PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Shopping List

First Sergeant
03-12-2015, 08:24 PM
After a bout with my flex shaft and losing I had to buy a new one. It is back to running like a champ and I want to keep it that way. Tomorrow I am going to give it its first good cleaning and would like to know what type of supplies you all use as preventative maintenance. I bought flex shaft lube already due to the fight I had with it but what else should I be using? If you could tell me what you use and how and why you use it I would appreciate it (ex. lube, epoxy, WD40). I have a general idea on things that are needed just have not done it yet and want it to be a good cleaning/maintenance session. Things I am looking for are:

1: What lube to use on the axis' and how YOU do it
2: General things to look for or tighten up before they become an issue that could have been avoided
3: What tools to buy that are needed to take it apart (ex. screwdrivers, sockets, screws)

Pretty much going to put together my repair/maintenance kit and want it complete as possible.

fwharris
03-12-2015, 09:08 PM
A great place to start is with the machine maintenance tutorials http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/maintenance/

It covers most of your list on things to check. As for lubes you probably will be getting several "this is what I use" so I will start with my choices...

Before lubing you should always do a good cleaning of the Y/Z rails and bearing faces, lead screws and corner posts. I us WD-40 sprayed on a rag. Others might use mineral spirits.

For the bearings I hold the rag tight to the face and move the truck side to side and up and down.

For the corner posts I lower the head down about and inch and spray WD-40 with the red tube at the top of the head at the corner post. Let the WD-40 run down between the post and head and then run the head up and down several times and then wipe down the posts.

For the lead screws I will work a rag in behind the screws and spray WD-40 on the screw. I then hold the rag on the screw and raise/lower the head. Take care not to trap your arm! :) Depending how dirty they are I will also use a tooth brush to help clean out the threads.

To lube all of these areas I use a dry lube http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_0__?productId=1059839 . This is DuPonts version and there are other brands as well. I spray in on the rag and then rub in to the surfaces.

Tools, phillips head screw driver and metric socket set.

Mugsowner
03-13-2015, 06:32 AM
A set of metric hex key wrenches. These will be used in many places on machine. A set of metric wrenches as well.