PDA

View Full Version : Board runs threw during measurement issue

deckard
03-27-2015, 12:50 PM
I've had a rash of issues with my machine lately that are starting to really discourage me and this latest issue has got me stumped.

I had to replace the plastic gears for the belt drive assembly. Well I got that done and put the rubber belts on during the process.

Now I've had a new issue after getting it all together.

When I put a board in and tell it to measure the board it's running the board threw past the rollers then give an error.

I was kind of thinking that the little tracking roller might not be turning but it is. wasn't sure if the sensor that's under the cutting head measured that but it's measuring the width so I would think that would be working.

What would cause this new issue all of a sudden?

I took the top cover back off and checked the small circuit board back there blew out the terminals but no help.

Seems odd that the board tracker was working before but just stopped unless I severed a wire or something during reassembly but I was pretty careful during all of this.

Am I missing something that someone else has experienced?

Any help would be appreciated I really am becoming disheartened with all of this at this point I nearly have a new machine and think I could have saved money had I just bought a new one my hobby is getting expensive.

Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
03-27-2015, 12:56 PM
The Rear Rubber Roller needs to drop then the board sensor turns on and finds the end of the board. If the rear roller does not drop than the board passes out of the machine.
It also happens if you put in a board less than 3/4 inch thick.

Use sensor data to test the rollers.... Just crank down on a board and release.

Dust builds up on the roller plate.

AL

fwharris
03-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Make sure the brass roller is not making contact with the rubber belts. Also check for a stuck compression roller.

Mugsowner
03-27-2015, 06:40 PM
First thing to do is check the switches for the compression rollers. Go to options 0 on the keypad, then press 7 to get to the sensor screen. I think you push on down arrow once to get to the rollers screen, but I could be wrong, if not keep pushing he down arrow until you see the screen. Raise the head up, so that no pressure is on the rollers. Both should read released, if not you will have to remove the panel on the keypad side of the machine. Place a board in machine and lower head until it clutches out. There are two bolts on the of the posts that will need to be removed (10mm socket). There are also two Phillips head screws at the bottom of the panel to remove. Lift panel strait up to remove. There is a cable connected to it you have to be careful with. Place a board in machine and lower head until it clutches out. The switches are located near to on the outside edge above rollers. Using low pressure air(around 30 psi) blow gun long enough to blow out the switches and surrounding area out to remove the dust build up. You may check the roller switches at this time. Place the panel back in place and hold while you raise the head up. If the display now shows both rollers released you may finish putting it back together. Hope this helps

deckard
03-28-2015, 07:51 AM
thanks for the replies guys.

Before I got a chance to read the replies I couldn't take it and went back down to the garage and tore things apart and eventually figured it out.

What had happened is the switch on the back roller had gotten stuck. the roller was going up and down but the switch was stuck. Got out the ohm meter to figure it out little bit of working it and wala got it working.

I really needed that win things had been getting a bit out of hand lately seems everything was breaking at the same time just happy to be back on track.

Again thanks for the reply's

mtylerfl
03-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Good for you figuring that out on your own. Two main things are usually responsible a board feeding all the way through the machine unintentionally:

1) Stuck roller switch (which you already discovered and fixed) <- by far the most common cause
2) Board less than .5" thick (not less than 3/4" thick as mentioned in one of the previous posts) <- less common because most folks know a board thinner than .5" requires a sled or carrier board

DickB
03-28-2015, 06:33 PM
Got out the ohm meter to figure it out little bit of working it and wala got it working.
For future reference, there are user tests that you can access through "Options" on the keypad to do things like display the roller switch position being sensed by the machine. You can move the roller up and down by hand and it should reflect open and closed in the display.

zan29
03-29-2015, 06:16 AM
So what do you do if the brass roller is touching the belt?

Mugsowner
03-29-2015, 07:27 AM
Zan can you post a picture?

bergerud
03-29-2015, 08:14 AM
What machine do you have? New board tracker or old type. Rubber belts I assume.

You could just move the belt away? See the trick: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20113-Roller-compression&p=171537#post171537

You may be able to move the squaring plate towards the rear a little. Loosen the two small screws.

deckard
03-29-2015, 08:52 AM
had that issue after I fixed the one above with the tracking roller.

Issue was after I switched to the rubber belts since they don't make the sandpaper belts anymore.

I know and am sure there are other fixes possibly better but what worked for me quickly was to just slice off about 1/32nd of an inch of the belt since it tracks nearly perfectly it's worked thus far although if the roller could be moved back a hairs width then that would fix the issue as well I'm sure and probably better.

zan29
03-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Bergerud, it's the same problem you've help me with which is still not resolved and tried everything you told me to do. My last resort is that the brass roller is touching my rubber belt. Thanks for for the trick.