PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre: A hole is actually a line, and a Y-axis stall?

626Pilot
03-28-2015, 08:02 AM
I asked my CarveWright to drill several holes in the front and back of a board. What should be a line of three 3/16 holes turned into this:

Three holes = 1 line? That starts at the right distance from the edge, but not where an actual hole is???

It began drilling with the 1/8" cutting bit (in the wrong location). It then proceeded to route out to the edge, which resembles absolutely nothing I asked it to do, and complain of a Y-axis stall.

The CW is running the latest firmware (checked today). What in the heck is this all about???

bergerud
03-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Can you post the mpc?

If there is nothing wrong with the mpc, I would blame corrupt firmware on the card. Format and re-flash the card, and try again. If it still does it, the next thing to check would be the FFC ribbon and the y encoder.

DocWheeler
03-28-2015, 11:23 AM
I got tired of not trusting my machine to work correctly in its Y position, so I did some checking yesterday.
I did some sensor checks to move the Y-truck to see if I could get it to screw-up a position.
I moved the truck several times and wiggled the FFC cable in several locations without much luck.
I did find something interesting though; when touching the other wiring I got the Y position to change several hundredths.

I still can't figure out the problem; ordered another FFC cable and waiting for the humidity to increase.

Digitalwoodshop
03-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Could be something as simple as a bad FFC Cable and the Z never lifted off the board....

626Pilot
03-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Can you post the mpc?

If there is nothing wrong with the mpc, I would blame corrupt firmware on the card. Format and re-flash the card, and try again. If it still does it, the next thing to check would be the FFC ribbon and the y encoder.
I've attached the file. I'll take a look at the router's innards. I assume Y is the axis that goes across the grain - is that right?

bjbethke
03-28-2015, 08:05 PM
I've attached the file. I'll take a look at the router's innards. I assume Y is the axis that goes across the grain - is that right?

Looks like the board is not staying under the rollers. I would drill that by hand. BJB

I think you would need some well adjusted OUT FEED rollers to make that work, it could snap your bit.

bergerud
03-28-2015, 08:41 PM

Yes it is the y that goes across. If I were you, I would try a some simple projects and see if it misbehaves again before taking it apart. More information would help to trouble shoot if something is wrong.