PDA

View Full Version : How would you stain this sign?

maryamick
03-29-2015, 12:31 PM

I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but wanted to pick your brains and ask how you would stain this sign. I've been using a water based stain through a sprayer, then sanding off the raised areas. This gets a little tricky with 2 raised areas (the names). I would like for the background to be a prettypecan color, amick to be a darker pecan and bruce and missy to be sanded off. Does anyone have suggestions? I love this sign and used cross pattern from the pattern depot.

p.s. if this is the wrong place for this post, someone please point me to the section I should post it in.

Thanks,
Connie B.

dehrlich
03-29-2015, 01:06 PM
First, are you aware you have the lines from the large text showing through on the small text? I would take the merge off. I have made several of these type signs and I never merge them, just let that text sit on top.

It would be tricky to do what you suggest with stain and sanding. Again, in my experience the large text will show just fine leaving it the same color as the rest, then highlight your graphics and smaller text. If you look on my website (shown in my signature below), look at the Family page you will see some I have made. Hope that helps.

zan29
03-29-2015, 01:18 PM
A shabby chic finish would be nice.

cestout
03-29-2015, 02:24 PM
After you have turned the merge off as suggested, I would stain it with a not too dark stain like cherry (not red cherry) - if you are carving it in pine use pre-stain conditioner first. Put one coat of urethane on it and buff with your 220 grit mop. Now highlight the front text, text at the bottom and crosses with acrilic. Then cover that with a final coat of urethane.
Clint

rmock
03-29-2015, 02:27 PM
golden mahogany oil stain, black stain pen lettering ,sanded top layers75273

fwharris
03-29-2015, 08:22 PM

I'm not sure this is the right place for this post,

p.s. if this is the wrong place for this post, someone please point me to the section I should post it in.

Thanks,
Connie B.

A better spot for this post would of been in the "techniques" area http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?25-Techniques

I just moved your post to this area...

bfortin
03-19-2017, 08:20 AM
I like this. Is this pattern available to share with me?

Cgav34
12-20-2017, 04:37 PM
How would you apply the stains?

While I'm a novice at finishing with stain, the one time I tried to do it, the stain bleed onto an area that I did not want it to. Not sure if I had too much on the brush, or if I was just doing it incorrectly to begin with...being a noob.

Most of the signs I've carved like that, I ended up just using paints, but I like the more classy look of stain better, and would really like to know the technique for getting good results.

kwbcpastor
12-26-2017, 03:24 PM
I have tried and tried to stain a project before carving it. I always get a message that I need to clean the sensor. I finally taped white paper over the entire board ...30" long. The sensor was able to measure my board that way. Is there a better way to do this?

DianMayfield
12-26-2017, 03:29 PM
I also use paper where the sensor measures. But, I have 2 inch strips that I just fold over the edges sharply, tuck under the head,then remove before the carve starts. It only needs to be under where the sensor measures the width of the board. For the ends, when it is looking for it when the rollers drop, I run a strip of light masking tape. And that only needs to be in the center of the end, where the head travels over the end of the board.

Mugsowner
12-27-2017, 06:12 AM
I use masking tape in a t pattern, placing it where the z truck sensor travels over while doing the measuring task.

kwbcpastor
12-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Great advice. Thanks so much Masking tape at the measure point.....There's wisdom in the counsel of many!

kwbcpastor
01-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Thanks team