PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with rounding corners on box six please read

toddreed
03-26-2015, 07:17 PM
I have a very important any box to build was Kinna a god send. I can't say anything about who it's for but I have 100 percent run with the design of box. I was about to give up and got this call it's a very important box. I want to round to corners of the sides and ends but can't get it right. Can u help.

bergerud
03-26-2015, 07:35 PM
You have to explain or give an example. Round the corners of a rectangular top or router the top edges of the box?

cestout
03-27-2015, 05:29 PM
I also do not understand what you are trying to do. Do you want to round the top and bottom edges, or the ends, or both? Are you going to rabbit the top in, then cut the top off, or have a simple one piece lid? How skilled are you at joinery?
Clint

SteveNelson46
03-27-2015, 09:13 PM
I have a very important any box to build was Kinna a god send. I can't say anything about who it's for but I have 100 percent run with the design of box. I was about to give up and got this call it's a very important box. I want to round to corners of the sides and ends but can't get it right. Can u help.

I'm not sure of what you want either but, here is a link to a short video that I made awhile back. It shows how to make a box with a rounded corner and how to apply a cut path.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJeVXJaamNpSTZhMHM/view?usp=sharing

toddreed
03-30-2015, 05:43 PM
What I mean is I want to round the round the sides or ends of the box I know how to round the corners on the top. I could use the round over bit but was wondering if there was any other way. I want this box to have rounded sides not pointed ends. Does that help.

SteveNelson46
03-31-2015, 01:15 AM
It would take a little planning to allow for the round over but, you could use the Carvewright to cut the outside shape and hollow out the inside. Then , if you are using 3/4" thick material, use a 3/8" roundover bit on the router table to round over the bottom edge, flip it over and round over the top edge. That should give you a bullnosed outside edge. You could even get the carvewright machine to do the round overs with a two sided carve but, it's much easier on the router table.

bjbethke
03-31-2015, 04:59 AM
What I mean is I want to round the round the sides or ends of the box I know how to round the corners on the top. I could use the round over bit but was wondering if there was any other way. I want this box to have rounded sides not pointed ends. Does that help.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for? Your words are going around and round; you may need to draw an image of what you need. If you are looking for a rounded side of a box; you need to make a grayscale image to do that. I don't have all the New CW programs so I use an off market program to do that.

If this is what you are looking for; send me a "PM" with your e-mail. I can make up a pattern for you. BJB

cestout
04-01-2015, 01:18 PM
What software add-ons do you have. If you have the 3D suite it would be easy. But I have done stuff like that before we had that. Using the grid and the multiline tool, draw a trapezoid along each edge and make it a carved out region .375 deep. Using the doming tools make them top, bottom, left, and right dome as required. Set height to 999 or what ever works.
Clint

DocWheeler
04-01-2015, 05:43 PM
There are three ways that I can think of to do roundovers that I can think of.
1. Create an edge region and select an Edge Dome Surface (select Surface>Top, Bottom, Left, or Right).
2. Create the edge line and Select a bit - the 1/4" roundover bit.
3. Create the edge with the 3D software.

Option #1 will not rout the four outside corners, but a little filing and sanding will fix that. (see picture below)
Option #2 is a little tricky to both create the rounded corners and get the exact offset.
Option #3 is expensive unless you intend to use it for other things.

Attached is the mpc for option #1 with two sides created if it is of interest to you.