PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.....PLEASE HELP!

Airborne
04-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Thinking about putting the software on my laptop, anyone have knowledge as to how efficient the software runs on a laptop, or any suggestions on using a laptop for running the software? Thank you!

zan29
04-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Airbone, it doesn't matter whether you use your software on a PC or laptop, it all depends on how much memory you have. If you don't have as much memory as your PC, than you software might run slower.

fwharris
04-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Designer works well on lap tops.

mtylerfl
04-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Thinking about putting the software on my laptop, anyone have knowledge as to how efficient the software runs on a laptop, or any suggestions on using a laptop for running the software? Thank you!

Depends on the laptop (or any computer for that matter). More RAM is better. Cheapie laptops ($300-ish) may not perform as well as a well-equipped system. I avoid motherboard-based video, and purchase laptops that are able to have a dedicated video card, but that's just me. I use laptops for demanding 3D modeling and they have a lot more horsepower than your typical laptop (actually, they are called portable workstations). Also, I travel and give presentations with my laptops, so they must be reliable performers. The two workstations I own are the Dell M6500 (older) and the newer Dell M6800.

Oh, one more thing...I avoid buying any computer with Windows 8.x on it. Dell allows me to specify Windows 7 professional. You will NOT be able to do that if purchasing off-the-shelf from Staples or something like that. I am waiting to see what Windows 10 will be like. Hopefully not anything like Windows 8!

Dale
04-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Like everyone else has said laptops work fine. I have found that using a mouse instead of the touch pad works much better.

Deolman
04-04-2015, 12:13 PM
My laptop is running windows 7. Speed is 2Ghz with 2Mb of memory. I use it as much as my other PC that has twice the memory and a greater speed as well as 64bit OS.

DonCP
04-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Like everyone has said, I use my laptop just fine. Windows 8, but buy the biggest screen you can afford. Even my desktop needs a bigger screen.

mtylerfl
04-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Like everyone has said, I use my laptop just fine. Windows 8, but buy the biggest screen you can afford. Even my desktop needs a bigger screen.

Yes, biggest screen. The other very unfortunate fact about the new laptop displays (and most desktops now) is the "stock" 16:9 screen ratio. You lose about 3/4" of screen real estate top-to-bottom if you have a 17" display, which is rather annoying to me.

My older Dell M6500 has the 16:10 ratio (which is perfect) and so do my desktop displays. Plenty of screen space. My new Dell M6800 did NOT have the 16:10 as an option and it is my only disappointment I've ever had with Dell. I did change my screen resolution to sort of "simulate" 16:10 to make me not feel like I was ducking under a low ceiling trying to get work done! It helps, but it's still not as comfortable or as nice as the 16:10 ratio.

Friends in the industry tell me 16:9 is here to stay and 16:10 is almost non-existent now for laptops...gamers and movie watchers seem to prefer that ratio for those applications.

DianMayfield
04-04-2015, 04:14 PM
I went for a laptop with a smaller screen and plugged in my monitor - most of the newer ones have a video port for that purpose. This way I can have a program like corel (or the forums :))on one and CW on the other screen.

seathis
04-04-2015, 06:32 PM
I do tons of design work every single day. AutoCAD to Designer. I agree with Michael. I would never buy Win 8. I am a desktop girl. I have the biggest screen I can possibly buy. Laptops are useless to me.