PDA

View Full Version : Finishing

jerrbitt
03-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Couldnot find a category concerning wood refinishing but I thought I'd try this.

Having a problem with a lacquer finish. I first sprayed the piece with Lacquer Sanding Sealer (Deft) and then applied lacquer. Everything fine thus far. Ran out of the Deft lacquer and bought some Watco lacquer from Lowes.
Applied another coat and the pieces have milky white spots. I sprayed the Watco on another piece of scrap wood and it appears to have a milky white finish – see picture.
So I’m assuming the Watco lacquer is bad or it interacted with the sanding sealer.
But my concern is how to I get rid of the white spots – streaks mostly. I tried rubbing it with mineral oil but that didn’t do the trick. And the nature of the pieces is such that sanding does not fit the bill.
Any suggestions?

fwharris
03-12-2015, 10:51 AM
You might try some denatured alcohol on a test spot to see if that might work.

DocWheeler
03-12-2015, 11:12 AM
I found this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148421-White-specs-in-lacquer-finish), not sure it will help.

Woodpecker
03-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Perhaps cleaning it with lacquer thinner and starting over? I have tried that on other projects and it cleaned up well.
Woodpecker