PDA

View Full Version : Carving gone crazy

jkbogi
03-07-2015, 06:31 PM
I make lots of carved plates similar to this one. On this artwork (first time in the machine) the carving has gone crazy. Attached are pix of the carving and what it is supposed to look like. Any clues as to why it did this? I'm using a 1/32" bit set on best.

fwharris
03-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Looks like you lost board tracking. Check for warped board, bad edge on the board and etc.

jkbogi
03-07-2015, 06:40 PM
The board is in a sled, the same one I have used about 50 times.

fwharris
03-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Check the bottom edge of the sled that tracks on the brass roller for any wear and if using masking tape remove the old tape and put on some new stuff. Check the O ring on the brass roller also.

Mugsowner
03-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Warped board is what I would think is going on here. The board stopped a few times during x movements. A board not being flat will put to much pressure on rollers and stop to x movement.

bergerud
03-07-2015, 07:21 PM
It looks like y is slipping to me. The slipping is by many small amounts so it does not seem like the belt. I would say that either the bit is dull or there is something wrong with the y encoder.

bergerud
03-07-2015, 08:13 PM
After thinking a little more, I do not think it is a dull bit. The shift would, I think, go the other way. Instead, I think the computer is loosing track of the y position. Makes me think of a loose encoder disk or a problem with the FFC wire. (I suppose it could be bearings gone in the y gear box. How many hours on the machine?)

jkbogi
03-07-2015, 08:14 PM
I put in a new y motor last week along with a new y drive belt. Not only is the pattern alignment way off, the depth is also getting deeper as it travels through the machine. I've had a few glitches in the carvings in the past, but never anything like this.

jkbogi
03-07-2015, 08:18 PM
The machine ahs about 490 hours

bergerud
03-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Ok, Now I am going with the FFC wire. That is the flat ribbon that connects to the carriage. When it fails, many different things start to go wrong. Check the connections at each end and look for any kinks or cracks in the ribbon.

Digitalwoodshop
03-08-2015, 10:37 AM
You mentioned replacing the Y Motor, was it the whole assembly including the Gearbox? Looks like a slipping Y Gear due to bad bearings in the gearbox possibly caused by a dull but.