that if the screw is loosened that the tab can be moved slightly further over, potentially solving the problem.

So two questions:

1) Where is the bit supposed to make contact with the flapper? Is it on the very edge of the rounded part or is it more in the center? If someone else can explain what's "normal" I think that will help.

2) If this isn't working correctly, what are the implications of moving the screw and sliding the tab further over? Is the machine specifically calibrated for this adjustment or is it arbitrary? If I move it over the Y-truck should be able to contact the notch in the tab and thus push it further under the bit.

Thanks in advance for help on this.

HandTurnedMaple
03-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Most of the time mine just touches the edge of the swing arm too. Sometimes it misses and has to try again. If the screw isn't loose, or has never been loose making this adjustment should be your last resort. If you pull the belt too tight it strains the head motor (I've done it).

I believe this is simply part of the homing procedure, and not a measurement step like touching the Sliding Guide Plate and the top of the board is. As long as it touches some part of the swing arm it will be ok (has been for me). I think the only time mine went exact center of the arm was the first time it ran out of the box.

wacoustics
03-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for sharing how yours works!

Should I be worried about the scratching that it did at all? Seems to be running a little better now after the initial run that scratched things. If it's not used for any actual measurement though that definately makes me feel better.

Cliff
03-08-2007, 07:25 PM
The screw is for the 'Y' belt tension, no harm in adding a little tension. The paddle may just need a little cleaning an lube, there are various threads on the bit paddle scattered through out the forum.

Cliff
03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
The same problem was identified on the AllCW forum with the corrective action assisted by CW Tech Support.

Section: The Machine
Subject: My First Problem
Poster: Don Fields

The correction delt with the 'Y' Belt tension adjustment.

jimmars
03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
I had a similar problem months ago and talked to CW about it. The bit needs to touch the Bit Touch Plate (AKA flapper ... paddle) on the flat, not the rounded part.
In my case it looked like the truck was not moving far enough to the right, but in reality the Bit Touch Plate was getting hung up and would not deploy all the way out. What was hanging the Bit Touch Plate up was a very little burr where the truck hits the Bit Touch Plate. It was very hard to see, but you could easily feel it. All I had to do was file off the burr and round the edge of the Bit Touch Plate a little.
Also read the Bit Touch Plate adjustment Sticky in the Troubleshooting section.

Kurtsara
03-09-2007, 05:04 AM
In my case it looked like the truck was not moving far enough to the right, but in reality the Bit Touch Plate was getting hung up and would not deploy all the way out. What was hanging the Bit Touch Plate up was a very little burr where the truck hits the Bit Touch Plate. It was very hard to see, but you could easily feel it. All I had to do was file off the burr and round the edge of the Bit Touch Plate a little.
A

Same as mine

wacoustics
03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
The same problem was identified on the AllCW forum with the corrective action assisted by CW Tech Support.

Section: The Machine
Subject: My First Problem
Poster: Don Fields

The correction delt with the 'Y' Belt tension adjustment.

I've searched and can't seem to find this post. Can you paste in the link to your reference? Thanks!

wacoustics
03-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, after a little more fiddling and reaching around stuff, I think I've figured out what was going on. Seems that after several hours of use that the wire harness on the left side had vibrated until it went and followed the top. There is a large metal "box" on the back of the Y-Truck that sticks out and was hitting the wire harness, preventing it from moving all the way over. When I pulled the wire harness forward some so that it made an "S-shape" instead of following across the top, it cleared the box and the flapper works right again.

So basically the wire harness was preventing proper movement of the head and not allowing it to hit the flapper to fully extend it. This is a simple fix at least. Coincidence that it happened the same time I upgraded to 1.120.

Would be a good design change to have something hold this wire harness in place. In the mean time I think I'll either tape it or hot-glue it in place. After moving the harness the bit not touches at least 1/3 of the way to the center of the flapper.

Thanks for you help everyone. Hope this helps potentially solve some other's problems too.

Skyhawk
03-10-2007, 08:36 AM
In the bit flapper adjustment PDF there is mention of a plastic bushing that holds the wire harness in place...which pops out of position every time that you remove the cover...I agree that a little hot glue is a great idea, but you may want to check this notice:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2073&page=2

-Jim

forqnc
04-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Just had the problem of the swing arm not coming out at all. It moves freely with my finger but would not move out when the machine instructed. Clean and blew area with air, then sprayed some silicon spray on, wiped up the excess and viola, it's now finishing my project. :D

RBeau1954
04-08-2007, 12:29 PM
The same thing happened to me, I took the machine apart to clean everything and look at the insides, when I took the sides off, then the top, I noticed the little thing that holds the motor wires. It needs to be slide down on the side part that does not come off and the cover slips over it. I didn't realize it had moved and when I put it back together the first time I ran it the flapper didn't come off. Now before I take anything apart on it I take a few pics so I can remember where everything goes.

rjustice
04-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Another cause that i had happen to me was after cutting MDF, i had dust get inside the track of the "Y" axis belt, and kept it from being able to move to the extent of the travel. After cleaning it out well it works perfect.

Ron

liquidguitars
04-08-2007, 04:23 PM
One thing that can help this prob:

Turn the power off/remove bits keep cover on. Move the truck manually to the right to engage the arm, “is it moving the bit cam?” look for anything blocking access to the cam including the flexible shaft.

Check to see if your flex shaft is hitting the plastic cut out on the top cover as it seeks the index arm. The slack of the flexshaft and wires needs to be tight in the housing in the back after replacing the cover from a repair.

http://www.liquidguitars.com/flapperR001.jpg
Lig

Sarge
04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I just had the same issue this morning. After several malfunctions, I re-cleaned and no help. After a few more tries, I manually swung it out and let it flip back. This seemed to loosen some sawdust hidden around the spring. It worked just fine next try.

pamjmayo
04-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Since you all are so mechanical, you can do all of the remedies. I can barely use a ruler, so when it happened to me I did the only thing I know. I put a little oil on the flapper and Voila. Problem fixed.

Jeff_Birt
04-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Oil while the right idea is not the best lubricant to use. It will attract the sawdust and make paste. Get yourself some bicycle chain wax or ski wax or the like. When you put them on they dry to a wax like consistancy that will not attract the sawdust.

Bubba
04-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Had same issues with the flapper not opening wide enough,
found some saw dust stuck to the metal rollers on the truck, removed plastic protectors, cleaned rollers and now is flap happy again.
Evidently the software only allows so much time for the truck to reach the end position to hold the flapper open. The sawdust on the rollers prevented the truck from getting there in time.