PDA

View Full Version : Chatter about coins from Pattern Sharing sticky

edzbaker
03-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Michael, I would like to see several coin ptn files posted. The Indian head penny carved Very Well, using .750 Red cedar and carving at .250 depth on both sides, then doing a cutout.
My wife says now she wants a SET (??) of them to use as coasters, under drinks.
Thanks again.

The new state quarters would be a big project, if anyone did them all, but maby someone will tackle that in the future.

mtylerfl
03-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Michael, I would like to see several coin ptn files posted. The Indian head penny carved Very Well, using .750 Red cedar and carving at .250 depth on both sides, then doing a cutout.
My wife says now she wants a SET (??) of them to use as coasters, under drinks.
Thanks again.

The new state quarters would be a big project, if anyone did them all, but maby someone will tackle that in the future.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback on the penny carving. Do you have pics you could post? Also, how big did you carve the penny?

I don't know if a scan of "real" quarters would yield good enough detail for carving - I'll need to try that.

The "coins" I have to scan are metal reproductions that are oversized, and measure about 3" in diameter. I have 5 additional "coins" that I can scan to make patterns from. I'll see about getting the rest of them done. That's a great idea to use them as coasters!

edzbaker
03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Michael;
Here are the photo's of the penny I carved from Red Cedar. The front and back of the coin look Very Good. It is SIX inches across. Perfect for a coaster, so my wife says. Now she wants more !
Thanks again for posting the PTN's
Ed

mtylerfl
03-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Very nice job, Ed. Thanks for the photos. Love the finish you did, too!

I'll create/post more coin patterns as time permits.

mtylerfl
03-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Ed,

I posted 5-cent piece patterns (front and back) at the Sharing Depot.

mtylerfl
03-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Posted more coin patterns - a 20 Dollar Goldpiece and a Standing Liberty Quarter in the Sharing Depot.

mtylerfl
03-10-2007, 08:19 PM
New - I posted another couple of coin patterns in the Sharing Depot for anyone interested.

Walking Liberty 20-dollar piece and a Flying Eagle Penny

That makes a total of six coins / 12 patterns (front and back of each)

1) Indian Head Penny
2) 5-Cent Piece
3) 20-Dollar Goldpiece
4) Standing Liberty Quarter
5) Walking Liberty 20-Dollar Goldpiece
6) Flying Eagle Penny

Gman_Ind
03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Has anyone tried using a pantograph arm with a router to enlarge a small coin twice size before scanning? can the probe scan a small coin?