PDA

View Full Version : Bonding Glass to Wood

flyingemt
03-10-2015, 10:47 PM
All,

I have a shadowbox that I am trying diligently to finish for a retiring USAF Colonel. My original plan was to drill the glass with a diamond bit to secure the flag case inside. Well, 3 pieces of glass later, and my temper flaring, I've opted to try and bond the triangle to the glass.

I have Googled and it seems the best recommendation is GE Silicone II, but wanted to reach out the the Gods and see if anyone else has an idea.

As always, much appreciated....

Flying...

fwharris
03-10-2015, 10:58 PM
I would say that the silicone would be your best bet.

Mugsowner
03-11-2015, 06:33 AM
The silicone would be the best way to go. It will adhere to both surfaces well and when dry will make a strong elastic bond. The elastic part helps cushion the glass.

ChrisAlb
03-11-2015, 07:09 AM
Hey brother, long time. I agree a clear silicone would be best and you can use a relatively thin film. When dry it should be almost transparent. Hope all is well my friend.

flyingemt
03-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Dude!!! Welcome back!! Hope all is working out for you!!!

FYI, not worried about the transparency at all. More concerned with the bonding so that the flag triangle stays in place! The contact points for the triangle are behind the carve so doesnt matter. lol.....

SteveNelson46
03-11-2015, 09:24 AM
I have used GE Silicone II on many of my mirror and picture frame projects and it works very good. Only A small amount with virtually no squeeze out is needed. Otherwise it can be kind of difficult to cleanup. The only other problem is when you need to replace the glass or mirror.

If you have enough room, the best solution is to use tabs that you can either make or buy. I took my last mirror project to a local glass and mirror shop. They cut the mirror for me and gave me enough tabs to screw on the back to hold the mirror in .

ChrisAlb
03-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Dude!!! Welcome back!! Hope all is working out for you!!!

FYI, not worried about the transparency at all. More concerned with the bonding so that the flag triangle stays in place! The contact points for the triangle are behind the carve so doesnt matter. lol.....

In that case my friend, your in luck as the silicone will work great! Sent you a PM before.

Old Salt
03-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Silicone work well used it on a 18x48 glass 10 years ago sill ok
Gary