PDA

View Full Version : How to Restart a carve?

Merlin
03-16-2015, 03:21 PM
I have a carve that just finished removing material from a carve region which was to have some text carved in the region, the power went out after the region was finished and before I changed the bit. Do I have to allow the machine to re-carve out the region, then do the text, or is there a way to have it just do the text in the carve region. Kind words of wisdom would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DocWheeler
03-16-2015, 03:27 PM
Here is one thread I found with a search http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25848-Restart&highlight=restart

bergerud
03-16-2015, 04:32 PM
I sense that you have centerline text in the project. Have you used conforming vectors to drop the text into the pattern? If you have, your problem is harder to solve.

Merlin
03-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the input. Nd bergerud is correct, I have used centreline text with conforming vectors. Any idea how to restart??

bergerud
03-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Is the surface that the text is on flat? If so, there may be hope. (One can extend the bit to touch on the flat surface.) If the text is on a curved surface, you may have to "air" carve the region where the text is. If you could post the project, we may be better able to advise you.

Merlin
03-16-2015, 05:39 PM
The file is from an STL file import and centre line conforming vector text added for the information. The carve region is flat no texture. I really appreciate your assistance.

fwharris
03-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Not sure if this will work or not but, delete the pattern and carve region just leaving your text. When the machine is going through the "finding surface" step press stop one time and select #3 jog. Using the arrow buttons move the cutting head over the carved region and press enter. The machine will then try to touch down in the region. You might or might not get a Z stall.

bergerud
03-16-2015, 06:55 PM
I agree, remove the rectangle and the carving. The text will pop up 1/2". Load onto the card and see if the board measuring goes ok. You may need to use some masking tape to get across the board. It will only ask for the v90 bit this time because that will be all you use. When the bit goes for the touch on the board, press stop. You will be able to then choose (3) Jog. Now jog out into the middle of where the text will be. Loosen the bit and extend it another, say, 3/8" lower out of the chuck from where it was. (Maybe 1/4" will work.) I think that is it, it should cut out the text.

myshop1044
03-16-2015, 07:12 PM
here is another idea, hide the first region, hide the pattern. create a multisided region within the first around the text only , same depth.
The project will try and carve the second region with in the first which is already carve and then it will do the text without hurting any thing else.
see attached, I have done this before.
Perry B.

RogerB
03-16-2015, 07:43 PM
how do you create a multisided region within the first in 187 .do you do as bergerud and Fwharris say in there post.

myshop1044
03-16-2015, 07:50 PM
You use the dwg tools and create a closed region in 187. The version should not be a problem.

bergerud
03-16-2015, 08:05 PM
If it was a curved surface that the text was on, one would have to "recarve" the surface where the text was. (Actually, one could take out the bit and air carve the region already carved.) In this case, the carve region is flat and so it does not need to be recarved.

Merlin
03-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them out and see what happens and advise. Thanks ahain

RogerB
03-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the info.

Merlin
03-20-2015, 02:14 PM
I would like to try fwharris method, but believe he has posted the file using 3.0, I only have 1.187, if anyone could convert it for me I would appreciate that very much...

thanks

fwharris
03-20-2015, 05:40 PM
I would like to try fwharris method, but believe he has posted the file using 3.0, I only have 1.187, if anyone could convert it for me I would appreciate that very much...

thanks

I did not post any project file, just the how to... If you get a stall message try doing Bergerud's bit trick

Not sure if this will work or not but, delete the pattern and carve region just leaving your text. When the machine is going through the "finding surface" step press stop one time and select #3 jog. Using the arrow buttons move the cutting head over the carved region and press enter. The machine will then try to touch down in the region. You might or might not get a Z stall.

bergerud
03-20-2015, 06:36 PM
It will not stall. It will bob three times not making it to the surface below and then ask to reload the bit. I believe one can only go about 1/4" below where the normal surface should be. I think you will have to extend the to get down the 1/2".