PDA

View Full Version : height of letters

aokweld101
03-09-2015, 08:36 AM
I have seen the tutorials on this subject before I seem not to find it again.

bergerud
03-09-2015, 08:50 AM
That is not an mpc, is it a png? You cannot really control the height of centerline text. (If that is what you are thinking about.)

aokweld101
03-09-2015, 08:58 AM
I know we have touched on this before...how do I change it?

aokweld101
03-09-2015, 09:02 AM
This is what I've done so far.

bergerud
03-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Change what? You cannot change the depth of centerline. Do you mean make the letters bigger?

aokweld101
03-09-2015, 09:08 AM
If you look at what I have I'm wanting the letters not to be as tall so they will fit in between the pocket cut and outside edge...

bergerud
03-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Don't you just draw an arc, use decorate text, and then change the pt size to what you want.

aokweld101
03-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Thank you Dan, I'm wanting to ship this today and as always you have helped me once again....Thank you...

SteveNelson46
03-09-2015, 09:49 AM
You can also just place the text with a 90 degree arc and use the sizing handles. In this example I changed the bit to a 60 degree v-bit. This method appears to cut a little smoother (maybe).

aokweld101
03-09-2015, 01:51 PM
I started on the base do I have to put tabs on manually or assign the 1/16 carving bit for the cut out it started the outside first and is going through the board I thought that it would do that last ... I thought that the pocket cuts would start first or the text.

bergerud
03-09-2015, 02:10 PM
If the outside of your shape was a pattern, you could make it pierced and it would cut through at the edge of the pattern with the carving bit. You would have to add your own tabs.

But, your pattern is a sweep. The 3d tool generated shapes do not work with pierce.

Make your sweep into a pattern and the apply pierce to the pattern and add tabs.

I suppose you could also make your sweep go through and add the tabs.

aokweld101
03-09-2015, 02:25 PM
I stopped the carve I'll play with it and see what happens... Also I'm going to take pictures of the rotary jig so you can see how I mounted it.

aokweld101
03-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Dan, I have the way that I have it mounted the end caps in living color. :D some of the pictures are what Mike posted about doing the rotory jig

SteveNelson46
03-10-2015, 12:34 PM
If the outside of your shape was a pattern, you could make it pierced and it would cut through at the edge of the pattern with the carving bit. You would have to add your own tabs.

But, your pattern is a sweep. The 3d tool generated shapes do not work with pierce.

Make your sweep into a pattern and the apply pierce to the pattern and add tabs.

I suppose you could also make your sweep go through and add the tabs.

Dan,

The "Pierced" feature will work with the sweep and revolve tools if you extend the line of the profile across to the center. In this example, I changed the sweep to a revolve and extended the top line to the center in the revolve tool setup. I also change the center to a pocket cut. I think it will cut much faster without the sloped side walls.

bergerud
03-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Nice trick Steve. You added a carve region behind the scene for which piercing does work. (Will not the machine now skim carve the whole surface? Maybe a 0 carve region on top instead of extending the sweep to center.)

It is, however, still important for all to know that piercing does not directly work on the 3d objects.

SteveNelson46
03-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Dan,

In this case, he really didn't need a pierced carving. The thickness of the board is only .75 inches and he can make the outside perimeter a cutout. All I really did was to select the outside perimeter, where the sweep was applied, and offset it to the outside by .25 inches. I then made the offset a pierced carve region. It works because the center part is filled in and the pierced feature doesn't try to make it part of the pierced carve region. I didn't get the horizontal line exactly at the top of the board so it probably will skim carve if the machine is accurate to.008 inches. I don't think a zero depth carve region would work. But, then again, it might with a merge and a clip applied.

I have made several carvings this way. The most recent was the lamp bases for my mesquite lamps. They were 1.5 inches thick so a pierced carving had to be used. IMHO, they came out pretty good.

mikemi
03-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Steve,

The lamp bases are gorgeous. I will have to find out if the hardwood store where I buy lumber sometimes can get some for me.

Mike

SteveNelson46
03-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Steve,

The lamp bases are gorgeous. I will have to find out if the hardwood store where I buy lumber sometimes can get some for me.

Mike

Thanks. Actually, the mesquite I used was firewood that was given to me. It took a lot of prep time to finally get good enough pieces to do the project. But, what the heck, the price was right.

aokweld101
03-10-2015, 08:28 PM
I've been making alot of litho's I'm going to set them up as mike suggested at photo shops here in town and see what happens... I went to .113 depth and stayed with 450 height.. I got it figured out at the cost of 8 feet of pipe I got out easy on learning..lol