PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Hex Screw

chebytrk
04-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Anyone know the size of the Hex screw that goes in the chuck (secures the bit). It seems to be wearing out (my fault) and needs replacing. Also, would it be best to leave the bit in place when changing out the screw so as to keep everything lined up inside the chuck? Just wondering the best method... hopefully without having to take out the chuck and do it that way. Thanks............

RMarkey
04-02-2015, 10:00 AM
its a 5 x 20 mm using a 4mm hex wrench.

yes, leave the bit in place...makes life easier. don't forget the washer

smurfjeep
04-02-2015, 01:28 PM
I just had to replace my screw as well, my issue was the angle I have to access the chuck because of the machine location and the dust collection system hood, I have not hit the head of the screw with the allen wrench perfectly and over time I have rounded out the allen head. I will be more careful going forward. Leaving the bit in normally is not an option since I usually have to place and remove 2-3 bits (once for set up and once for carving) for each of my projects. No excuse for sloppy handling though.

Wood Art 1
04-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Was afraid my chuck hex screw was wearing out. Hard to get T-handle wrench lined up straight - dust collector hood on bottom and light strip above. Found round ball hex end on long handle - like a screwdriver. Life is now easier.

rickyz
04-29-2015, 09:23 PM
I too have worn out a few hex screws in the past....I am actually using an L-shaped allen wrench on it and works great....plus, I just seem to get a better feel and fit when tightening it down...

rickroy
04-30-2015, 03:33 PM
My hex screw is on the way out so THANKS to all who posted here. I will hit the hardware store and pick one up.

chkorte
04-30-2015, 06:30 PM
I needed to replace the allen head screw in my RC after about 5 years. I found one at Ace Hardware. I use an allen head screw driver bit glued into a socket on the end of a 15” extension with a ¼” ratchet.