PDA

View Full Version : Design advice/help

karossii
03-23-2015, 07:39 PM
I am trying to take a friend's logo and turn it into a sign for them. I am running into a number of issues I didn't think I would be running into.

First, it is just laying out the shape of the sign. I don't have the 2D tools, and so can't do a trace... and trying to use photoshop opened up with a grid in one window, and designer in another window, and plotting paths by eye is just not working for me. Does anyone have any advice on how best to get the overall shape of this sign set up?

Second, it is going to be right at 26" tall and about 46" wide... so it will be either 2 or 3 boards that I carve and assemble. I first thought it would be best to carve the sign as one piece, the bell as a second piece, and the two horns as individual pieces. But sizing it up, the sign will be about 15" tall, meaning it can't be a single carve. The bell is also over 13.5 wide, and 15" tall - I could probably squeeze it into a single carve, but my gut is telling me it should get split as well. So now I am debating on just splitting the whole sign into two or three carves, and assembling them. But I do wonder if it is still a good idea to make the "four" sections; just making the sign in two halves, and the bell in two halves, and then the two horns.

The rest of the issues I'm working on - finding out what font the business name is going to be in, etc. Those are the two pressing concerns. Any advice?

lynnfrwd
03-23-2015, 10:41 PM
To trace without 2d vector, make it a pattern, use regular drawing tools to trace and the hide function to see what you have so far. This is what I did before 2d trace option.

Layering different carved features is not a bad idea, but tiling technique will work, too.

bergerud
03-23-2015, 11:37 PM
Here are the basic curves. It took me about 1/2 an hour. I like a reason to practice with the smart spline tool. I drew half of each curve, copied, pasted, flipped, and attached to make them closed. It is only a start.

bjbethke
03-24-2015, 12:05 AM
I am trying to take a friend's logo and turn it into a sign for them. I am running into a number of issues I didn't think I would be running into.

First, it is just laying out the shape of the sign. I don't have the 2D tools, and so can't do a trace... and trying to use photoshop opened up with a grid in one window, and designer in another window, and plotting paths by eye is just not working for me. Does anyone have any advice on how best to get the overall shape of this sign set up?

Second, it is going to be right at 26" tall and about 46" wide... so it will be either 2 or 3 boards that I carve and assemble. I first thought it would be best to carve the sign as one piece, the bell as a second piece, and the two horns as individual pieces. But sizing it up, the sign will be about 15" tall, meaning it can't be a single carve. The bell is also over 13.5 wide, and 15" tall - I could probably squeeze it into a single carve, but my gut is telling me it should get split as well. So now I am debating on just splitting the whole sign into two or three carves, and assembling them. But I do wonder if it is still a good idea to make the "four" sections; just making the sign in two halves, and the bell in two halves, and then the two horns.

The rest of the issues I'm working on - finding out what font the business name is going to be in, etc. Those are the two pressing concerns. Any advice?

Hi - this is not as large as you wanted, but you should be able to re-size it.

CNC Carver
03-24-2015, 05:42 AM
Very nice work! I'm sure it will work out great!

bergerud
03-24-2015, 08:54 AM
I think, for many reasons, you should consider making the sign out of separate parts. I am thinking, for example, the bell and support would be in the foreground. This means that the whole rest of the sign has to be carved lower. That is a lot of area to carve that may not need to be carved. This is a massive project which takes quite a bit of planning. I would not use a single pattern to carve it all.

karossii
03-24-2015, 03:20 PM
That was my gut instinct too. Even though it will take a bit more time and planning (and even though my friend is in a bit of a rush for it)...

I hadn't even THOUGHT of making a raster pattern then tracing it. Which is doubly stupid, as I have done that with a ton of other, albeit much simpler, carves.

So I think the sign shape will be 2 carves, at 7.5" tall each. The horns will be two pieces on one board. And the bell will be two carves, at 6.75" wide each. Seems like a plan...

lynnfrwd
03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
That was my gut instinct too. Even though it will take a bit more time and planning (and even though my friend is in a bit of a rush for it)...

I hadn't even THOUGHT of making a raster pattern then tracing it. Which is doubly stupid, as I have done that with a ton of other, albeit much simpler, carves.

So I think the sign shape will be 2 carves, at 7.5" tall each. The horns will be two pieces on one board. And the bell will be two carves, at 6.75" wide each. Seems like a plan...

What if you carve one half of horn above the other half of the horn? You will have shorter carve, better use of a board and less possibility of tracking error.

karossii
03-24-2015, 04:08 PM
I think that what you're suggesting, is what I intended... that's why I said the horns would be two pieces on one board. As in, one project, one carve, but two separate cutouts. Probably rotate one 180 degrees, so they fit better and don't need as wide a board.

lynnfrwd
03-24-2015, 04:12 PM
I think that what you're suggesting, is what I intended... that's why I said the horns would be two pieces on one board. As in, one project, one carve, but two separate cutouts. Probably rotate one 180 degrees, so they fit better and don't need as wide a board.

Yes, that is what you said. Sorry, didn't read it close enough.

karossii
03-24-2015, 04:31 PM
No worries! I would rather get some repeated advice, or advice on stuff I already thought of, than to not get anything. :)