PDA

View Full Version : Y Axis stall Err E05-0324

oscarl48
03-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Still fairly new with the machine (50 hours so far). Haven't learned all the ends and out yet.

Started getting this error during last carving attempt. Day was drier than normal and had a lot of static on the machine with saw dust sticking everywhere. Took the top off and did a thorough cleaning. Checked the y rollers and oiled them. Checked the y gear box and cleaned that out. No visible issues. Manual Y travel smooth without power. loosened the screw to re-tension the y-belt.

And still continue getting the error at the left end of travel right before it is supposed to find the surface. It does a little skip, hits the side of the case and error displays. Not sure what else to try. Anyone else have a suggestion on what to try next.

bergerud
03-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Aokweld just had the same problem and it was the head termination board. That is the circuit board where all the wires in the head connect. It is right beside the y motor and where the y motor plugs in. Check all the wire connections on that board.

What do you mean "a little skip"?

oscarl48
03-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. No luck. I went and reseated all the connections. Problem still persistent.

While it is finding the bit depth, the truck starts traveling down it moves to the left hitting the case (very short travel) and error displays.

bergerud
03-14-2015, 06:10 PM
You mean the carriage moves sideways to the left while the z truck is going down? If so, very strange. I think one, in strange cases like this, should format and reflash the firmware on the card. Eliminate corrupt software as the cause of the problem.

bergerud
03-14-2015, 07:04 PM
The only mechanical reason I can think of for such behavior is the encoder disc on the y motor is loose. When the z is going down, the y is supposed to stay fixed. In fact, y is very hard to move when it stays fixed. Fixed, however, is relative to the markings on the encoder disc. If the disc was loose and slowly turning from, say, vibration, the y motor would turn to try and match it. That is the only thing which makes sense to me if the y moving when it is supposed to be stationary.

oscarl48
03-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks again for trying to help. Reformatted and re-flashed the card. Error still there.

Ran the y axis sensor test: -.074 and 15.675 within a point or two after several iterations of moving back and forth. Pulled out the y motor assembly. Visually I couldn't tell if there was anything loose in the sensor wheel assembly but I did not open it to physically check. At this point I would probably just break it or lose a part. I've lost daylight and I'll try again tomorrow looking at it but will have to call for help sometime during the week to CW.

Static build up was pretty bad so not sure if something got japped.

bergerud
03-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Static build up was pretty bad so not sure if something got japped.

You may be right. It is a strange behavior.

fwharris
03-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Still fairly new with the machine (50 hours so far). Haven't learned all the ends and out yet.

Started getting this error during last carving attempt. Day was drier than normal and had a lot of static on the machine with saw dust sticking everywhere. Took the top off and did a thorough cleaning. Checked the y rollers and oiled them. Checked the y gear box and cleaned that out. No visible issues. Manual Y travel smooth without power. loosened the screw to re-tension the y-belt.

And still continue getting the error at the left end of travel right before it is supposed to find the surface. It does a little skip, hits the side of the case and error displays. Not sure what else to try. Anyone else have a suggestion on what to try next.

Just a quick check you the error point, The stall is occurring after it does the "finding bit" and touches the bit plate and travels back to the keyboard side and stalls before it even goes down to the the board????

Have you run the Y axis test from the user options (0,9)? or was your Y numbers from manually moving the Y truck back and forth while watching the Y reading?

If you have a new FFC cable I would unplug the one on the machine and just plug in the new one (no need to lace through the bracket at this point) and see if the stall still happens. It sounds like the machine is loosing its Y position for some reason.

bergerud
03-14-2015, 10:36 PM
What he described which is strange is that the y moves sideways as the z moves down. (I myself wonder if the FFC ribbon has anything to directly do with the y system. It should really only be the z system and board sensor which run through the ribbon. Then again, shorts in that system cause open cover messages. So, who knows?)

This does seem like a new one.

fwharris
03-14-2015, 10:51 PM
I have seem some strange symptoms caused by a bad FFC cable my self, not just limited to the Z and board sensor, and if the spare was available it is an easy on to check just by plugging it in without lacing it in the bracket.

Another quick check, does the flex shaft rub on the top cover?

oscarl48
03-15-2015, 09:08 AM
fwharris, thanks for the assist. Yes I tried doing the y axis test from the key board and also the sensor test manually. Both seem to be indicating no issues. The Visually inspected the y sensor wheel and seemed to have no slippage when I gently tapped the motor assembly (clear casing). I do not have any spare parts for the machine and will be on the phone tomorrow to order some of the high potential instigators of the problem. With 50 hours on the machine it should not be wear and tear so I am thinking electrical but you never know.

On the y axis test I got readings of A: 125.18 and M: 256.00.

aokweld101
03-15-2015, 10:39 AM
You might want to check your y gear and see if you have a broken tooth on the gear that might be the skip your talking about.

oscarl48
03-15-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the advise. I went back this morning and checked all the gears. They all look good. Same error at about the same time. Right before it checks the wood height but after "finding the bit on the bit plate test" as it does its z height check at the left end of travel it moves on the y axis to the case and I get the error message.

fwharris
03-15-2015, 09:26 PM
fwharris, thanks for the assist. Yes I tried doing the y axis test from the key board and also the sensor test manually. Both seem to be indicating no issues. The Visually inspected the y sensor wheel and seemed to have no slippage when I gently tapped the motor assembly (clear casing). I do not have any spare parts for the machine and will be on the phone tomorrow to order some of the high potential instigators of the problem. With 50 hours on the machine it should not be wear and tear so I am thinking electrical but you never know.

On the y axis test I got readings of A: 125.18 and M: 256.00.

Stumped for sure now since the error does not happen during the Y axis test. FYI, the reported numbers are just numbers to us, not even sure the LHR techs can determine anything from them.

To check the the disc in the back of the motor you will need to remove the cover to do so.

More verification on the error and the positioning of the truck when it happens. Does the error happen while the truck is still in the up position or is it when the truck in lowered down to the board surface?

DocWheeler
03-15-2015, 09:54 PM
This Y stuff is why I'm grumpy. After tearing my machine down three times I still can't carve - sort-of.
I put in a test piece that was to have two 1/4" regions carved in it. Then the 1/8" cutting bit was to give it straight walls.

I saw that the regions were AGAIN starting in the wrong Y position, but I let it carve since my test was to see
if the shallow region matched the cutout of the piece that was to be glued above it. When it came time to change
to the 1/8" bit, I got that Y-error as the truck slammed to the keyboard side. It does not hold its Y position!

oscarl48
03-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Fixed. Thanks for all your help. The CW technician was also a great help. I have been working long days and getting home way after the CW shop has closed down so he sent me their troubleshooting checklist. It allowed to play and go down the list of things to check out.

For the y axis stall it was you fine gentlemen that led me to the issue. The y wheel sensor seemed to have a little bit of play so a drop of glue on the end and error has gone away. But, in me opening and closing the case and manually manhandling the truck in the y and z axis I then developed a z axis issue.

Again CW technician sent me their z axis troubleshooting checklist and that really helped. Tore apart the truck and discovered a nicely stuck bearing. It was moving under pressure while installed but as soon as it was loose it was evident it was really stuck. A bunch of WD40 and some soft pliers and a bit of muscle and it seems my machine is back in order. Of course it is now supposed to rain through Sunday.

Incredibly frustrating experience but in the end a good one. Feel like I understand the machine a little better and have no fear of tearing apart if needed now. The deep cleaning also seems to have helped. Running a little bit smoother.

Thanks again.

bergerud
03-18-2015, 11:52 PM
Thanks for reporting on the fix. Glad you are up and running again.