PDA

View Full Version : Feeler/Sanity Check - Squaring plate

PSQRD
04-15-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm not 100% sure and can't find a really clear photo detailing what I'm trying to clarify. I have a C model machine, I did a board thickness measurement yesterday and noticed that the thickness was a little high - around .9 for a 3/4" board. I took a look at the squaring plate where the little button is and noticed I could see the shiny metal spring. Maybe my thinking's off but I don't remember seeing that before like maybe there was a plate on top of it for the bit to touch down to? I've read on other threads that a dime was used on the keypad side if a hole was drilled through on older models, would the same apply here on the sliding plate side? Thanks in advance.
Paul

bergerud
04-15-2015, 08:39 PM
There is only one touch spot at the sliding plate and it is on top of it. There is a hole with a horizontal spring at the bottom and the bit does drop into it before moving over and touching on the top of the plate. Sounds to me like all is normal with your machine.

(By the way, the squaring plate is the fixed one on the keypad side.)

PSQRD
04-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Alright awesome, thanks. I needed the reassurance and the terminology spin up. So long as these "loaner" x drive gears don't do me wrong a motivated board carrier attempt will be on the way. Used your 5/8 mpc and adjusted with carve regions @ .125 to make the end result of my 3/4 mdf = 5/8 thickness - at least I hope. Thank you

bergerud
04-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Do you mean you are going to carve off 1/8". If that is what you are saying, don't bother. 3/4" is ok. It will be close to get the 14" you want. Just go with the 3/4" and see how it works. (One can always undercut the squaring plate side a little on the table saw and pick up some extra width.)