PDA

View Full Version : The Third Variable

Don1
04-13-2015, 11:42 AM
This post will be a bit long. The ignorance of the third variable cost me over $600 needlessly and others might learn from my multiple mistakes.

Before starting, getting my machine a few years ago and not being informed of this. I DID NOT KEEP THE ORIGINAL SHIPPING BOX . That cost me $200 + to have my local UPS build one from materials purchased at Home Depot and ship it in addition to the $100 that CarveWright charged me to send the machine back in one of their boxes plus shipping.

The machine apparently had none of the problems that I reported when they got it.
1. When carving text some of the letters didn’t carve, I just got a huge divot (cone).
2. Constant power fluctuation messages. (ended sending up both the power (supply) pack and C.P.U. (controller) in for testing beforehand. They both tested fine.
3. Y axis stall problems.

After buying the machine, I had dust problems so bought a Ringneck dust collection system, after being told how to install it I did so. It worked fine but I noticed that I was having problems with the bit stopping and being dragged through the wood thus breaking it. To solve this problem I disconnected the right micro switch under the cover thinking that it had dust in the inner workings. This fixed the problem and I carved for a couple of years with no problems. As usual when under a deadline (problems ALWAYS arise then), I ran into the problems mentioned above.

In talking with Israel, after getting the machine back with the same problems, I got my first clue as to what the problem was. He said to push hard on the plastic cover when it was running. That night it dawned on me…

THE THIRD VARIABLE.

When I cut out a portion of the plastic shield to accommodate the Ringneck dust collection system, the plastic cover came down BUT DID NOT TOUCH THE MACHINE. This means that when disconnecting the right (cut motor) switch, it fixed the problem as the left one barely clicked closed. But when the left one finally ran into the same problems, I got the above errors.

When I sent the machine back to CarveWright, it did not have the Ringneck hood on, thus everything worked fine.

The plastic was about 1/8” off of the machine but that’s all it took. After taking the clear plastic cover off and cutting enough off of the top of the insert so that it would clear the hood by about 1/16th of an inch thus having the bottom touch the machine all is fine. Apparently the vibrations were causing the microswitch to send multiple signals to the various parts of the machine, thus causing the problems mentioned above.

I immediately did a 3 hour carving with no problems.

Time will tell.

Mike58
04-13-2015, 12:01 PM
When I cut out the cover for my RN DC - I did what it seems many do - I didn't read the INSTRUCTIONS FULLY. I did read them about cutting out the cover, but I didn't hook the DC lip over the bottom edge of the machine. I marked and cut the cover out to just barely clear the top of the DC. Cover closed perfectly. I have to move my machine outside to carve with it, and as such am installing and removing the RN DC from the machine every time I use it. I saw were someone else posted about hooking the RN DC needing to be installed by hooking the lip - and then I started doing mine that way. But now the RN DC housing is tilled up more than before and the cover is resting on the top of it which was causing the cover to be lifted away at the bottom I think just like you are talking about. The next time I tried carving I too had problems, but with please close the cover. I realized the cover was now not fully down and had to cut about an 1/8 more across the top of the DC metal housing to let the cover sit down fully again.

Appreciate you sharing, sort of prompted me to tell on myself too ;) After cutting my cover the second time - no more issues in several carving sessions over several hours each.

Sometimes we are our greatest enemies I think. And often enough when we haven't told our story to the world, we can save face and pretend is was something else that was causing the problem. Here we can laugh together instead of at each other.

fwharris
04-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback on this issue. Question for you (and any others), is there something I need to make clearer in the instructions to maybe help out future customers?

Don1
04-13-2015, 01:31 PM
I wish that I had a message saying 'Please close cover" as it would have directed my troubleshooting efforts to that area. In my case the vibrations were enough to open and close the micro switch intermittently during the carving, causing IMHO, the problems. For a simple solution I would put in bolded underlined print. "Be sure that the plastic of the dust cover HAS A CLEARANCE OF 1/8'' ON ALL SIDES where it is cut out for the Ringneck dust collector." If you feel that 1/16th would be fine, I'm sure that would be fine also.

I also had the hook problem and figured that something was wrong, I figured out what the problem was and fixed it. Maybe an addition to the instructions. "When all is in place and before inserting screws, pull up on Ringneck the dust collector, if it comes up, it is not seated properly.

All the Best.

Don1

Mike58
04-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback on this issue. Question for you (and any others), is there something I need to make clearer in the instructions to maybe help out future customers?

Floyd I think the instructions are clear enough. We just need to read them thoroughly and we'd be ok. You know how us guys are......

Here is a cut-n-paste of the Installation Procedure:

Installation Procedure

Install the insert into the CW, insure the lip on the front of the insert slides over the bottom rail of the frame above the compression roller. Pull back and lower the insert to insure it is in place. Install and tighten the TWO 4 MM screws to hold the insert in place. To check for proper installation, lightly lift up on the insert to make sure it does not move. With the power off on the CW/CC move the Z-Truck back and forth and raise/lower the cutting head to insure it does not come in contact with the front of the insert.

Red text highlighted by me. How much plainer can you say it? My issue was caused by thinking all I needed to read was how to go about cutting the cover. It seemed simple enough to install the DC with the 2 bolts and washers. I noticed after I did install mine that it had more movement than I liked. It seemed to me to have more pressure on the two brackets and small bolts than it needed. I have the metal flex pipe connected to my HF DC motor and the pipe seemed to pull down on the DC insert. After someone on the forum here stated about needing to hook the DC lip over the machine I went back and looked at mine, Yea, that's all it needed. Now it sits firmly in place and doesn't move or vibrate when the machine is carving.

I'm a fairly intelligent guy and have a good mechanical ability. My mistake was over simplifying things and not reading your instructions fully. I saw the lip on the insert, but thought that was apart of strengthening the bottom edge and never considered it was also for mounting purposes.

As I've said here before. The produce is excellent. The instructions are clear and understandable easy enough - if they are fully read.

Boys will be boys ;) My issues were my fault not your.

Don1
04-13-2015, 04:48 PM
I haven't read the installation instructions since I got everything working 2 1/2 years ago. If that's what it looked like then, than the mistake was mine. I thought it was hooked when it wasn't. Nothing else that you could have done re the instructions and the seating of the unit.

TerryT
04-13-2015, 07:31 PM
I have three RNB DC inserts. I think they should be standard issue with all new CW machines. I need two more Floyd, ah... as soon as Kathy lets me spend some bucks on something other than the new house. If your vac filter or bag (on a larger DC) is dirty or plugged you will get reduced air flow. This will cause reduced quality of the carve. So, keep your DC filter and bags clean to get the most out of ANY type of insert.