PDA

View Full Version : Convert Raster to Vector

Capt Bruce
04-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Has anyone used 3rd party programs like VectorTracer or Vector Magic to convert raster images to vector lines . I see a variety advertised but have not found one that makes usable outline traces such as converting large letters to vector outlines. I'd appreciate and comments or recommendations based upon your experiences. Thanks in advance.

Follow-up: You pointed me to the correct path and I appreciate that. By assigning a black outline color, and no fill color it then works like a charm for the Contour step from Center using a step distance of slightly less than the 3/16" diameter cutting bit. Thanks again.

zan29
04-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Capt. Bruce, you may want to try http://www.autotracer.org/

SteveNelson46
04-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Has anyone used 3rd party programs like VectorTracer or Vector Magic to convert raster images to vector lines . I see a variety advertised but have not found one that makes usable outline traces such as converting large letters to vector outlines. I'd appreciate and comments or recommendations based upon your experiences. Thanks in advance.

Capt,

If you are only looking for converting text to vector outlines just about all vector based programs will do it (Corel Draw, Aspire, Adobe Illustrator, etc.). I did this one in Corel Draw.

Capt Bruce
04-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Thank you Zan29 and Steve,

Sue, I'll take a look at AUTOTRACER,

Steve, my range would go from raster illustrations to text and simple shapes. In my current project the intention was to create large (6") Truetype letters and numerals in several different fonts. Then I was seeking to convert the letters into simple but accurate outline vector shapes so I could use the CorelDraw feature of EFFECTS / CONTOUR /CENTER to fill these shapes with parallel stepped lines for vector carving with a 3/16" bit.

After I created the full size letters and numbers in Corel I was unable to convert them into vector outlines for use with the Contour function. I may be missing something simple or really obvious and if you know the steps I'd appreciate you help. Thanks for your response.

DianMayfield
04-21-2015, 08:06 PM
Bruce, when I want to convert the text to curves (vector):
I make the text as big as I can
Convert to Bitmap
Trace, Logo - You can try the different types to see which effect gets the cleanest outline
Then I delete the bitmap and you are left with the outline - I am away from that computer this week, but you may have to convert to curves - but I think you are ready to go without it.

You can also export text to eps or dxf. You should be prompted to save as text or convert to curves- go ahead and convert. Then start a new document and import the file and if prompted about how to handle text, convert to curves. I sometimes have unexpected results, its just hit and miss :)

Mike58
04-21-2015, 11:35 PM
in Corel Draw the text will already be a vector. You type out the text you want. In object manager you will see it showing text. Objects have a outline and fill to them. So have the text selected, then right click on a color in your color palete. That will assign that color to the outline of the text. Left click a color will change the fill of it. As long as the text is showing as text in the object manager it can be edited as text. If you select the text and right click on the selection you can select to convert text to curves. If you do this the text can no longer be edited as text. But now you can do other things with/to it that you couldn't as text.
I don't think CD can save as STL file, but maybe wrong. To do what I think you are wanting you would create your text in CD and give it a fill color (black?) have the text selected and do file - export - to web. This will allow you to save the text as a png file or some other types it will allow. Then you get a window where you can change the dpi and size and then "save as" where you will name this file. Then you can import this file into Designer to use.

Capt Bruce
04-22-2015, 06:10 AM
Thank you DianMayfield and Mike58,

I keep on learning something new every day and there is a great deal for me to learn still in CD. I think you have also helped put me on the right path. Off to experiment.