PDA

View Full Version : Z truck spindle bearings?

dpowli
03-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Had my first real problem with the CW tonight. After about 2 hours into a 3 hour project I could here the cut motor speed varying in the basement shop. Ran downstairs and when I got there I shut it down and checked the flex cable as the machine has 21 hours on it, Cable was only "normally" warm, but the Z spindle was very hot, especially the top section. Turned spindle by hand and everything felt OK. Restarted... cut motor was running abnormally slow for 2 or 3 passes and then a virbrating type noise started. Aborted project and pulled flex shaft. Cable still seems well lubed. The Z spindle bearings sound and feel less smooth than I would expect for high speed bearings. Do you guys think I've lost the Z bearings or am I barking up the wrong tree. Thanks in advance.

pkunk
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Could very well be. I'd call CW in the AM and have them diagnose it and you'll probably be sent a new head.

Ron Baird
03-07-2007, 08:16 PM
There are several threads on head bearings. If the flexcable has too much lubrication on it it can leak into the upper head bearing and contaminate the bearing lub causing the bearing to overheat and wear out. Take the flex cable socket off the top of the head and see if there is alot of cable lub on the bearing, if there is you may have a problem.

dpowli
03-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I have never lubed the flexcable since getting CW. I did check the top of the head with a Q-tip and found very, very little lube there. Is it normal for the top of the head to get so hot? I guess I never really checked it before, just primarily the flexcable. I'll call CW in the AM. Have a good evening!

dpowli
03-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Just a quick note on my problem that may help others.
Talked with Chris at CW and he determined the cut motor speed sensor is bad by going into options and bringing up the sensor. He had me turn the flexshaft by hand which rotates the motor to see if the sensor was reading. It was not. I will return sensor to him and he will send out as soon as they arrive at CW.

SpiffyDog
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Mine did the same thing after only using it for 20 minutes. According to the CW techs, the flexshaft was most likely over lubricated in the factory which leaked into the spindle bearings causing deterioration. Sent mine in for repair and now waiting for its return, which should be this week. My only issue is that it's been away from home for over a month now and I'm afraid it won't recognize me.

HandTurnedMaple
03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
With a mug like that, how could it forget you?!?!?

SpiffyDog
03-09-2007, 07:51 AM
OK. Well, maybe it's not that I'm afraid it will forget me, but rather it doesn't want to come back.