PDA

View Full Version : Close Cover warning

Bill Kearns
03-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Well I guess my "honeymoon" is over. 18 projects (6 final and 12 practice) and my first problem arose out of the sawdust. The carving stopped and the "close cover" showed up, Did the routine of opening and closing the cover and pressed "enter". The truck started and went to carve and then came back up and the "close cover" showed again. Tried a few times and still shows the cover warning. Tried a piece of tape on the cover trigger and the same thing happened. I cleaned the machine and checked the forums for information, the cables are ok.

Any ideas out there to help me get back up and running?

Spuddzilla
03-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Well I guess my "honeymoon" is over. 18 projects (6 final and 12 practice) and my first problem arose out of the sawdust. The carving stopped and the "close cover" showed up, Did the routine of opening and closing the cover and pressed "enter". The truck started and went to carve and then came back up and the "close cover" showed again. Tried a few times and still shows the cover warning. Tried a piece of tape on the cover trigger and the same thing happened. I cleaned the machine and checked the forums for information, the cables are ok.

Any ideas out there to help me get back up and running?

Same thing happened to me today. After hitting enter it starts to carve for about 2 or 3 seconds then goes back to Close cover warning.

I did upgrade carvwright software to 1.120. Prior to today I have yet to have this error.

After reboot 0-7 shows cover sensor is closed.

Did you upgrade your software before your error Bill?

Bill Kearns
03-08-2007, 09:02 AM
My latest upgrade was to 1.19 which was (i think) supposed to do away with the door error message.

Haven't upgraded to 1.12, yet.
Trying to think of other things before I "operate" on the machine.

Thanks, Bill

HerbO
03-08-2007, 10:05 AM
I had this issue about a week ago before upgrading to 1.19. pushed both switches with a small screwdriver and could hear them click. I reached back in and pushed on the connections on the pc board on the left of the machine. I didn't want to pull the cover just yet but it would have given a better view of what I was pushing on. That fixed the close cover problem.

HerbO

Spuddzilla
03-08-2007, 02:15 PM
I did go back and install version 1.19, formatted the card and loaded another project and was able to recreate the Close cover error :confused:

When I abort out of the carve and go to 0-7 it still shows the cover switch is closed.

I removed the top cover, unplugged the cover sensor wire harness (which I had sealed last week) and reseated it, no changes.

BobHill
03-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Are you still having the trouble, Bill? Also, did you hit the button areas with some strong air psi?

Bob

Spuddzilla
03-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Bill,

FYI after talking with CW tech support a couple of times yesterday and verifing my cover door switch screws were tight and the wire harness in the back of the unit that the cover switch plugs into was secure they are having me return the machine to them for in house repair. Est time around 3 weeks, so I hope your able to find a fix for yours without having to send it in for the down time.

Bill Kearns
03-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi Bob,

I thoroughly clean the CW after each project with the vacumn and my compressor. I make sure that I get up into the truck and all the machinery. I've tried the tape, checked the screws and the wire harness and all seem to be OK. I tried to start a new project from point "A" and I still get the "close cover" alarm.

What I may do is to contact Tech Support on Monday and see what they say.

Spudzilla mentioned that he will send back his CW due to the fact that he tried all the steps to clear the problem. A 3 week turn around won't effect my projects, I have enough of other projects to continue sniffing sawdust.

Bill Kearns
03-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi Spuddzilla,

What did it cost you to ship the CW back? It's quite heavy and that could run into a bit of $$.

How many times did you call "Tech Support" before they figured that they tried everything?

BobHill
03-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Bill, You should be able to get a shipping label from CarveWright before sending it back. You may not need to send it. If they determine it has to go back, they'll handle the freight, but I suspect they might be able to talke you through the problem without sending it.

Bob

Spuddzilla
03-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi Bill,

I talked to CW on Thursday 3 times and they are sending me a shipping label. They said I could either accept to send it back or toss it, I said please send me a shipping label. After trouble shooting it via phone call they felt that something broke, but rather than sending me the new part they wanted the whole machine.

Oh well, I don't remember who I talked to at CW but he was very nice, I called him once and he called me back twice that day. I was able to carve about 5 hours and 8 projects while I had it.

I really like the machine, am glad I purchased it, can't wait to get it back.

Spudzilla

Bill Kearns
03-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm going to call them on Monday morning when Texas gets out of bed. Hopefully they will be able to save shipping costs and I get to keep my CW. Sooner or later the bugs will be able to all be sent to the "roach motel" where they can "check in but not check out".

Thanks, Bill

Bill Kearns
03-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Spoke to Omar in tech support and he was going to send me a shipping label.
He spoke to his supervisor and he came back with a quick fix. We opened the top and behind the Z-truck and pulled out a small 5 wire grey cable and removed it. He said that that should do it. Evidently they are redisigning the probe and this cable will not be needed.

Guess what------it's humming away as I write this little note. Other than Guy Lombardo's band--this is the sweetest sound this side of heaven.

Thanks Omar, your gooooood. :-)

cycollins
03-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Is this a recommended service solution? I got an axis-stall error (don't remember which axis) and then I got a persistent "close front cover" error. Are you suggesting that people who get the "close front cover" error should pull the little gray ribbon? Sounds a little scary. Did you have to remove the entire casing to do this or just the transparent front-cover (or nothing at all)?

DCC

Digitalwoodshop
03-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Odds are that the close cover problem is the plug for the lid switch next to the keyboard. The wire goes from the lid switch and picks up additional wires from that plug they say is for future expansion... (a rotary devece) to the very back just under where the motor drive cable comes out. It's the same one shown in the instructions on how to take the cover off. To fix it, remove 4 top cover screws, lift back cover 2 inches, with unit unplugged, push the wires and plug back in to the rear facing circuit board. I blew my plug out with air pressure from the front.

As for that plug of wires you don't need now?? Must be talking about the Z home sensor that is bypassed with a "go as far as you can down and stop". Hey... This must be "Home".... Update 120.

Anyone else notice the new home check, just drives down next to the keyboard side.

AL

cycollins
03-19-2007, 01:43 AM
...and I don't like to argue with those who have more miles the the CW machine under their belt than I do, but this problem popped up before I did any cleaning, with forced air, vacuuming or otherwise. Also, I've seen a lot of plug-type connectors in my day and I've never seen one that could be "blown" out of its socket. Others are suggesting that this could be a software problem, especially since it coincided with the onset of the axis stall. And then there is the guy who was told to yank the mysterious gray ribbon cable.

DCC

Jeff_Birt
03-19-2007, 08:33 AM
DCC, the cover plug could have been loosened in transit or from vibration. Some folks have had it come loose. The small grey ribbon cable mentioned is not used unless you have a scanning probe (as the home sensor is no longer used). If you arew uncomfortable with trying this stuff for yourself it would be good to call CW and talk to a tech.

cycollins
03-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Hmmm... Odd that it would have an effect on reading the close-cover sensors. I ordered a scanner probe, which means it will be shipped to me about the time we re-elect a Republican to the White House (or global warming consumes the planet, whichever comes first). If the tech folks recommend I pull the cable, I wonder if it will that mean I won't be able to use the probe? Questions to ponder in the wee hours of the night.

DCC

Kenm810
03-20-2007, 06:50 AM
DDC,

Not long after I started using my CC, I got a close cover error. Rather then tiring to take the cover off,
I followed a post suggestion and just reseated the plug with a soda straw through the slots in the back top of the machine.
It worked; I’m guessing the culprit in my case was vibration.
This by its self won’t solve any other problems. But I found it worked for me.

HandTurnedMaple
03-20-2007, 10:03 AM
I just got off the phone with tech support over a repeated Close Cover error myself. The explanation I got was that a magnetic sensor located inside the Z-head that is no longer used in 1.120, is getting loose and sending a 5V spike into the cover switch. The remedy is to send it to Texas and have them remove the head and remove the sensor.

rgant05
03-20-2007, 03:32 PM
You've got to be kidding. Mine just got back from TX two weeks ago.... cut 4 jobs, tore up a board edge sensor, and just got it yesterday.... now the close door warning is showing up 3 or 4 times on a job. Coincidentally I just updated to 1.120 at the insistance of CW tech. I can't help believing that there is something being done in 1.120 that wasn't in other versions. Is anyone having this problem that is using 1.115.

RC Woodworks
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Roger, I am with you I believe the all of sudden close cover problem is the result of the 1.2 software. This problem is not seen in a post prior to the software 1.2 update and now you see it more and more.

The 3rd CC I exchanged started doing it after the homing sensor broke. Along with a check cut motor error. I will see this friday with my new one if it will get a close cover error

cycollins
03-20-2007, 08:46 PM
...now I have a "Clear Board Sensor". I'm really confused too, because when I do the sensor check, the "Board sensor" reads 130 or so. I say "or so" because it is not stable. It appears to be counting down very slowly so that I can observe it start to flash between 130 and 129, then stay solid on 129 and then proceed to flash with 128 after which it stabilizes at 128, etc. Anyone get this behavior. With most of the people posting real board sensor issues, the board sensor reads "0". I put my finger under the board sensor and it immediately read in the 50's. When I removed my finger, it returned to something in the 120's, so the sensor is responsive to change. When I try to do a board measurement, I get an "Error 400 - Edge detection failure". Oh well, back to scouring the forum.

DCC

cycollins
03-20-2007, 08:51 PM
In order to fix my "Close Cover" problem, I applied a highly sophisticated diagnostic technique - I looked through the hole in the back. There, my finely honed senses were able to detect...a big fat old ribbon cable the size of Montana flapping completely disconnected in the wind. Not surprizingly, connecting this up again fixed the "close cover problem". However, now I've got the clear board sensor problem mentioned in the previous post. Errggg! I just want to carve some wood!!! These CarveWright machines seem to have taken a collective vow of board preservation. They vow never to do harm to the surface of a board with nasty old spinning metal tool heads by whatever means necessary. OK flame off now.

DCC