PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a orphaned Carve Machine? I was.

Digitalwoodshop
03-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Looking to buy a orphaned CompuCarve unit? I have been. I even bid on some of the units on eBay. I wanted a backup unit for the business, knowing that I will eventually have a failure of some sort stopping production.

A opportunity presented itself in the form of our friend the FdxGuy on the forum. He is in the unique position to be 1. A Carve User and 2. He has access to Orphaned units.

I just purchased a unit from him sight unseen and felt very comfortable purchasing it as he did a once over and ran the machine through basic function. His knowledge as a USER puts him in a position of pre screening the units giving me a comfort level to purchase the unit that I would never have on eBay with other sellers.

Plus we all know how eBay really hits you hard as a seller with it's fees and discourages direct contact. This forum makes it possible to obtain information on orphaned units from a reliable source.

I for one, would like to see a additional Thread added to this forum called "For SALE" just like Shop Bot has. I don't think it has hurt the company.

If you are thinking about a second unit, I recommend contacting FdxGuy.

AL

Jon Jantz
03-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I've heard some reports from that part of the country of customers not receiving their units back via FedEx after being shipped off for service....

FdxGuy has used machines for sale....

Hmmmmmmm...........

((((JUST KIDDING, IT'S A JOKE, NO TRUTH IN THIS)))) ;-)

FdxGuy
03-09-2007, 12:51 AM
A "For Sale" area would be providing the community gathered here with a service. Good for the community and good for Compucarve.

Just think of the wide array of common interests collected here and the different goods these folks might like to exchange. It's a no brainer.

Looking to buy a orphaned CompuCarve unit? I have been. I even bid on some of the units on eBay. I wanted a backup unit for the business, knowing that I will eventually have a failure of some sort stopping production.

A opportunity presented itself in the form of our friend the FdxGuy on the forum. He is in the unique position to be 1. A Carve User and 2. He has access to Orphaned units.

I just purchased a unit from him sight unseen and felt very comfortable purchasing it as he did a once over and ran the machine through basic function. His knowledge as a USER puts him in a position of pre screening the units giving me a comfort level to purchase the unit that I would never have on eBay with other sellers.

Plus we all know how eBay really hits you hard as a seller with it's fees and discourages direct contact. This forum makes it possible to obtain information on orphaned units from a reliable source.

I for one, would like to see a additional Thread added to this forum called "For SALE" just like Shop Bot has. I don't think it has hurt the company.

If you are thinking about a second unit, I recommend contacting FdxGuy.

AL

FdxGuy
03-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Now that is a method I had not considered! It would certainally help my profit margin. I took it in the butt on the last 2 I sold on Ebay. I'm done with that silliness.

I'll take that Jab....

(But I want my money back for the tutorial I bought, round my house it costs $10 to take a swing at someone ;-)

I've heard some reports from that part of the country of customers not receiving their units back via FedEx after being shipped off for service....

Hmmmmmmm...........

Jon Jantz
03-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Now that is a method I had not considered! It would certainally help my profit margin. I took it in the butt on the last 2 I sold on Ebay. I'm done with that silliness.

I'll take that Jab....

(But I want my money back for the tutorial I bought, round my house it costs $10 to take a swing at someone ;-)

Hehe... that's pretty cheap. I'll remember that next time I need to take some frustration out.... ;-)

Hey, I'll add a For Sale section, so feel free to list them over at my forum if you like...

Later, Jon

Julie Coffey
03-09-2007, 02:20 AM

Hmmmmmmm...........

You know I really should NOT be drinking anything when I go to read these boards. Too funny by half :)

J

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Jon,

I never thought of a FOR SALE section on your board, but that is a great idea.

Thanks !!!!

AL

SpiffyDog
03-09-2007, 08:13 AM

Hmmmmmmm...........

((((JUST KIDDING, IT'S A JOKE, NO TRUTH IN THIS))))

I was thinking the same thing until I realized that they ship via DHL. Hmmm? *thinking maybe FdxGuy is a decoy name*

pkunk
03-09-2007, 09:33 AM
I was thinking the same thing until I realized that they ship via DHL. Hmmm? *thinking maybe FdxGuy is a decoy name*
DHL is just Fedex ground slowboat.:)

SpiffyDog
03-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Your not saying that DHL and FedEx are the same company, are you? Or are you just implying that DHL is ground only?

pkunk
03-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure of the corporate setup, but DHL is/was Fedex ground. I get a Fedex shipping notice from CW and the tracking # is DHL. Maybe it's just my locale.?? There is Fedex express that delivers here as well as Fedex Air priority.

HandTurnedMaple
03-09-2007, 12:08 PM
DHL is its own company (purchased from Americans in 2002 by a German-based company). Over the last couple of years, shipping companies have begun working together in a strange way. Often one company with pick-up the package, then transfer to another company. Or the sender will pay one company to ship, but because they have no other business at the origin or destination, they farm it out.

One package I ordered from Amazon was labelled for FedEX, picked-up at the Reno warehouse by DHL, then dropped off at a Boise Post Office so that USPS ended up delivering it the last 30 miles. Funny thing though. In the 3 days it took to get from the Boise post office to my mailbox, DHL made a delivery to my door from Dell.

FdxGuy
03-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Hehe... that's pretty cheap. I'll remember that next time I need to take some frustration out....

Hey, I'll add a For Sale section, so feel free to list them over at my forum if you like...

Later, Jon

If you promise not to censor my posts I will move over there.

Hey, I just had a thought..... Is The Bard on your forum???????????? Did he leave here for there?

FdxGuy
03-09-2007, 08:45 PM
DHL is its own company (purchased from Americans in 2002 by a German-based company). Over the last couple of years, shipping companies have begun working together in a strange way. Often one company with pick-up the package, then transfer to another company. Or the sender will pay one company to ship, but because they have no other business at the origin or destination, they farm it out.

One package I ordered from Amazon was labelled for FedEX, picked-up at the Reno warehouse by DHL, then dropped off at a Boise Post Office so that USPS ended up delivering it the last 30 miles. Funny thing though. In the 3 days it took to get from the Boise post office to my mailbox, DHL made a delivery to my door from Dell.

I cannot begin to address all of this without going into a huge amount of history about the transportation industry that no_one wants to hear.... so skipping most of that ------ :D

I can assure you of a couple things, a DHL package never enters a FedEx chain nor does a FedEx package ever enter a DHL chain. The only exception being a couple third world countries where we both use the same TPP to actually deliver the package. Unless you live in another part of the world (not a different world) your packages are not crossing carriers.

DHL was Airbourne.... Emery as well.... all of that purchased by Deutch Post, yes, the German post office owns DHL lock stock and barrel! Go figure.... my company has to compete against the German government! The good thing is that they basically suck at getting their contractors to deliver in the us.

Thats enough for now. But I would like to add that FedEx, UPS and DHL all have arrangements to use the USPS to deliver the last mile. To add a twist, FedEx owns the contract to carry all of the post office's priority mail via air and a large share of it's 1st class during the day sort.

I'm not going to go any deeper than that. If anyone wants to discuss supply chain management at length, I would be happy to do so.

While I didn't think I would have much to add to a wood working forum, it turns out that stuff still needs to be shipped, and in a global world, that is what we do.

However, when you consider all the factors, it's an amazingly complex thing. I spend entire weeks optimizing the transport service for packages from all over the world to find the most effective method to get them to your door! We label FedEx ground shipments in China, put them on a ship, open the container and put them on a truck to your door. you never knew that an individual package came from China and never stopped moving until it got to your door... did you?

So how is it that a Mod for the forum happens to be in the UK???? We can get him shipments easy.... :confused:

FdxGuy
03-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Your not saying that DHL and FedEx are the same company, are you? Or are you just implying that DHL is ground only?

DHL buys contract space on airlines.

FdxGuy
03-09-2007, 08:49 PM
You know I really should NOT be drinking anything when I go to read these boards. Too funny by half

J

Amen Sister!!!!!!!!!!!
:p :D :cool: :cool:

Jeff_Birt
03-09-2007, 10:46 PM
So how is it that a Mod for the forum happens to be in the UK???? We can get him shipments easy.... :confused:

Bill, as I understand it the problem is not shipping a machine to the UK, it's the EU regulations on such equipemnt and of course the whole issue with 110V/60 hZ - 220V/50hZ.

FdxGuy
03-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Bill, as I understand it the problem is not shipping a machine to the UK, it's the EU regulations on such equipemnt and of course the whole issue with 110V/60 hZ - 220V/50hZ.

I don't want to and can't really get into the reasons why GreyBreard cannot get a Compucarve. The voltage is not an issue. There are many ways to solve that.

However, there are many other issues with compression, encryption, (even basic math...), that are regulated. That is a big issue. Is the designer software aproved for export? Nope. Not a bit of it. (which, IMHO is stupid)

But really, there are solutions to every problem.

FdxGuy
03-09-2007, 11:14 PM

Sorry, this forum seems to be changing my smile faces into different ones than the ones I picked. why is that??

Jeff_Birt
03-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I hadn't noticed that the smilies get changed...here is a test of all of them in order..

:mad: :p ;) :D

let's see if they stay the same, well no they were in the preview and it seems there is 4 images limit per post so only the first 4 are shown which don't match what I inserted. I'll bring this up to the site admin...thanks for pointing that out Bill.

FdxGuy
03-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I hadn't noticed that the smilies get changed...here is a test of all of them in order..

:mad: :p ;) :D

let's see if they stay the same, well no they were in the preview and it seems there is 4 images limit per post so only the first 4 are shown which don't match what I inserted. I'll bring this up to the site admin...thanks for pointing that out Bill.

Pretty weird eh?

Gman_Ind
03-18-2007, 07:38 PM
We all depend on shipping at some point.
This forum software (vbulliten) has alot more features available in it, like customizable personal smilies, you can choose from about 100 and have afew as your own favorites, it is possible to embed youtube video in the post as well.
There is a huge job administrating a forum like this.
A suggestion box area would be nice and a buy/sell trade would grow this place as well. IMHO
A place just to share scam info and non carved woodworking would be good as well ?? I have a new cabinet I am proud to show off but no carved pieces are on it!