PDA

View Full Version : Cover Switch

karossii
03-26-2015, 02:45 PM
So I started having this problem a long time ago (3-5 weeks or so), but made a temporary fix and forgot about it... so I never got around to actually fixing it right.

The close cover switch was getting very touchy - so that mid carve it would frequent stop and ask me to close the cover, even though it was closed, and still showed 'press enter to proceed' - meaning it had registered open then immediately registered closed again. I figured this was due to vibration, added a couple layers of tape to the bit of the clear cover the presses in the close cover switch, and all was well. Then I forgot to look into how to actually fix it right.

Well now even with that masking tape it was starting to do the same thing again. I haven't done many carves, 3 - 5 or so, since that happened... I think maybe over time, the tape just compressed so it wasn't helping. Or maybe the switch got pressed in so it wasn't registering the tape. But rather than trying that same temporary fix with a new (or some more) layers of tape, I tried just taping the cover shut so that vibrations can't force it open. So far, it has been working well for the last 20 minutes or so (was happening every few minutes before).

This way, I can't miss that temporary fix and forget about it.

So, after this carve is finished, what are the proper troubleshooting steps I should take to figure out why the switch is being so touchy, and then fix it?

mtylerfl
03-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Squirt the switch with WD-40...work it in/out a bunch of times...blow out the switch with compressed air. That usually works, but...

...the switch might have worked its way back away from the cover a tiny bit which can cause intermittent contact. You can loosen the two small screws under the switch, then move the switch more forward towards the cover and tighten the screws again. Be very careful...those small screws are soft metal and strip easy...also, don't overtighten the screws or you may strip the plastic holes the screws go into.

Most likely, the switch is just dirty with dust and/or light coating of corrosion and the cleaning will normally take care of it just fine. It is rare that a switch actually needs to be replaced, although a lot of folks give up too soon and replace the switch anyway.

Another possible cause is the plastic cover is slightly warped which can create intermittent contact with a switch, but that's not very common.

DickB
03-26-2015, 05:06 PM
I had trouble early on and even got a replacement switch under warranty weeks after I bought my machine, but it too failed. A problem is that the OEM switch is not dustproof. I tried the temporary cleaning fixes, and they worked for a while. But there are compatible sealed dust proof switches available and the cost is nominal. i replaced mine years ago and never had another problem.

Mike58
03-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Dick what did you get? I was looking into this myself, but I guess one really needs to take some measurements of the switch in order to get one that will work. I found many micro switches, but didn't have measurements of mine so I didn't order anything. Kind of waiting to have to fiddle with mine again and going to take some measurements of it.

DickB
03-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Look here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14244-CW-Exorcism-Close-Cover-Board-Sensor&p=119125#post119125

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2015, 06:01 PM
As my machines age, the covers have become looser and I started putting what I call a seat belt on the cover to hold the cover tighter to the switch. Install with lid open slightly.

AL

Mike58
03-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Look here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14244-CW-Exorcism-Close-Cover-Board-Sensor&p=119125#post119125

Thank You. I am a few years behind the rest of you guys. I got my machine in 2007 and ran it once when I got it home to make sure it worked. Then it sat waiting on me to get tired of the laser we have and all the other projects that seem to keep coming up. I think I will really enjoy this - once I get the cobwebs out of it. ;)

willh
04-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Continually getting close cover message on my machine. Have checked micro sw can hear it click, no play in the cover that I can fine. Is there a reason that I can't just jump the switch and remove the cover, might be easier to run a vacuum and control the dust

Mike58
04-15-2015, 06:37 PM
machine will not stop running with the switch bypassed if you raise the cover. Raising the cover is a safety should something need attention. It's much faster to raise the cover quickly than to get to the stop button. Clicking doesn't mean making contact I found out. You likely have some dust inside the switch causing problems. I dropped the cover on mine several times when I had this happen and it seems to have dislodged whatever was the problem - I have ran for 20-30 hours now without issue.

For safety reasons I urge you NOT to permanently bypass it.

lynnfrwd
04-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Cover has two switches. Front left is for close cover message. Right cuts off motor.
First, blow out any dust in switch. If not fixed then apply pressure on top left part to see if warped cover.

Do not remove or bypass.

lynnfrwd
04-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Let us know if still a problem.

lynnfrwd
04-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Sorry mike...I had started this earlier but just now finishing post.

aokweld101
04-16-2015, 07:53 AM
what is happening is your switch is working than maybe the switch needs to be adjusted and brought forward to compress the switch with the cover.