PDA

View Full Version : First Project with the CW

Northwoods Woodcrafter
03-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Here are a couple of pics of my first attempt at a carved fish. I bought a pattern from VA3D and had the CW do it on both sides of the same block of Basswood. He's a little chubby for a bass but I was very pleased with my first attempt.

I'm convinced that buying patterns is the best way to go (if you can find what you need). It saves so much setup time.

Now I've got to figure out how to bend the tail to one side!

Pete

JamesB
03-07-2007, 08:07 AM
The fish looks very cool! First time I have seen one of our models cut double sided. I think you can control the depth of the model in the CW software by using a combination of the Depth and Height settings. So I expect you could slim down any future versions. Cheers, James

Northwoods Woodcrafter
03-07-2007, 08:13 AM
You're absolutely right. I over did it on the height (because the piece of wood I had was so thick and I wanted to use it... dumb). I might just try the loon I bought from you guys today.

Oh, the possibilities!

Pete

CallNeg151
03-07-2007, 08:18 AM
That is very clever, and way too cool, especially to try as a first project. Did you do a cutout with the carvewright, or did you just cut the front and back close to each other and cut it out yourself?

Northwoods Woodcrafter
03-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks! I cut it myself on the band saw rather than fool around with the cutout. Lots to learn and so little time... :-)

HandTurnedMaple
03-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Looks great. I tried it with the VA3D elk, but he ended up with just 2 [very thick] legs. Some of their patterns lend perfectly to that (hunting dog, wolf, horse, pelican, et al) because they are perfect profiles.

Good job.

mtylerfl
03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Pete,

You did a great job with the carved fish - very creative!

liquidguitars
03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
That's realy cool!
Lig

Greybeard
03-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Now I've got to figure out how to bend the tail to one side!

Pete

Pete - I think the way for you to look at is to use a "domed" region with the curvature you want, then use an additive merge with the fish.
Saying it is simple, but doing it will be a little more complex.
It could be that you will have to create a domed region of the shape of the fish first, then merge that with the fish.
I'm thinking as I type, but I hope it will give you a way to go.
Are you going to leave the fish in "raw", or will you be tempted to paint/gild it ?
Regards
John

Northwoods Woodcrafter
03-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the head start on the tail, John! I'm thinking of doing some hand carving. I'm also attempting to teach myself to airbrush. I'll give that a go on this one soon.

Pete

kyeakel
03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
The fish looks pretty good, how big is it? Could you make a trophy size one if you wanted? :-)

Northwoods Woodcrafter
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
The fish looks pretty good, how big is it? Could you make a trophy size one if you wanted?

This one is only about 8" long. I don't see why you couldn't make a trophy! Might be something for catch and release folks. If you could take a picture and turn it into a pattern.

I'll need to know more about design software.

Pete

Northwoods Woodcrafter
03-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Pete - I think the way for you to look at is to use a "domed" region with the curvature you want, then use an additive merge with the fish. Saying it is simple, but doing it will be a little more complex.
It could be that you will have to create a domed region of the shape of the fish first, then merge that with the fish.

I thought I would be able to figure out what "domed region" meant. Is this something in the Designer software or are you referring to a function of other software? Needless to say, it wasn't very easy for me.

-Pete

Greybeard
03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
To get familliar with the dome try this.
Open new project and draw a rectangle. With it still selected, hover the mouse over each of three brown "bricks" on the tool bar. The left one is "carve region" - this sinks the area of the rectangle with a flat base.
The brick to the right of the "region" one is "select surface". In here you will find "Domes", plus a couple of buttons.
Each of the domes(curved surfaces) is different, either simple cylindrical curves, or spherical curves.

(The right hand brick will give you textures.)

If you bring another pattern onto the board, with both selected, you can then, using the "Merge" control on the "Carving" menu, make the new pattern follow the curve of the region.

Hope that helps.
Regards
John

3DPhotowright
03-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Carving a bass our of basswood! Clever! How thick was the piece of basswood? When you stated you used the same block of wood did you mean that you just flipped it over? Nice work for your first project.
Bud

zeke
09-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi Pete, that fish is very impressive for a beginner. In your cut note are you saying that you carved two separate pieces, then bonded them together or 1 piece, then flipped it and maybe used a jig to carve the other side?

JOHNB
09-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Zeke, I'm Not Pete, But , Carve 2 Pieces. Left And Right, Then Glue Together.
ALTHOUGH PETE SAYS HE USED ONE PIECE OF WOOD? I DID MINE WITH 2 PIECES.

SevenCubed
09-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I wonder if you could steam and bend the fella after he's been carved... Definitely a nice lookin' fish you've got there! =)

Northwoods Woodcrafter
09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks... sorry, I've been out of commission for awhile. Yes, one piece of wood. I just received the scanning probe and I'm hoping to make a gun stock in the same way. My neighbor has an old rifle that has some damage. We'll try and scan the good side and then duplicate it on each side of a piece of wood. I'm prepared for a lot of scrap before we move on to a nice piece of wood!

Pete

Jeff_Birt
09-21-2007, 09:18 AM
The pattern produced by the probe will be significantly undersized when placed on a board in Designer. The probe has a resolution of 1/100" (on best quality) and Designer interprets patterns as 1/128". So you need to enlarge that pattern after you place it on the board. You can do this by multiplying the X (or Y) dimension by 1.28 and typing that number into the X dimension box (or Y). Designer keeps the two dimensions locked so that when you change one the other changes in the same proportion. Or, you could do it the easy was by loading the pattern into CBPE and use the 'Life-Size' button to automatically resize the pattern for you. Then when you drop it on the board in Designer it's already the correct size.

You can download CBPE here: http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=837#836