PDA

View Full Version : Board too thick ?

myshop1044
03-21-2015, 09:37 AM
attached is some pictures of the cutpath not going thru the project board.
The strange part is I used this same project for a demo yesterday. I when thru the measuring of the sled,
checking the 3 bits, when the cutting bit was installed, it when thru it's regular process and then it asked what was the thickness
of the project and I gave it .75, then it ask for the carving bit and starting carving. a couple minutes into the carving
I stop the it .
This morning I used the same sled with the board still in the it and when it ask for cutting bit it decided the board too thick
and gave me the options of abort or continue.
This is strange, in the last 3 projects I did , was the "Gone Fishing" projects, it did the same thing, the first time was find and 2nd and 3rd "board too thick"
I'm not sue what's going on here. check out the pic.s

bergerud
03-21-2015, 09:50 AM
When it says "board too thick", does it display how thick it thinks the board is?

myshop1044
03-21-2015, 10:10 AM
No, when it goes down on the left side, 3 times then it comes up and does not try to go to the right side like normal,
To check the thickness or touch the guide plate.

bergerud
03-21-2015, 11:21 AM
I have had this happen before. I remember trying all the firmware versions and it still happened. I concluded that it was "normal" and one had to press continue. Now, I cannot get it to happen no matter what I try! Still working on it.

chief2007
03-21-2015, 03:38 PM
Check the board tracking roller - see of there is a hole where the bit touches or if no hole is there, check the play in the board tracker assembly. I had one where the unit was broke and caused a similar issue

myshop1044
03-21-2015, 04:51 PM
Ok here is the results of my test, 1- no markings on the brass plate area and it is very tight. 2- did 2 tests on my other machine and had no failures, breeze thru ,using the same cutting bit. 3 measured my 2 cutting bits, both the same. 4 when back to the first machine with the same bit and it failed 2 times more.
don't know ?????

bergerud
03-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Maybe you should look into the board thickness calibration: 0 - 6 - 2

myshop1044
03-21-2015, 06:32 PM
I wasn't a wear there was such a thing, will try tomorrow. thanks.

myshop1044
03-22-2015, 09:06 AM
I did the board calibration test 0-6-2, did not see any big thing with it, it went thru it's functions with the cut bit
and ask me for the thickness of the board, I entered .75 and it repeated the same questions. it never showed or confirmed the thick of the board in the machine.
Is there documentation on the steps of this cal. function or the answers it should give back.

bergerud
03-22-2015, 09:12 AM
It may not be the problem, I just thought that it could be a difference between your machines.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...alibration.pdf (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/Carvewright_User_Calibration.pdf)

myshop1044
03-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info, I tried it and followed the instructions, then tried the sled and it still states "board to thick"
I will keep looking.

bergerud
03-22-2015, 10:15 AM
It could be that an internal stored parameter (like distance between bit plate and board) is corrupted. You may have to call LHR. They may be able to send you a program which resets the internal parameters.

bergerud
03-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Now I get the message all the time! I tried before to get it and could not. I am confused. Anyway, it now seems like any time I have a cut through and the bit goes too far down by the brass roller after finding the board surface, I get the too thick to cut through message. I will keep trying to understand this.

myshop1044
03-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Seem like we are in the same boat, the only thing I havn't tried is a cut path project on a board that is not in a sled.
a straight 3/4" board with thr 7 extra inches?

bergerud
03-26-2015, 08:20 PM
That should work. I only get the message when I have a cut through and the bit cannot make it to the touch at the brass roller. (At least now I do.) I think it is normal programmed behavior. I just do not quite understand why it sometimes happens and other times not. I have way too many variables going on.

myshop1044
03-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Tomorrow I am going to try a simple cut path on a 3/4" plywood scrap board.

bergerud
04-01-2015, 03:04 PM
I think I have an explanation of what is going on (assuming the project has a cut through, pierce, or drill through). If the bob at the brass roller fails to touch, the "board too thick to cut through" message should pop up. It is normal for this to occur. If it does touch at the brass roller, then it moves on to check things at the sliding plate. The problem here is that, most of the time, it behaves as if it has made the touch at the brass roller when it has not. We are used to seeing it air bob three times at the sliding plate, when in fact, we should have gotten the "board too thick" message back after the brass roller bob.

Why this is, I do not know. It is a programming problem. How to tell whether the bit has touched, the truck has bottomed out, or the bit (or QC) has hit the board.

Anyway, bottom line is that the "board too thick to cut through" message that this thread is about is actually normal and should occur more often than it does!

myshop1044
04-01-2015, 03:38 PM
I agree with you on the bobings 3 times at the sliding plate, then it ask the depth of the project. I enter .75 and there no problem with the cut path.
when it states "board too thick "at the brass roller and then it ask 1- abort or 2 continue, when I enter a"2" it seems to ignore the thickness of the board of the project. Then goes on and does the cutpath, but it cuts deep into the sled and puts tabs in the sled also.
Seems to me , it should ask for the thickness of the project at the point , when it said the board it too thick. Like it does at the sliding plate, just to cover all the bases.
just my reflections on the problem.

bergerud
04-01-2015, 05:08 PM
When it gives you the board too thick message, could the bit have made it to the brass roller touch? In all my experiments I have had the board up too high for the bit to ever reach. In my case, I should always get the message. You should not get the message if the bit can make it. I guess this is not yet figured out!

bergerud
04-02-2015, 10:51 AM
According to Metallus, after the "board too thick to cut through" message, the cut through will be to the max depth of the bit. So, one should not press continue unless one really has a board too thick and/or will be happy with a 1" deep cut. This now seems to me to more of a error situation than something that is normal since I can only get one of my machines to do it. It may take awhile, but I hope to get this figured out!

myshop1044
04-02-2015, 11:16 AM
I like the" KISS" method, again when the error statement "board too thick" comes up then "ask what is the thickness you need .75" and don't use the hold depth of the cutting bit. I believe they pay those programmers enough to get a "fix" put in , what do you think? Just venting.

bergerud
04-02-2015, 11:21 AM
I agree. I asked if a depth query might be inserted. Even a warning: will cut to full depth - continue?

Anyway, if it is a error situation, we have to find out what is causing the error. We may have some kind of z truck problem.

bergerud
04-02-2015, 06:25 PM
I just put a 1/8" spacer on top of my bit plate and got the error from my second machine. My first machine has a higher bit plate because the bit plate is part of my dust cap setup. I wondered if that was why I got the error on one machine and not the other. Is your bit plate bent upwards or is it horizontal as it should be?

myshop1044
04-02-2015, 08:24 PM
I will have to look, never thought about the bit plate being level or not, that could be a problem, thanks.
I will check with you on Monday.